Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car has only been back on the road for a month or so. I did a bare metal respray and other odd jobs and with life getting in the way, it took a lot longer than I hoped.

So on Sunday, I took it to an American car show at a local museum which is only about 10 minutes from my house. Also, I found out about a Mustang owners club which is just for my area I live in and I joined that as well and I even got my car on their club stand at this show.

So this all took place at Brooklands Museum, which is a very historical site. It started off as one of the first purpose-made race tracks in 1907. All the corners are banked so the cars can drive at full speed all the time. This is the days before health and safety and many a driver would meet their doom going over the top of the banked sections into trees.

When WW2 started, the site was repurposed for the war effort and planes and other military stuff was manufactured there. This, unfortunately, meant the race track was broken up and it was never used again. But many sections still survive. After the war, the site was used for manufacturing commercial passenger jet planes which some success, but we would never be able to compete with Boeing and in the 1970s this all stopped. And in the 1980s after lots of investment, the site was turned into a museum to preserve what was still remaining there.

So now as a museum, all the different buildings are packed full of vintage race cars and motorbikes ranging from fairly recent right back to the early 1900s. And there are hangers with lots of planes from the dawn of flying to the 1970s. And they were even lucky enough to get a Concorde plane donated to them. It was not one used commercially and was an early test plane. So inside, one end is fitted out with seats and the other end is full of test equipment.

Some pictures of my car on the Mustang club stand ( the black 69 Fastback ). Be gentle with me. I am no car restoring expert and this is no show winning car. It is what I would call a very nice driver car and that is eaxtly what I want. I am a have a go sort of person. I have done everything on this car. It was stripped down to nothing and bare metal painted and put back together. In the past, I rebuilt the engine. About the only thing I got someone else to do, was to put the tyres on the wheels.

Some pictures of one of the banked corners. Normally they would let the public drive their cars on this, but this time they had it fenced off. The pictures do not really show how steep it is. If you walk to the top, it is really hard to stand there because of the angle.

This is a hill climb test. Most cars after the 1950s can get up this with ease, but in the early 1900s, this would have been quite a test for a vehicle to get up. Unfortunately, at this show, they were not allowing people to use this as they had before. A shame as I was keen to drive my Mustang up it.

Jeremy.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
The car looks great, nicely done. Cool looking track, too bad it was closed.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for some additional interest, I found these 2 vintage film clips. These were in the final years of the track being used before WW2 started. Many of these cars that survived are now there as restored museum exhibits. But the cool thing is, they all work and they often get them out for different events and run them up and down a long straight bit of the remaining track.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Looks like a fantastic car to me. Great job! Also looks like a fun day. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
What a cool place for a car show. Excellent back story. Your car looks wonderful in the photos and I am sure quite nice in person...a 69 fast back is probably the most coveted car of any real world mustangers desires. I also appreciate a car that the owner has personally done alot of the rebuilding, sometimes its nice to buy a turn key, or farm everything out due to time or health reasons....but not because your afraid to learn or try! So how did the mustang club react to the new addition? 3 HIP HIP HOORAYS??????!!!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a cool place for a car show. Excellent back story. Your car looks wonderful in the photos and I am sure quite nice in person...a 69 fast back is probably the most coveted car of any real world mustangers desires. I also appreciate a car that the owner has personally done alot of the rebuilding, sometimes its nice to buy a turn key, or farm everything out due to time or health reasons....but not because your afraid to learn or try! So how did the mustang club react to the new addition? 3 HIP HIP HOORAYS??????!!!!!
They liked the car very much and they only have a handful of 69's in the club. This club is very small and has only been going for a couple of years. They have about 150 members at the moment and they are about half and half with classic and modern Mustangs.

This club only covers my county I live in which is about a 600 square mile area and there will only be so many people with Mustangs. But I like this as they meet 3 - 4 times a month at pubs not that far from me and go to various shows whenever they can. There is already another Mustang club for the whole of the country which has been going since 1979 which I am also a member of. But I go to less of their events as they can be quite far from where I live

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nicely done. Beautiful car! Thanks for sharing the history of the location as well. Too bad you could not take a few laps on that banked track. Looks like fun.
Do you know if they built the Spitfire or Lancaster Bomber at that location? My Dad was a nose gunner in the B24 Liberator (Pacific) and I always thought the Liberator looked a lot like the British built Lancaster.
Ron

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nicely done. Beautiful car! Thanks for sharing the history of the location as well. Too bad you could not take a few laps on that banked track. Looks like fun.
Do you know if they built the Spitfire or Lancaster Bomber at that location? My Dad was a nose gunner in the B24 Liberator (Pacific) and I always thought the Liberator looked a lot like the British built Lancaster.
Ron
They made Wellington Bombers and Hawker Hurricanes there during WW2. These planes were made at other locations as well.

After the war, various propellor passenger planes were made. And ending with the Vickers VC-10 jet passenger plane. One of these VC-10's was purchased by the Sultan of Oman. When the plane was retired in the 1980s, it was donated back to Brooklands and is now an exhibit. It is fitted out in complete luxury for the time and has bedrooms with double beds, bathrooms with gold plated taps and other luxuries.

·
Premium Member
7,493 Posts
What a great story. Thanks! Your Mustang looks really sharp among the others. Keep us posted on your Surrey exploits.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And I forgot to say thanks for the nice comments. It makes all the hard work worthwhile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts