Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what will my car act like if my coil goes bad? it looks old and my car is running different. it doesnt accelerate like it should, then it will for a second then it wont, then it will etc. It has been on the car since i have owned it (3 years) but it looks like it has been around a while bit more. thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't answer your first question, but the first thing I would check is the connection at the coil. I recently had this problem, and it turned out that the "boot" connector had worked a little loose, and the fan action was causing an intermittent connection.

James

1965 convertible "White Pony", my own lesson in mechanical humility
1968 coupe "Jedstang" for the soon to be 16 y/o boy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the time when a coil goes , it's gone, dead. But sometimes they can get real goofy when they get
hot giving all kinds of wierd symptoms. They're cheap, replace it if you've got doubts. Do the points,
condensor, plugs, rotor, cap and wires too if you haven't already.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
An oil filled ciol can also act like the ignition is cutting out on turns caused by the disenigration of the interior baffles causing the oil to "Flow" from one side to the other.

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just so you know coils are tough. It might be ugly on the outside but it'll still work ok on the inside. Many coils have been replaced due to thinking that it was faulty but 95% of the time it is something else.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There's a check on a diagnostic machine for coil current. Seem to remember it pulls about 8 amps. More or less indicates a bad coil. There are two circuits that supply the coil with battery voltage, one from the ignition switch which is via a resistor wire and a second coming from the IGN terminal of the starter solenoid. The IGN connection is solid wire and supplys full 12v during start, as the key is released and the solenoid drops out, the voltage drops to a reduced voltage (about 8 volts). My guess is your resistor wire is deteriorated rather than the coil being bad. To check, connect a hot wire from the battery side of the solenoid to the coil, start the car and see if it runs smoother and better. If it does, the chances are the resistor wire is bad and needs to be replaced. Note: do not leave the hot wire in place or substitute common wire for the pink resistor wire. If you do, the coil will eventually smoke. You can use a common wire with a block style resistor (Chrysler part) in series instead of the pink wire. Both the pink resistor wire and the Chrysler style block ignition resistor should be on the electrical parts counter at Autozone, Pep Boys, Napa, etc.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the coil in my car went out it just completely died. It was almost brand new!! Luckily it was in my driveway. I replaced it in about 5 min and I was on my way again and I havent had problems for the past 2 years

70 fastback modified 351W Edelbrock water pump and rpm intake holly 650 front disc brake conv. Auto to toploader conv. Hurst comp. plus shifter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts