Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine, Josh, has some easy-going parents. His mom lets him have his dad's non-running truck in the driveway (although he is working on it), along with an '87 Bronco II she got him a little while ago (to actually have a car that runs), a '75 F250 with a blown engine, which he is going to use to get his dad's old truck running, and a 1981 Toyota Corolla he just bought.

He paid $100 for it. It runs (for the most part) and drives. And that's about it. It has a lot of body damage (mostly caused by us) and no interior. The guy Josh bought it from took out all the interior except for the seats and seatbelts. All the glass is gone. The doors are off, as is the hood. It has some old 4 cylinder in it (I have no idea what size), and it is old enough that it is both carburated and rear-wheel drive. The guy that Josh bought it from (our friend Mike) also decided to put 3" lift springs off of his F150 onto the car. So the car actually sits about 4" higher than stock. It also has no exhaust after the manifolds-ish, and no working lights, except for one front marker light. Definitely not street legal.

So, we took Josh's Bronco II (I'll talk about that in a minute), our friend Mike's '90-something F150, and our friend Cory's '87 Toyota truck to this off-roading place. (Brown's Camp, for anybody who might be interested) We took the Corolla out in the quarry (a good sized area, filled with rocks about the size of an egg, and two large dirt hills)

That was an absolute BLAST! We did some doughnuts and e-brake skids, and actually got the car to go up the hills. We also took it on some trails, and eventually took it on some trails meant for dirtbikes, and maybe ATV's. Definitely not cars, but we did it. We made it about 1/2 mile up the trails, until there was a hill too steep for the car. The entire way, the trail was basically a V-shaped groove in the ground, and the car rode the upper edges. There was like two feet between the bottom of the rear differential and the ground. We did all sorts if crap to it, and it still took it. I drove it down a little (like 3 feet high, but sort of a steep slope) ridge/hill thing alongside one of the roads. We drove it up and down the hills, and did all sorts of dumb stuff. It was great. And, I got a wound to show off. Cory, the guy with the Toyota truck, came in front of us and skid out. He threw a bunch of rocks out behind him (at us) and, without a windshield, they went straight into Josh's and my face. One of them hit me in the chin, and it started bleeding. Not much, but I like it.

The only thing that made me sad is that I forgot my digital camera. There were so many great shots I wished I had gotten. But, there is good news. There were a couple of people there, from some off-roading website. They were taking pictures of us in the Corolla. She said they would probably post them in a few days, and I got her card, so I'll check that out, and post a link when they go up. And I will definitely take a camera next time (hopefully within a week or two).

Oh yeah, about the Bronco II. It was a blast to drive as well. Although it felt like it was going to tip over several times, it never did. The thing was pretty fun to drive. The power steering was lighter than my car's. (which surprised me a lot) Even though it was a V6, it still hauled off pretty well. And it held it's own on the trails and in the quarry. It really surprised me with it's comfort and fun. And, even though it is pretty messed up (the driveshaft clicks sometimes, the transmission has a problem going in reverse, and something got spilled in there and left, and now the car stinks really bad, as in we brought a can of Lysol and almost used it up bad), it was still a hoot to drive.

Oh yeah, one more thing. We do have an off-road permit for the car, and only drive it on official off-road areas. No public streets, etc. I just thought I would share what was probably one of my best days ever with you guys, and maybe hear some similar stories? I'll get some pictures of the car in the next couple of days, and some pictures of it at work sometime in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Some really dumb girl i knew in highschool decided to take a "shortcut" in her mom's relatively new car. Well, once they got back to the street and put some miles on it, it sounded worse and worse and worse.

To put a long story short, I'm not even going to say anything else except "Cracking your oilpan really sucks!"

That's one of those stories I'm glad I heard about through the grape vine rather than witnessing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back in high school, there were a couple guys a few years older than me that took their parent's AWD minivan out for some four-wheeling in an empty (muddy) field, not really understanding that AWD doesn't really mean 4WD. They ended up getting stuck (no kidding) and the four of them took turns to try to push it out (didn't succeed). Found out later that the field they got stuck in is regularly sprayed with human waste by a local septic-system cleaning company. Pretty funny to those who weren't there. ::

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Way back when........winter time in Chicago suburb. Every winter, the village would flood a low ball field and make a skating pond. Idea was to take my Mother's Merc sedan down the hill building up speed hit the pond, lock up the wheels, put it in reverse, cut the wheel all the way, and let out the clutch gassing the **** out of it. It would spin like a ballerina. Cops caught us but couldn't figure out a ticket to write so let me go with warning. Later a kid tried it in a 46 Ford, hit a dry spot and dumped it over.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Ah, the exuberance of youth - ::

"Behold the child, by natures kindly law,
Pleased by a rattle, tickled by a straw.."

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
My brother and his friend buried his friends Pathfinder to the windows in a muddy creek. The tow truck driver told them "Your F*&%ed" and left. It took 2 days to get them out with an F350 Dually tied to an F150 4x4 tied to the Pathfinder. When my brothers friend left after pulling him out of the mud he was throwing mud clumps 20 feet in the air as he entered the entrance ramp to the highway. I miss that goofy bastard :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
did the same many years ago with a Pinto. It had a rusted out freeze plug and various other
things wrong with it that made it a non-street car. After a few summers of teenage boys playing with it it had
a 302 in it with an F-250 rear end and straight front axle. took the hatch off to put a cherry picker
on it so we could haul stuff around in the hatch area. No windows and a big skid plate on the front.
Our last best idea was a big serrated blade on the rear bumper so we could back through the brush
that constantly grew around here. A buddy of mine was driving it backwards and hit about a 6" tree
for the 3rd time before shearing it off. Then he dropped it butt first into a 10 foot wash.
We were unable to remove it before the next BIG rain came along. We checked as the water rose several times.
After 3 days of rain and the wash being full to about 12 feet. (Yes it was full and fast)
We never saw it again!
Bruce (Undisclosed location)

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
I used to go offroading in my coupe. Not for fun, but out of necessity. Being an archaeologist, it had to be my field vehicle for several years. The worst thing I ever did to it was drive it up a semi-dry creek bed barely clearing several large rocks. Actually, I didn't clear them all, which is why I needed a new tranny pan for the concours trailered judging the car now competes in. The engine support brace also needed a little work. :eek:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took a bunch of pictures of all the cars and trucks today, but my stupid camera lost them. I'll try again, and be more careful this time.

I just got a line on an off-roader for myself. My friend Brian has Subaru wagon. I have no idea of the year or model, but I know it's all wheel drive, and a 4 speed. It's a prime candidate for this sort of thing. He says he'll sell it to me for $300. I can keep it at Josh's house, which is close enough that I can work on it when I want, especially since Josh has a whole lot of tools that I don't at his house.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I can remember doing something similiar with a '67 Oldsmobile 98. I remember hitting some holes hard enough to flatten the tires. Drove it home on the flattened tires and laughed really hard when one of the tires came off of the rim. We drove for about the last mile on the steel rim with no tire throwing sparks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts