Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my car leans to the right (passenger side) about 3/4 inch. I figured it was the rear leaf
springs. I just changed out the springs and installed new slider mounts from Cobra Automotive. The
car still leans the same amount. I've measure at the wheel well and at the real tail lights. The front
does not lean. The frame rails look original in the rear! The front frame rails are a little smashed, but don't appear to be out of line. The car does have full sub frames. I'm not super concerned with looks, more concerned that I have alot more weight on one wheel then the other. The car aligns OK.

G

·
0 Posts
This is a long shot, but have you measured without the spare tire in place? I'm guessing it shouldn't really make a 3/4" difference, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well Bill if you din't launch it out of the corners so hard and do burnouts down the straight away maybe it wouldn't lean so much when you stop the car. It's just trying to get ready for you to do it again /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards
DavidG

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had the same problem with my 70 Mach 1. Mine leaned to the left in the rear. I too thought it was a case of tired leaf springs. When I restored the car I changed leaf springs out early in the process and found that the lean was still present. After removing the paint from the body I was able to determine that my car had been hit in the left rear qtr section some time during the first owners reign. The repair shop had brazed in a new full qtr panel and repaired the metal around the door latch assembly. What they didn't do was to make sure that the rear frame rail was parallel to the ground. I made several measurements trying to find the cause of the lean and determined that the rear left frame extension was slightly twisted. The bottom of the rail twisted in towards the middle of the car. This twist caused the leaf spring to also mount twisted. I then recalled how difficult it was to remove the grade 8 bolt that held the frame extension side of the old leaf spring in place. The bolt had to be cut out. I guess you can imagine my delight at having to cut out a grade 8 bolt! Anyway,I suggest you look at the frame rail extensions and look for a twist in their mounting. The bottom of the extension should be parallel to the ground. Hope this helps. BTW. A quick resolution to your problem if indeed it turns out to be a bent frame rail is to mount a lowering kit block on the high side rear. You will have to get the car's front end aligned afterwards,but it will remove the lean. Thats what I did until I was able to find a frame shop that felt like making the correction for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts