Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was replacing the ugly iron bracket that hold the alternator and smog pump (CA delivery car), and in the process I needed to remove the water pump pulley to gain access to the bolts. Well, basically I put a crescent wrench right through one of the tubes on my Be Cool aluminum radiator. This totally sucks because I just finally got the car to the point I was happy to drive it for long distances. Is there any way to get it repaired of do I have to buy a new radiator? Also, if it can be repaired could it cause problems in the future? :pissed: I hate myself right now!

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Yes , take it to a radiator repair shop . Worst case they will have to cut the one tube off and weld it shut . I doubt it will lose enough capacity from 1 tube to hurt anything .
Next time , stick a thick piece of cardboard infront of the radiator core or just remove it .

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
John, you sound like my boss, he hates crescent wrenches too. I use them all the time, you just have to know when and where.

Joe

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Cresent wrenches have their purpose. They are there to be thrown at people who ask incredibly stupid questions while 3/4 of my body is under a car!!!
Slip-joint pliers are for your average dumb question where you want to shoo someone without inflicting permanent pain :lol:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
racheting box end wrench works good in that situation. A little harder to put through a radiator also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had my first dofus of the year today. I bought a new set a window crank handles and I installed a new knob on the door panel side of the handle. There I said it. :lol:

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Any wrench that gets the job done is fine, the mechanic needs the skill to quit pulling on the wrench the moment it slips or the fastener breaks loose......otherwise get ready to scratch/damage the car or your knuckles.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You can repair the fin with epoxi.Just make sure you clean Ford recomends this repair prociedure for aluminum radiators in it's shop manuals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts