Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are clips of my 1965 Mustang. It has a 1968 200ci I6, Holley 2bbl carburetor, dual outlet header from Ford Six Performance, and dual exhaust with Borla ProXS mufflers. Here is a clip:

Current Exhaust

I have been thinking about installing Cherry Bomb glasspacks and side exit exhaust to see how it sounds on a modified I6. I started to remove the exhaust today (it is set up so the exhaust can be easily removed without cutting) and recorded the open header:

Open Split Manifold Header

A friend let me borrow some worn out Cherry Bomb glasspacks:

Cherry Bombs!

The open header sounds cool (of course). I love the sound of the Borla mufflers. I think they really give the I6 a mean sound. I've had guys mistake it for a V8. My intention is not to fool anyone, but it is a nice compliment.

The glasspacks sound ok, but I don't like them over the Borlas. However, these were pretty beat up. The packing was burned out a long time ago. I'm still considering trying a pair of new 8" glasspacks.

Pretty good for a six cylinder...let me know what you think!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Ya, the worn out Cherry Bombs will not sound like others and then if you mount them as I do, that changes things too. Remember too, the sound will be a lot different out of the garage. You are running in a bit of an echo chamber. Going to side exits and a different size tip will also make a difference. Isn't it fun, all these little things change the sound so much.....

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Borlas.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Borla :thumbsup: . Sounds great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
all of them sound cool, better than my 6cyl. wish i lived in the US it`s hard to get parts for 6cyl mustangs in the UK and when you order them from the US it costs a fortune, more than the part. doh!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great sound!! Btw, doesn't it always amaze everyone how similar the sound is to a V8? Back in the day, when I was in high school in the 1950's, a couple of my buddies had '50 Chevys with split manifols and although I loved the sound, they sounded NOTHING like the Chevy V8's. I will nerver understand that!!!

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Usually a 6 needs to be as quiet as possable since enhancing the sound makes it sound like, well, a fart can. But those Borlas are really impressive. I guess I have to change my way of thinking! I wonder how it will sound outside of the garage though?

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 68 with the flowmasters and clifford header sounds great in and out of the garage. Some guy asked the other day if I wanted help getting my 289 running right. The engine was cold and I have never hooked up the choke on the weber. Apparently the guy heard my me when I got there lol. Anyway I told him I would love for my 289 to fun better. Asked him if he was gonna buy me the 2 cyl and the extra 89 cubes lol.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Just great- I was going to be completely content with one or two minor modifications to my I6... then I watch your video and will live an unfulfilled life until I install dual Borlas.

Thanks a bunch (seriously, this will definitely be a project for the near future)... great sound- great job.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow. I don't know the last time I actually had the Mustang running. It will probably be a long time before it runs. I was tempted to push it out of the garage and get it started, but there's no point. It needs a lot of work to make it roadworthy and I won't get to it for a long time.

Those Borlas did sound great, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts