Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
For the sake of comparison just look at the difference in the size between those intake runners! I’m surprised I was even able to get the old manifold to run a well as it did.

That is a Holly 4160 600 CFM sitting on top. Probably not getting the most out of it (or this manifold) until I make the original 289 into a hot HiPo style motor in a couple of years.
ARE you sure you are describing 'that old lowly Edelbrock SP2P-4V' Intake you removed ?? (Or am I missing something ?) For 1 a Holley 600 1850 type wouldn't bolt up to that sp2p, so you had to have had some perhaps horribly miss-matched adaptor. Plus do you realise the science behind those "Small Runners" ?? Etc And the Era (Late 70's) & Era of Engines...
I've inspected & read before & after road tests on the Sp2p's/Holley Z's & in the parimiters they are intended & designed for, they aren't as bad as you are painting - like the quadrajet carb days of old: "...yuck rip off that thing I don't understand", only NOW for many to be seeking out correct #'s Quadrajet carbs like there's no tomorrow !.
I have a Popular HotRodding 2 part road test of them taking a project Smog 350 Chev Blazer & with a 4bbl SP2P inlet swap , with its TORQUE/THROTTLE RESPONSE/VACUUM INDUCING SMALL RUNNERS , headers etc, they eventually gain over 2 seconds on 1/4 mile & add 120hp + 2mpg on a 7.7:1 Comp smogger 350c.i. - for what it was DESIGNED FOR: its NOT a race Manifold, but I think Vic Edelbrock Jnr, when alive, would've been pretty disappointed to read your not very glowing account - that's how products with a lot of R & R $ etc invested get Flamed with the advent of the Internet !.

HOW do we know you didn't have some Massive vacuum leak under that 1850 600cfm - " leading to 15" Vacuum Truck Engine like Running & Idle..."

Always Poetic license in peoples Utube, whoops, www Accounts & Stories.

I think Your junk Ed. Manifold removed would show similar improvements % wise when fitted to a 2bbl 260ci or Power everything 2V auto 302ci with STD CAM OR Edelbrock wouldn't have Cast & sold so many !. ( Think about it )
But seeing you reckon it only pulled 15" of Vacuum etc , I'll relieve you of the lump of scrap alloy off your hands for $10 doorstop value + parcel post cost to OR 97203
:p(y)

Glad your new buy went so well - the operative telling qstn ?: what are you running currently for a Camshaft ? Duration, LCA ? Etc ( never heard of anything going UP in Vacuum from an Sp2p/Weiand 180° Swap out, unless something ELSE was already out to lunch )
Best wishes. & happy hyway cruising.
HRTrev

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
@jsbenami You ever get out to the Cars and Coffee in Alexandria? Nice work BTW! Glad the car is running well.
Thanks! Not yet, I’m a cheap bastard when it comes to coffee so I usually brew the good stuff at home 😁

I live in Alexandria but car winters at my dads for the garage space in Maryland about 30 mi away. I do the heavy engine and transmission work on Army base. I’m planning to rent a covered garage space nearby for May - NOV so I’ll have to hit it up when real cruising weather is here. Unless this COVID-19 virus totally upends even that. Can’t catch sick from a Mustang or mountain drives though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
ARE you sure you are describing 'that old lowly Edelbrock SP2P-4V' Intake you removed ?? (Or am I missing something ?) For 1 a Holley 600 1850 type wouldn't bolt up to that sp2p, so you had to have had some perhaps horribly miss-matched adaptor. Plus do you realise the science behind those "Small Runners" ?? Etc And the Era (Late 70's) & Era of Engines...
I've inspected & read before & after road tests on the Sp2p's/Holley Z's & in the parimiters they are intended & designed for, they aren't as bad as you are painting - like the quadrajet carb days of old: "...yuck rip off that thing I don't understand", only NOW for many to be seeking out correct #'s Quadrajet carbs like there's no tomorrow !.
I have a Popular HotRodding 2 part road test of them taking a project Smog 350 Chev Blazer & with a 4bbl SP2P inlet swap , with its TORQUE/THROTTLE RESPONSE/VACUUM INDUCING SMALL RUNNERS , headers etc, they eventually gain over 2 seconds on 1/4 mile & add 120hp + 2mpg on a 7.7:1 Comp smogger 350c.i. - for what it was DESIGNED FOR: its NOT a race Manifold, but I think Vic Edelbrock Jnr, when alive, would've been pretty disappointed to read your not very glowing account - that's how products with a lot of R & R $ etc invested get Flamed with the advent of the Internet !.

HOW do we know you didn't have some Massive vacuum leak under that 1850 600cfm - " leading to 15" Vacuum Truck Engine like Running & Idle..."

Always Poetic license in peoples Utube, whoops, www Accounts & Stories.

I think Your junk Ed. Manifold removed would show similar improvements % wise when fitted to a 2bbl 260ci or Power everything 2V auto 302ci with STD CAM OR Edelbrock wouldn't have Cast & sold so many !. ( Think about it )
But seeing you reckon it only pulled 15" of Vacuum etc , I'll relieve you of the lump of scrap alloy off your hands for $10 doorstop value + parcel post cost to OR 97203
:p(y)

Glad your new buy went so well - the operative telling qstn ?: what are you running currently for a Camshaft ? Duration, LCA ? Etc ( never heard of anything going UP in Vacuum from an Sp2p/Weiand 180° Swap out, unless something ELSE was already out to lunch )
Best wishes. & happy hyway cruising.
HRTrev
Hey man, yes I am well aware of the small runner plenum high velocity induction of the late 70s design. You’ve got me wrong on the carb tho. It’s a Holley 4160 (a new one) single feed and the SP2P-289 is a 4V....they mated up perfectly fine. That manifold produced reasonable low end torque ummpf and good economy for the time. Was getting 15-18 highway. But it was an econo minder manifold post oil embargo crisis. It’s widely panned as a dog from every post I’ve seen about it. Not performance oriented at all, and the guy that rebuilt the 74’ 302 engine did Actually made it for his truck! Engine + tranny were not in the car when I bought the whole package I assembled on my own. It’s a decent enough 302 motor but nothing special. My original 68’ 289 is a superior motor for compression ratio & will go back in one day as a HiPo style build. No idea what cam he used on the 302. He didn’t leave me any specs so I’d assume it’s quite average.
The Edelbrock SP I took out had a very good seal, no vacuum leaks. It could do 18hg to 20hg but to get it to idle and go well and so on I’d knock it down to 14-15 with a rich mixture. That isn’t necessary with the Blue Thunder F4 clone. You can lean it up much more is much more forgiving with its tune. Throttle snaps back and opens nice with the same springs. Took me 10 minutes to set....fiddled with the Eddie for hours. It would stumble in the first 10-15 min it operation no matter the mixture.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I never used one but being a single plane one has to wonder about the Torker name. Single plane intakes aren't know for making torque
Neither are little 289s none for their torque. No 331-347s back then. All I can tell you was on the same engine it ran noticeably better than the original Cobra intake. I would have put it back on if I hadn't been building a fake GT-350. It worked better with the combination of the Lemans cam. It was a high winding engine. I don't know why they called it the "Torker".
In 1977 you did have a lot of choices. All the manufacturers manifolds looked about the same except for when the "Torker" came along.

Stock 4V

Tri-Power which was really rare on a 289. I have a complete Ford Factory 1964 date stamped setup stashed away.

The dual plane.

The single plane Torker was kind of a new concept with its twisted ports.

The duel quad intakes, I don't remember ever seeing them on Mustangs. If somebody put dual quads on they were cutting a whole in the hood and sticking on a tunnelram so they could show them off. They could have been more common in the 1960s because I saw them at swap meets in the late 1970s but not on Mustangs

The Tunnel Rams were the holy grail of street cruisers. Nothing beat a pair of carburetors sticking above the hood in those days. That was the choice of the Mustang drag racers back then. No more than a dozen cars of all bramds on the street with dual quads in a town of 100,000. That was a car culture, cruising town, loaded full of muscle cars. I like vintage parts better than new ones. I could have bought a new tunnelram but I wanted from the era. I thought it would be easy to find a 289 tunnelram but it took about a year to find one at swap meet so I didn't have to pay shipping. It strange almost all of the old 289s that show up for sale are Weiands. I have one like this one out in the garage for a '64 Falcon project. I can't decide if I install the tri-power with a teardrop scoop or cut the hood and stick the tunnel ram on. I'm probably going to paint two hoods so I can switch back and forth.

I look now at all the different height intakes and the air gaps intakes, there are so many choices. Millions of dollars of research, matching heads, intakes and camshaft. Computer designed manifolds, thousands of hours of flow bench studies. My era was more like letting a bunch of gopher dig tunnels and then seeing which Gopher's intake ran the best. I still like me era better than yours.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Neither are little 289s none for their torque. No 331-347s back then. All I can tell you was on the same engine it ran noticeably better than the original Cobra intake. I would have put it back on if I hadn't been building a fake GT-350. It worked better with the combination of the Lemans cam. It was a high winding engine. I don't know why they called it the "Torker".
In 1977 you did have a lot of choices. All the manufacturers manifolds looked about the same except for when the "Torker" came along.

Stock 4V
View attachment 747204

Tri-Power which was really rare on a 289. I have a complete Ford Factory 1964 date stamped setup stashed away.

View attachment 747205

The dual plane.
View attachment 747203

The single plane Torker was kind of a new concept with its twisted ports.
View attachment 747206

The duel quad intakes, I don't remember ever seeing them on Mustangs. If somebody put dual quads on they were cutting a whole in the hood and sticking on a tunnelram so they could show them off. They could have been more common in the 1960s because I saw them at swap meets in the late 1970s but not on Mustangs

. View attachment 747208

The Tunnel Rams were the holy grail of street cruisers. Nothing beat a pair of carburetors sticking above the hood in those days. That was the choice of the Mustang drag racers back then. No more than a dozen cars of all bramds on the street with dual quads in a town of 100,000. That was a car culture, cruising town, loaded full of muscle cars. I like vintage parts better than new ones. I could have bought a new tunnelram but I wanted from the era. I thought it would be easy to find a 289 tunnelram but it took about a year to find one at swap meet so I didn't have to pay shipping. It strange almost all of the old 289s that show up for sale are Weiands. I have one like this one out in the garage for a '64 Falcon project. I can't decide if I install the tri-power with a teardrop scoop or cut the hood and stick the tunnel ram on. I'm probably going to paint two hoods so I can switch back and forth.
View attachment 747207

I look now at all the different height intakes and the air gaps intakes, there are so many choices. Millions of dollars of research, matching heads, intakes and camshaft. Computer designed manifolds, thousands of hours of flow bench studies. My era was more like letting a bunch of gopher dig tunnels and then seeing which Gopher's intake ran the best. I still like me era better than yours.
The 289/302 Weiand was around a fair bit as it was well priced, obtainable, the runners were well sized & with correct pair of carbs ...well, just seemed to work )if you kept things sensible & knew how to tune: I would still run one, with a pair of holley 390's/450 Mech or small AFB's, or 2 x 2bbls )

Like your Yorker, another one I found effective was the Edelbrock Street master Single Plane too, with it's small volume Pleni & longer smaller cross section runners.

Interesting account.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks! Not yet, I’m a cheap bastard when it comes to coffee so I usually brew the good stuff at home 😁

I live in Alexandria but car winters at my dads for the garage space in Maryland about 30 mi away. I do the heavy engine and transmission work on Army base. I’m planning to rent a covered garage space nearby for May - NOV so I’ll have to hit it up when real cruising weather is here. Unless this COVID-19 virus totally upends even that. Can’t catch sick from a Mustang or mountain drives though.
Well I don’t drink coffee at all, so... The Alexandria C&C is 7-11 stuff, so pretty cheap. I also like to hit up the Rockville C&C with my dad. That’s the old skool one with the old timers. My dad knows a few of those guys. Fun to hang out and hear their stories. At least when they’re not talking about their last doctor visit or current ailment. Obviously the Great Falls C&C is the local grand daddy of them all. I occasionally hit them up with friends. Let me know if you want to join some time. At least when we’re allowed human contact again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Well I don’t drink coffee at all, so... The Alexandria C&C is 7-11 stuff, so pretty cheap. I also like to hit up the Rockville C&C with my dad. That’s the old skool one with the old timers. My dad knows a few of those guys. Fun to hang out and hear their stories. At least when they’re not talking about their last doctor visit or current ailment. Obviously the Great Falls C&C is the local grand daddy of them all. I occasionally hit them up with friends. Let me know if you want to join some time. At least when we’re allowed human contact again.
On yeah man! Let’s PM if you're local. Don’t see how cars involve a lot of human contact. We can stay in them or stand 8 feet apart outside, drink Coffee. Yeah...I went to the Rockville classic car show in October and they was some OLD timers. But really cool guys. I mean like dudes who bought the cars new. I’m a baby next to them 🤣

·
Registered
507 Posts
On yeah man! Let’s PM if you're local. Don’t see how cars involve a lot of human contact. We can stay in them or stand 8 feet apart outside, drink Coffee. Yeah...I went to the Rockville classic car show in October and they was some OLD timers. But really cool guys. I mean like dudes who bought the cars new. I’m a baby next to them 🤣
I’m just up in DC. Hopefully by the time I get my car back we’ll be through much of this craziness and we can hit up some cars and coffees. I’ll shoot you a PM.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts