Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made this bar for my son's '67FB
Stared with a bar that we bought that did not fit right, too short by about 1/4" and the top part of the brackets(that I cut off) had at least an 1/8" gap when bolted in. Also it would have been pressing down fairly hard on wires on the stock distributor cap, misfire or cross fire just waiting to happen.
Before I get a bunch of your shock towers must be out comments, I know the whole history of the car, it had an easy life before it sat for 19 years as a mouse condo, the Export Brace fit tine, no rust issues, etc.
I cut the brackets off the repo bar and cut off the top part of the bracket as I would not be using the top holes as I tend to have a No New Holes & No Zip Ties policy, and the gap issue mentioned above.
Got a new piece of 1" steel tubing with thicker walls.
Had the guy at the local muffler shop I use bend it about 5 degrees in two spots 5" from the center, no charge. Bends give about 1 3/4" clearance over distributor.
Tack welded it in place.
Welded it the rest of the way, then ground down my ugly welds(I need more practice).
Some Eastwood etching primer and underhood black and Wa-Lah.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Nice job! I have some DIY parts on my car. Thinking back, it probably would have cost me less to buy repros, but they kept me busy and out of trouble.
Saying goes, "time is money"... but the way life goes, when you have the time, you don't have the money. And when you have the money, you don't have the time.
It's winter right now... I've got plenty of time :)

Reactions: dobrostang

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
I tend to have a No New Holes & No Zip Ties policy.
I certainly respect that approach in so many builds, but gee whiz, we are different. I had no compunction drilling new holes anywhere needed on mine, and I think zip ties are akin to "a better mousetrap".
Nice job crafting that custom bar! (y) :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have an original '66 GT-350. I also had a spare original Monte Carlo bar. I grabbed one of the two and restored it. Went to bolt it on the car and the holes did not line up. I think Shelby was throwing the bars on there and just eyeball drilling down through the brackets and into the inner fender. Because these two factory bars don't match by about a half a bolt hole.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zip ties can be useful but they will break in time.
Here is an example of my no zip ties.
For the AC hoses on my the '67 & '68 that we built and my two sons own. We could have used zip ties like the first pic or make the bracket we did that also serves as the brace for under the Export Brace as seen in the second pic.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Zip ties are definitely useful to get it going and functional.
Definitely allows ya time to come up with better ideas that will last.
Great idea!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Looks great and nice job!! I was thinking of doing the same thing but doing it with some stainless and tig welding it...Just another project down the road...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts