Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had been connecting my shop vac to the blast cabinet when blasting, but when using glass beads it would suck all the beads along with the dust into the vac. I'm too cheap to buy a quality dust collector especially after seeing the home made ones in action. I got this lid at Amazon, it fits a 5gal bucket and an additional 2.5" shopvac hose with adapters at Lowes. My shop vac has 2.5" hoses to I figured it would be easy to plug it all together and collect dust instead of beads. Well, the lid orifice is too small to fit the 2.5" shop vac hose, so I dug out my heat gun, softened up the bung and slipped in the shop vac hose. Unfortunately it still didn't work correctly. All the cyclonic dust catchers that I have seen had an extension inside to force the suction to come from the bottom of the container and this one didn't have anything like that, so I epoxied a 2.5" length of PVC so that it sits about 2" from the bottom of the bucket. It now works great! it will still suck up the glass beads, but they all seem to drop out of the air stream instead of getting sucked into the shop vac bag. The dust, being lighter seems to continue on to the bag.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Very nice. Can you provide s9me info on the lid. I’d like to build one as well.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. Like many, I have that constant struggle between to little time and money ! Sometimes I just have to hit the "easy" button and purchase something so I can move forward with a project.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
I have that same model, it is a noticeable improvement over just having the shop vac hooked up. It's not strong enough to prevent the interior of the cabinet from completely clouding up but it will improve visibility greatly if you stop for a few seconds. In my opinion I'd say it's at least a 60% improvement in functionality and worth every dime.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I had been connecting my shop vac to the blast cabinet when blasting, but when using glass beads it would suck all the beads along with the dust into the vac. I'm too cheap to buy a quality dust collector especially after seeing the home made ones in action. I got this lid at Amazon, it fits a 5gal bucket and an additional 2.5" shopvac hose with adapters at Lowes. My shop vac has 2.5" hoses to I figured it would be easy to plug it all together and collect dust instead of beads. Well, the lid orifice is too small to fit the 2.5" shop vac hose, so I dug out my heat gun, softened up the bung and slipped in the shop vac hose. Unfortunately it still didn't work correctly. All the cyclonic dust catchers that I have seen had an extension inside to force the suction to come from the bottom of the container and this one didn't have anything like that, so I epoxied a 2.5" length of PVC so that it sits about 2" from the bottom of the bucket. It now works great! it will still suck up the glass beads, but they all seem to drop out of the air stream instead of getting sucked into the shop vac bag. The dust, being lighter seems to continue on to the bag.

OK I got mine. I'm a bit confused why you needed to add the extension to the bottom of the bucket. According to the instructions, the blast cabinet connects to the curved tube. The vacuum connects to the open connector. When you turn on the system, the debris come in through the curved pipe, spirals around and gets deposited on the bottom of the bucket. The air is pulled out at the top. If you put the extension pipe in as you described, you would just pull right from the bottom where the media is being deposited. I would like to see a baffle on the outlet so it doesnt just suck up the air that is spiraling w'ith media in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts