Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Convertible
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought my ‘66 about a month ago, I’ve had an issue with squeaking when I go over bumps, rough road, etc. It didn’t seem like a big deal because I’ve driven old Mustangs before and they’re not exactly built like tanks (no offense). Anyway, I searched old threads and found a lot of suggestions. I was suspecting a front suspension problem, so I checked everything out. Bushings were pretty new and the upper control arm bushing had been greased. I figured I was got be doing a lot of investigation and tearing apart.

However, to cut to the chase, today I was working on something else and when I relatched my hood I noticed a squeak at the hood latch. Turns out the squeaking was coming from the hood latch the whole time. I added a little grease to the places where things make contact and the squeaking magically disappeared. Probably still need to come up with a more permanent solution, but I was quite pleased. Just wanted to throw that out there for future searchers.

·
Registered
35,535 Posts
It didn’t seem like a big deal because I’ve driven old Mustangs before and they’re not exactly built like tanks (no offense).
I can assure you, tanks squeak. But as you have described, it is possible to get a Mustang to not squeak.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
946 Posts
Good catch. I had a slight squeak when my car was idling in the driveway, sounded like coming behind the firewall. But underneath the hood I couldn't hear it, a little annoying. Once I put my heavy duty export brace on the squeak went away, figured it was something in the dash shaking or rubbing. Not sure just glad car is nice and quiet now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts