Vintage Mustang Forums banner

My first ever and last - "What's it worth question"

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  georgiabadger 
#1 ·
What would be the value, or desire, for a 351M with an FMX tranny ? How much would you pay for a complete setup (oil pan to air cleaner, etc...) of the above mentioned combo ? or would you...?

#5 ·
IF it is a running engine, doesn't smoke, and the trans is good, its a good candidate for a truck. otherwise its pretty worthless.

#10 ·
The ONLYTHING worth any money from that is the bellhausing and the plate between the block and bellhausing,,,the bell will fit a 429/460 to run a FMX in a Mustang.The bell and plate worth around 30 bucks tops.351 Modifieds after 1971 are pure garbage,,weak cranks,VERY low compression,bad heads,bastard rods andpistons,and 99 percent of them were 2 barell engines. In all the years i have been fooling with Fords and all the full-size cars and trucks i have popped hoods on over the years in salvage yards,,i have only seen one factory 4V modified engine. Why in the world someone would ever want one of these boatanchors i will never figure out, a 429 or 460 will slide right into the hole,,just change the torque convertor on your C6 for the 460. Modifieds run a small-block style pilot in the end of the crank,,460 has the big one.Bellhausing pattern and starter will bolt right up,,but flywheel is different on 460 versus 351M,,,easy to find piece too.20 bucks used all day long.I took the sickly 351M out of my 77 F-150 supercab and dropped in a 1971 429 Thunderjet,and really woke the truck up,,and got TWICE the gas milage. 351M's were notorious gas guzzelers with NO horsepower.Don't know what was on Ford's minds to produce such a pitifull engine like that.

#11 ·
If I were putting it into a full sized pickup, I'd give you 2-3 hundred for it. If I was putting it into anything else, you'd need to give ME 2-3 hundred *LOL*.

I had a 351M in my '80 Bronco, and a 351W in my '81. I pulled a dump truck out of the mud with the '80, the '81 didn't have enough get up and go to get up and get out of its own way.

In other words, the 351M is a great truck engine, but a lowsy performance engine. The 351w is a great performance engine, but a lowsy truck engine.

Just my .02.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.