Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the other day I drove my stang on the freeway for the first time. I was doing 75mph tops and I was still being passed( just for safties sake, i really don't need a ticket) So when my mom found out she flipped. She was all mad and telling me that I need more experience before i drive the freeway. I mean at 7:30 on a tuesday night traffic is light on 316. Well she told my dad, and he says that it was a stupid move cause my cars not built for speed. He said I shouldn't even take it past 60mph. Now I trust my dad on these things (even though he is a chevy man) but 60? The car was handling just fine at 75 and I could have taken it higher. Is he completly insane or is he remotly right?

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
How old is the suspension and steering on your car? If you haven't replaced the old parts then, yes, you were driving too fast. Safety first, speed second.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
saftey? bah! go faster!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif in chicago i usualy have to get to about 80 to even merge into the right hand lane on i-55 by my house... whatever, i get to where i am going faster /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

in all seriousness though, laurie is probably right about the old suspention stuff. your dad probably fliped on you because your mom fliped out on him. you may want to casualy remind him that when your car was new, the speed limit was 75 in most places. or better yet, just dont ever bring it up again, that usualy works with my dad.

- Jason

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Us parents are way too protective of our kids. I try to give my kids all the freedom I enjoyed as a teenager, and try to treet them as adults (I moved out on my own at age 17). As a parent, though, I know it's not always easy to let kids grow up. Listen to your parents, and ask why. They may have a good reason.

That being said, my '66 cruises best at 80mph (nicely built up 289 and AOD transmission). It even cruises real nice at 90, but anything over 100 and she starts getting a little light in the front end. BUT ... every bolt in my car has been replaced, and not very much is still the stock suspension and drive train.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
So I take it the speed limit is 75 where you live? And of course you weren't going over the speed limit which is against the law in the first place. And this is not a problem for you since you have had so many years of driving experience, especially on the freeway, right?

I think the biggest point your dad was trying to make, was with your inexperience behind the wheel of a car, and with some of the crazy drivers on the freeways now a days that disregard other folks safety, he would rather see you driving at a safer speed that would be easier for you to respond to other drivers just in case. Just my .02¢

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
When i was 16 my first driving lesson frm the mandatory drivng lessons ni ohio was to get on the freeway, go down an exit get off the freeway and drop the last student off at home. It was after dark, there was standing snow n the road and it was sleeting! The freeways are the safest ways to get places with how bad traffic is.

In defense of your parents, you have any idea what happens to there insurance prices if you get a stupid ticket? try to stay under 10% over the speed limit, 15% your pushing it.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Like the others said, I think its more with your inexperience than it is with the condition of your car.

I personally think that its not possible to go the speed limit on highways or else you yourself become a hazard. Keeping up with the traffic keeps you from getting tickets and keeps other drivers from driving over you

G

·
0 Posts
How long have you had your license? On my first driving lesson for my permit, the instructor made me get on the freeway right away. It's sounds to me like your dad is just trying to stay out of the dog house! 60?!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
ha, my stepdad flipped when he found me tearing appart an engine at 11:30 tonight :p

·
6,854 Posts
WHiz is right. And another thing Johnny,

Why the heck are you asking us what we think?

Your mom and dad told you what they expect. Just do it. Don't go asking a bunch of complete strangers their opinions so you can JUSTIFY not doing what your parents told you. They're your parents. Do what they tell you to do.

That's the best advice I can give.

Good luck with the being 16 thing. Remember, you only get to be 16 for one year, so try not to waste it.

Phil

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
My dad always said as long as I'm at home he makes the rules; but then he also taught me that no matter where you're driving' if you're slower than the rest of the traffic you're the hazard.
As for my 66's I feel safe with any of them up to and even over the 75 limit; but I also know what's been done and when to these cars.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Unlike friends (until you're over 25), parents aren't impressed with how fast you can drive. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Be safe, have fun and don't get caught!
D

·
Registered
977 Posts
Listen to your parents. They can tell you stories that may sound funny but what they experienced in their past would scare this crap out of you if it were to happen to you. Keep up with traffic. I hate slow pokes who back traffic up. The cop will single you out for driving slow. This leads to accidents. If the car can't handle it, fix it so that it can. If you can't afford it then take a different route until you can. A wrecked stang would be bad but your life would be worse if something went wrong at that speed.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
HoosierBuddy said it best. I didn't understand it until I became a parent, and neither will you. It's one of the perks of being in charge - you don't NEED a reason! They're your parents. Do what they say and don't whine about it. If you don't want to be treated like you're 16, then stop acting like it.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
if you haven't replaced your complete steering, handling, suspension system as well as brakes that WAS too fast. i drive mine up to 60 with old parts but am replacing everything now - then as fast as she will go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts