Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., I got my axle off last weekend. There were three dimples in the back of the differential housing, as in this picture. Do these serve a purpose? The two outer ones look like they are supposed to be there. The one, off center, in the middle, looks like someone backed into something. But now that I see this picture from palmaceae (sorry, I stole you picture), I believe it was intended to be there.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/568000-568999/568597_126_full.jpg

I pounded the middle one out, nice and smooth. Now, please, someone tell me I should not have done that! ::

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
OMG!
You straightened out the gear fluid vortex flow dimple! You won't get twenty miles out of that rear end! Just kidding!
Dave

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Uh, it's supposed to be there. At least it is on my coupe.

http://www.tucsonpony.com/bottom2.jpg

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I am getting that. I suppose I will go out and re-dent the housing. Anyone know what the purpose of it is???

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
What? You don't believe the gear fluid vortex flow dimple explanation?
Probably just a stamping/press alignment thing, no big deal. Of course it could change fluid capacity by a couple cc's. I wouldn't bother to re-install unless you're going concours.
Dave

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Just my guess but I think they provide support to the main bearings in the carrier.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I dunno why you wouldn't reinstall dents :: That's my favorite part, especially when I'm using a BFH. :joker:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Yea but you can use the old one on saturday night when you go bowling :0

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Every time you bend that metal it gets substantial weaker. I would leave it the way it is. If it actually is a support for something the chances of you getting it exactly "right" are about zero. So it is either going to work like it is, or you'll need to get another part.

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That's where the fill plug is on my '66. My guess is that plate is made with the dimple and was drilled and tapped for the plug When the fill plug moved to the gear unit itself, they just left the dimple.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Ford designed the original housing by using Kirk Douglas's chin as the prototype. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts