Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had the same problem with my 70 Mach 1. Mine leaned to the left in the rear. I too thought it was a case of tired leaf springs. When I restored the car I changed leaf springs out early in the process and found that the lean was still present. After removing the paint from the body I was able to determine that my car had been hit in the left rear qtr section some time during the first owners reign. The repair shop had brazed in a new full qtr panel and repaired the metal around the door latch assembly. What they didn't do was to make sure that the rear frame rail was parallel to the ground. I made several measurements trying to find the cause of the lean and determined that the rear left frame extension was slightly twisted. The bottom of the rail twisted in towards the middle of the car. This twist caused the leaf spring to also mount twisted. I then recalled how difficult it was to remove the grade 8 bolt that held the frame extension side of the old leaf spring in place. The bolt had to be cut out. I guess you can imagine my delight at having to cut out a grade 8 bolt! Anyway,I suggest you look at the frame rail extensions and look for a twist in their mounting. The bottom of the extension should be parallel to the ground. Hope this helps. BTW. A quick resolution to your problem if indeed it turns out to be a bent frame rail is to mount a lowering kit block on the high side rear. You will have to get the car's front end aligned afterwards,but it will remove the lean. Thats what I did until I was able to find a frame shop that felt like making the correction for me.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.