Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to thank everyone now. I found the two numbers that match underneath the fenders. I just didn't know where to look. It took some BIX paint and stain remover and a little elbow grease and WALA! I will be calling the DMV in both States and pitching a B_ _ _ _ to Ohio DMV. This car only has 47,214 miles on it and it shows in the good condition that it's in. The only thing that it is missing is the correct door tag and the original 289-2V. On the title it says "Warning: Odometer Discrepancy". They probably saw the 65 instrument panel and knew that it was not a 66 so the typed that in there. You would think that the red flag would have shot up and been rejected. Where the heck did this guy get a title and tag to screw this all up? Why couldn't he get a frig'n 65 title? I now have to call FoMoCo here in Dearborn and talk to a girl I know in HR. She can point me in the right direction to look up this VIN. It's in the basement archives. $35 and hour it is going to cost me to do a manual search. I think it's worth it now that I have the correct VIN. I just need to know the code numbers to match this beautiful beast. It pays to do your homework. Mine took me five days.
Thanks again everyone. I'll try and post some pics soon. Chow.

Come on Woodward Dream Cruise.
Brent

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
If your looking for original paper work on a 65/66 Mustang at Ford, you might want to rethink spending $35.00 an hour for some one to research it, because all of the early Ford records through 66 was destroyed. Sounds like someone needs a little extra cash on the side, and is going to ring up a few hours of searching for an end result of "Sorry, don't have what your looking for" deal, now pay up! Now if your talking about a DMV search, never mind what I said, as I have seen so many different things at DMV, that anything is possible with a little persistence!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Ropester,
Did you try the Ford customer service for a "history 999" report? It's a 1-800 # (sorry, at work - don't have it with) and FREE. Don't know about your year but it's worth a try. Betting another VMFer can supply # (also in Mustang monthly).
Dave

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
OK, I'm kind of unclear what you have here??? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Is the car a 65 or 66?
What does the hidden vin# say (65 or 66)?
What does the door tag say (65 or 66)?
Do you have a title that matches the hidden vin, or the door???

It sounds to me like you have a 1965 car, with a 1966 door and title....................True?
If so, you have a potentially SERIOUS legal issue! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The car, not the door, MUST match the title. Could be a simple miunderstanding, or it could be worse......

What do you have????? Let us know.

It DOES pay to do your homework..../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is a 65 and the title and door tag is for a 66. I am having an officer come by tonight to do a RT56 report on the car. It's a vehicle inspection report. I can get a list of the past owners back to 1-6-92 for $2.00 from the state of Ohio. By having a RT56 report done with the police it will change the title back to the original vin. I get to keep it if it is not stolen. If it was stolen the owner whom it belongs to will have to pay me what I paid for it. The VIN under the fenders starts with *5F07C.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... SHE"S MINE!!!! It's not stolen! So at least that's what the police say after running the VIN. I called Ford today and they said that there is no charge to search for the build sheet on this vin. She said she can't guarantee when a copy of it will be in my mailbox but it will be mailed to me no charge. I should have asked her out she had a nice voice with a great personality. Too bad she lives in Canada. Here is the number to call if you ever need it... 800-392-3673. This is the VIN research department number. The homework is now over and it's time for the shop quiz... Anybody know where to get certification to have these aprons restamped? One of the aprons can almost be read completely. The other one is in perfect condition to read but the bottom of the apron is gone and has to be replaced. I need to replace three out of the four to make this machine look perfect under the hood. The car only has 47,000 and some odd miles on it. Well my friend just showed up so were off to the garage... Talk to you later.
Brent

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If it was stolen the owner whom it belongs to will have to pay me what I paid for it.

<hr></blockquote>I personally have a real problem with that statement.....If my car were stolen & sold to you, do you think I'd buy it back, or have the police confiscate "my" vehicle, as I have the title, and a police report that says it was stolen!

So, they are going to issue you a new title with the 5F07Cxxxxxx number on it? Seems wacky to me. Just MHO....

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's called insurance sir. Your insurance company would give you the money. What you choose to do with it is your call. That's the way the system works. I've been through this with some equipment that was stolen from a company that I used to work for. The eq. was pawned in at a pawn shop and a co-workers daughter saw the equipment with the companies name on it. We called the police and we had to buy it back for what the pawn shop gave out in cash for it. I know what it feels like to have stuff stolen from me. Just two months ago, someone stole my lawn mower, weedwacker and a small air compressor out of my garage. It was slightly my fault for leaving the door open. I now have an alarm on my garage. Yes I would like to have my crap back but what am I to do??? My deductible is more than the claim amount. I also know what it feels like to be held up at gun point. Five times to be exact. So if you don't like that statement that's your opinion. Have you ever had a car impounded? Did you have to pay for the towing? did you have to pay a for it being impounded? You have to pay for what ever anybody else has to do with the car being stolen or towed or impounded. That't just the way it is.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In addition, say you go out and buy a dog for example. You pay $500 for a greyhound. One day you are out walking your dog and someone stops you and says "Hey that dog looks familiar. Where did you get her or him?" You say "I just bought her from a classified add". Well it comes out to be a stolen dog. What!!!!? I am out of my $500 that I used to buy this dog!? No the owner has a reward out for his dog and is willing to buy him or her back. Sound familiar? Just to let you know the car was not stolen and I paid cash for it. I had the correct vin ran last night by the local police station and by the State of Ohio police. It's a done deal. Don't get mad at me pal for what someone else did. I am trying to bring this car back to life period. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Sorry, but you forcing me to give you money to get back what I LEGALLY own is extortion.

So, If I go steal Bob's (uninsured) 1966 Shelby, and sell it to you with a title for a 1965 Mustang for $10K, is it yours or his??? It's his, and it will be confiscated and returned to HIM. He will NOT pay you the $10K you foolishly gave for a car that does not match the title. Now, you may have some legal recourse with ME, but since I'm a car thief, me & your money and probably going to be long gone before you ever figure it out.

Anyways, it doesn't all matter - sounds like you're on the path to re-VIN ing your car.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Take a deep breath, everything is going to be OK.

Post a picture when you get a chance, I'll watch for you @ Woodward.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't buy the car foolishly. I bought the car from a guy’s son who just moved to San Francisco after graduationg from college. It was half restored. Just because the VIN didn't match the car is not a reason to leave it alone. What if it was a GT? If the car was stolen he would be prosecuted not me. I have “Buyer’s Rights”. The title is in his name, not mine. He was just the dummy to let it go. Restoring cars is in my blood. My uncle restores at lease two cars a year and right now he is working on a 63 convertible corvette that he bought for 5K. He has about 45 cars sitting out in his 53-acre lot. Are you looking for a car? His health is starting go so he is slowing down now. He about 56 years old now. He also has a 65 or 67 Satellite Convertible that he is working on too. There has only been two found in the US. He has one of them. The other owner heard about it and flew in and offered him a lot of money for it just the way it was. My uncle said NO. He picks up cars for $7 a piece sometimes. He has Corvairs, 55-57 Chevy 2 door posts, Bell-Air’s and Nomads, 37 Chevy’s and a lot more. He only buys them if he can make something out of them. He sold his Daughters Graduation 55 Chevy to a guy in a bar for $12,000 on the spot. They drove to the bank and it was gone. My father has a 41Ford and I also have a 65 Cobra replica on order. So if you want to talk car business lets talk. If you want to argue go talk to someone else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts