Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

How do you keep your clutch pedal pad on? I've tried two different pads and the second one, I glued in place with weatherstripping cement. It still came off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
John Thomas

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
my guess is that your not getting the pad fully on in the 4 corners, i say that cause i know how much a PITA it can be to full get it on. also you could try the stainless pedal trim. it has tabs you bend around the back of the pedal....looks nice too.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my guess is that your not getting the pad fully on in the 4 corners, i say that cause i know how much a PITA it can be to full get it on. also you could try the stainless pedal trim. it has tabs you bend around the back of the pedal....looks nice too.
No such luck. The second time (when I used the weatherstrip cement), I actually removed the entire pedal assembly from the car, put on the pad perfectly, and installed a new stainless steel trim piece.

I though sure this would hold. I don't have any kind of hard racing clutch or anything like that either. It has a quite easy pedal, all the linkage was rebuilt, too.

Thanks anyway,
John Thomas

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I've had pads in the past that were subtlely too small for the metal flange. Being rubber, a number of things can contribute to cause the rubber to change shape over time-- a slight variation of rubber chemistry at injection into the mold, shrinkage over time or exposure to heat, U.V., etc. It seemed to be more a problem in the vertical. I shaved the pedal's metal pad a bit along the edge and contact cemented the surface (as you already tried) and the back of the rubber pad finally clinched the pedal and stayed on.

If all else fails I'll send you some aluminum banding strap that you can wrap around it; it'll also polish up realllll pretty ;)!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Try a hobby glue called "E6000". We had problems keeping my clutch pedal pad on, but this nuclear snot took care of it in quick business....Dickson

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I used construction adhesive. While I had to open a tube to do it and pitch the rest, it was worth the $2 to have it stuck for good. I too tried weatherstrip adhesive and Goop with no luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts