Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well...after adjusting this and tinkering with that I have come to the conclusion that the cam in my engine starts pulling at 3000 RPM and there's nothing I can do about it.

So, tell me about high stall torque converters???? I read an ad that said up to 2 1/2 times the torque....how does that work? Also, someone said to go with a proven technology like the B&N Super Hole Shot.

Anyone have any knowledge in this area? I am running 2:80 gears but will change them after the torque converter.

Thanks, Greg.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
It is my experience that a high stall torque covnerter will not give you power below its stall, but rather rob power since it is designed to allow the tranny to slip so you can safely power brake/line lock the car for a high RPM start without buring out your back brakes or causing high RPM drive drops that shock the driveline.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummm....maybe a set of 3:55's then instead of the high stall converter. I'm just wondering if a set of 3:55's by them selves is enough to bridge the gap?

Greg.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I've got a 73 vert with the 351C-4V and an automatic. It originally had 3.25 gears (255/60-15 tires). The 4V Cleveland is notorious for poor bottom-end torque. It pulls like a demon above 2500 rpm, though. I put in 3.89 gears to help with the low-end problem. The car launches OK but will still not spin the tires. I'm going to go to a higher stall converter (the factory stall is 1800 rpm) so that the motor can get into a higher rpm range from a standing start.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
If your cam is not producing much torque in the 0-3000 range then you need to get a stall converter to allow you to get to the 3000 rpm range more quickly. Gears alone will not do this for you. We've got a 2400 TCI converter in our 351W/FMX 69 SportsRoof and it really made a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Well, if you want to keep that cam, maybe Rhoades lifters, or something similar, will add some low end. My experience though is to replace the cam with something that will give you better low end. A high stall converter with 2.80s in the rear is not a good match. How else is the engine turned? For example, ignition, carb. etc.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
running deeper gears will cert help u out with low end torque. but dont go too excessive with the converter on the street , it will hurt driveability alot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts