Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share the progress on my latest project.
I am getting close to completing my EPAS installation on my 66. A BIG thank you to Budstoy, Tallguy, Wade and everyone else who have let me pick their brains for information on this project. I would not be where I am at with out all the help.

epas2.jpg

I bored out the Prius input shaft on my lathe for a press fit with the upper section of the long shaft, welded and then drilled a hole for a grade 8 bolt. I also drill the telescopic section and installed a roll pin.

EPAS.jpg

I will do a test fit and cut the long shaft to fit the Borgeson adapter. When I get everything all lined up I will remove it all for painting. Hopefully I will be able to do a test drive later this month.

Thanks, yarb

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good! I was able to drive mine for the first time in December and the steering feels really good to me.
How was the return to center when making a turn? I seen where some said you had to bring it back, others said theirs returned with no problem. Probably has a lot to do with front end alignment.

·
Registered
957 Posts
How was the return to center when making a turn? I seen where some said you had to bring it back, others said theirs returned with no problem. Probably has a lot to do with front end alignment.
Return to center was not good as in felt like none at all but it did not bother me at all. I could mess with the alignment, but not at that stage yet as still only have 30 miles on the restoration.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did mine over two years ago and still the best mod I have done. Have fun with it. Note: I installed an on/off toggle on mine just in case I have any electrical issues.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
That looks far lower profile than I was imagining...not even noticeable unless you are looking for it...I may consider doing this myself, depending on how much control I have over the amount of assist. Looks good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
^ I tend to agree. I've had my eye on EPAS too but the thought of doing a u-turn and having to unwind the wheel as I come out of it is a deal killer for me. I heard of some people improving this thru alignment tweaks, but I'd think those would have to significant alignment tweaks. I'm subscribing to this thread to see how it all goes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did mine over two years ago and still the best mod I have done. Have fun with it. Note: I installed an on/off toggle on mine just in case I have any electrical issues.
What did you toggle, main power or ignition feed?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What did you toggle, main power or ignition feed?
On this subject...is the return-to-center issue still there without the power being on? Just wondering if its a gearing thing or a power assist thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts