Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a gas tank for a 67 coupe. I opened the box and one of the corners are bent up > than 90 degrees. Will I be able to bend that corner back down in a way that most people wouldn't be able to tell that it had been bent?

If so, anyone want to give me any pointers on how to approach this "repair". Previously, I would have taken some large channel locks and just bent it down as close to normal as possible. But, with the wealth of info and experience here, I wanted to get some input first.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Mine were bent, too, when I ordered a new one. I used a hammer and a small length of 2x4 to spread the load, otherwise it'll get wavy if you're tring to hammer down, or bend down, on a small spot.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Mine were bent also. Sounds like a common problem. I used some locking plier to bend it back to the general area then used a hammer and small 2x4 piece of wood to finish the job. Looks good enough to me and I am pretty picky.

Mark

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Got mine from NPD the corners WERE NOT BENT, I would send that sucker back, your messing with a GAS tank.
Think about it.
:p

·
Registered
656 Posts
got MINE from NPD, and one corner WAS bent.....it's just luck if you get one that didn't receive ANY shipping dings....but as previously stated, a hammer and 2x4 work well, after initial bending with some type of plier.....just fill'er up completely afterwards to check for leaks *just in case*

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
clamp that bent corner down in your bench vice and hand bend the tank opposite direction of the bend till she is nice and straight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts