Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off my '68 fastback at the painter's in early November. Unlike the painter who had my '69, this guy did more in 2 days than the last guy did in 2 weeks! I'm beyond stoked that I've found a talented and hardworking painter to take on my fastback. He's been finishing up a Porsche 356 for a customer while working on my car- the Porsche is about done so he's now able to start the body work on my '68.

IMG_7589-1 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_2487 by armon7, on Flickr

He and his brother stripped off all the paint and laid down some epoxy primer in preparation for body work. Believe it or not, they did virtually zero body work on the car- she is VERY solid! The body panels have been aligned and the gaps look fantastic. The glass will be pulled before final sealer/paint.

These are the most recent pictures he's sent me, I'm actually driving down tomorrow (they're 2.5 hours away) to drop off more parts and check out the progress. Before anyone asks, it will NOT be yellow! ;)

IMG_2338 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_2339 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_2341 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_2340 by armon7, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS !!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Can’t wait to see your car painted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My 67 fb had been at the painters since the end of July. Had a delay because he got sick but im hoping to have color on it soon

·
Registered
84 Posts
It looks like there are two antenna holes (one in the right front and one in left rear)... Is one of them getting welded up?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Armon, that is so cool! Congrats and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Congrats and you’re very wise to expand your geography when looking for a painter. The right guy is worth the flatbed or uhaul trailer. The wrong guy is never worth, it no matter the price or how close he is.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That is exciting Happy!! You're killin' us not telling the color! Is it a surprise? Keep this post updated until it's finished, k? There's paint in my future and hope it's a good dream not a nightmare....

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Nice. Looks like you found a good fitting deck lid.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like there are two antenna holes (one in the right front and one in left rear)... Is one of them getting welded up?
Yes, the one on the passenger side fender will be welded up. One of the previous owners mounted the antenna on the rear driver’s quarter panel as part of his Shelby clone process. I actually like it so it will stay back there!

Congrats and you’re very wise to expand your geography when looking for a painter. The right guy is worth the flatbed or uhaul trailer. The wrong guy is never worth, it no matter the price or how close he is.
That was a lessoned learned. In hindsight, I should have pulled the car out after a few months. Not worth it!

Nice. Looks like you found a good fitting deck lid.
It was impossible trying to find an original! I settled for a repro sold by CJ’s that seems to fit well. Thank you again for sending me contact info to this shops!

I believe the painter will be using PPG base/clear paint. As for color, a few people do know, but I might have to keep it a secret for everyone else like I did for the ‘69 ;).

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not too much going on due to the holidays, but the painter did get all the extra holes welded up. Someone had mounted '69/70 sport mirrors, then used a weird combination of filler and some kind of paper backing to fill in the existing holes (on top of wallowing out the holes for the nutserts).

Image-1-3 by armon7, on Flickr

Image-1-4 by armon7, on Flickr

Image-1-5 by armon7, on Flickr

New holes will be drilled in the original location for the factory style remote mirrors.

The emblem holes on the fender received the same filler/paper treatment by the PO to shave them. I'm having them all welded up. We did find another set of holes for an unknown set of emblems that were dented in then filled in with lead. Anyone know what could have gone here? I circled the area in one of the attached pictures. I know this car was ordered through the "Rainbow of Colors" promotion by Mel Burns Ford and was the only car to be special ordered light yellow paint. The original color looks very similar to Meadowlark yellow. As potentially rare as that sounds, I'm not a fan of the original color.

The original 390 was also promptly blown up racing very early on in its life and replaced with a December '66 dated PI 428 block.

IMG_2680 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_7964-1 by armon7, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Will the painter paint the car with all the panels and headlight & taillight extensions off the car?
Hope so, it allows for much better paint coverage around edges. Especially for pieces ie headlight & taillight extensions. If those painted on car and later you have to remove one, you risk cracking the paint at the edges.
Also on my last picture note the color paint line is at the firewall edge, not the apron edge.
Attention to details now, is huge later. Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wow, so I suck at updating this thread.

The car is painted, back at my house, and 90% reassembled :p.

Buy anyways, here's a series of photos in chronological order.

The trunk was sprayed with Lizard Skin after being prepped with primer.

IMG_3093 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_3092 by armon7, on Flickr

While all this was happening, I stripped all of the fiberglass panels and painted them with SEM trim black. These panels also received sound deadener from Noico. It made a significant difference! The panels went from sounding very hollow to solid- almost like knocking on a door. I have a few panels that I can do a comparison video on later.

5CDB9579-DFF1-4F9B-82E2-04B62CD11625 by armon7, on Flickr

A9278DE6-17A2-4D5C-AC89-90805FB8EDCB by armon7, on Flickr

There wasn't much bodywork needed- the car was remarkably straight!

AABD7AA8-6C97-485A-BA3A-B5C8056FA858 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_2893 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_2837 by armon7, on Flickr

Final prime and ready for color!

A178A374-B44B-4732-B84C-D847893B404B by armon7, on Flickr

247885AC-146A-42CE-88AE-12AD36B465A6 by armon7, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In all honesty, I really hate yellow.

Green on the other hand, I love. The Bullitt chase scene is what got me into mustangs, I even had a picture of the car growing up. I knew exactly what my '68 fastback would look like from day one, so picking the color was easy. The hard part was trying to find the right shade- apparently there's like a million versions of highland green.

And no, I will not be asking $3.74 million for my highland green '68 fastback. It's not for sale!

Anyways, I'm glad I've fulfilled this childhood dream :). I'll be making a trip to SF once everything settles down around here (no jumping).

IMG_3372 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_3369 by armon7, on Flickr

Justin had someone come in to replace the windshield and reinstall the back window. The headliner was redone as well.

IMG_3389 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_3388 by armon7, on Flickr

The tail light panel and trim was next. Justin went with a base coat of black with flat clear. This car received the full Bullitt treatment.

IMG_3384 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_3383 by armon7, on Flickr

87A5E490-13E3-455B-9B52-A2ACD6DF657B by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_3453 by armon7, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 50 Posts