Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

My name is Kurt and recently I bought a 66 Notchback. I did no research. I did no inspection, other than a cursory look over. I did not think it over. I just bought it. My wife actually told me to buy it. Seriously.

Enough of the intro, here's what I've got.

The car is a 66 Notchback. Originally built in San Jose, and ordered out of Los Angeles, the car has lived it entire life in California. It is a 289 2V car that might have been an automatic (the door code stamp for axle and trans don't line up very well but it does have the automatic number) but it is now a 4 speed. It should have a 2.88 rear but I can't tell you if it has a close ratio box or not. I've been told the car has a Comp cam and roller rockers. It has Tri-Y's, an Edlebrock intake and 4 barrel carb. Drum brakes all around. I was assured it doesn't have any rust. It doesn't seem to, other than surface rust here and there.

My plan is to make it a daily driver A Sedan replica. Period correct for the most part. It will likely see track duty 5-8 time a year.

The GT-350 stuff stripes/lettering will be coming off the car. Clones are fine, obvious fakes are not.
I don't have much mechanical aptitude and I've never done any kind of serious automotive repair. This should be fun.

Here's the car.

edit: I suck at posting pictures.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Welcome aboard Kurt,
Sometime give us the vin number off the door tag. We can help you determine what gears you have in back when you're ready to look into this.

We need pics!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hi Kurt.

I'm no computer whiz, but I managed to copy your first pic to my hard drive then I uploaded it to www.mustangmods.com, a free pic-hosting site. Here's the URL: http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1635/2567/214160.jpg and here's the image:

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1635/2567/214160.jpg

That looks like a great car to play with. Folks on this forum will have a 100 & 1 ways to spend your money on upgrades, but I like the theme you're starting from. Shelby American made a small run of '66 coupes for Trans Am racing. Here's one:

http://www.comfortcarconnection.com/car_photos/spraggins_66/fullsize/66-TA009_full.jpg

Edit: Craig Mayna and I were posting at the same time, but evidently he had not seen the pix of your car. As you can see, his coupe and yours are pretty similar. I hope you don't share his taste in swimwear (inside joke).

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Welcome to the VMF!

If that car is going to be a daily driver the first thing I'd upgrade are the brakes (front discs at least). Looks like you have a nice car. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
You don't to worry about the fake vs clone thing, GT 350s were only available in the fastback body style.

Nice looking ride BTW!

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Looks like a great find, Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Welcome aboard, you will find tons of valuable info here!

BTW, I can't imagine why anyone would want to track these cars ;) ;)

If you need help spending money on parts that work great at the track, we're here for ya!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

Yeah, front disc brakes are very high on my list. I just have the brakes and steering inspected by Affordable Classics is Torrance, Ca, and the list of of stuff they gave me to do is top priority. Motor mounts are cracked, upper ball joints are shot, and the steering needs to be rebuilt. I'd like to go with a manual setup (ditch the p/s) using Shelby pitman and idler arms.

All that stuff is going to cost me money that I barely have. So the brakes will be next on the list. I used all my money to buy a decent car :(

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It looks like a decent car to me but then that is always relative to how much you paid. Considering it has already been modified quite a bit I don't think you can depend on your vin stuff matching the car stuff. The rear end gears have most likely been replaced.

Before you tear it all apart I would just keep it and drive it around some and enjoy it. I wish I could drive mine. I started a freshen up that has now evolved into a close to ground level complete reconstruction at this point. I may never live long enough to finish it.

I agree on the disc brakes. I think right now you have more go than stop. I went the economical route on mine and found a complete disc setup from a 71 coupe parts car somebody had. They stop really well.

By the way, there is never enough money or time.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hello and welcome! That's a nice looking car. I really like the TTD's! Looks like the rear tires are a little bigger than the fronts - correct?

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I think a little Shag green carpeting would look very proper in that car. Don't listen to these guys about my swimwear. But if you are going to attend Knotts this April, I would sit next to me :lol:

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Ah, befroe you get all Ga-Ga over the info on the Door vin plate, make sure that the vin on the Door plate matched the real vin stamped into the front fender apron. Because plenty of doors have been changed, yet the amatures seem to leave these door vins (which are NOT the legal vin) on the door they came on.
But, I can attest, ain't nothing like a rust free California car.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Kurt
Nice clean looking ride...and afa as the "notchback" term. I am starting a petition to throw out the term. The non fastback model is referred to as the COUP'E.
We Coup'e owners should band together and rise up from the oppression of the fastback world. :p

BTW your wife has good taste!
Still trying to fiqure out this statement "worst thing I've ever done "

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow. Lots of comments!

The color? Re-spray red. I dunno, I didn't paint it. It is a pretty rich red though.

The rear tires are bigger 215/65 as opposed to the 205/60 in the front. Not what I would have done, but hey, the tires have plenty of tread on them. I'm planning on putting on Vintage Race spec tires; Blue Streak's etc.

The door tag DOES match the fender stamp. The reason for my not being 100% about the original trans is that on the door tag, the space over the "AXLE" portion of the tag is blank, while the space over the "TRANS" portion says 6 6. All of the other portions are stamped correctly. What I do know is that the car currently has a 4 speed. ;) I mis-typed in my first post. I should have said it has a 2.8 rear end. Maybe.

I'll try to remember to call it a coupe. I did, right after I first bought the car only to hear "I thought all Mustangs are coupes?" comment too many times. Hardtop doen't seem to do much good either. Oh well.

As far as the best/worst thing I've ever done comment, I don't have much experience working on cars at all. I now have to sell my perfectly good daily driver to put some money back in my bank account all so I can drive a car that I don't know the history of and that I might not be able to work on, at least the light duty stuff like electrics and interior stuff.

I'd like to go to BCMC meet sometime but I don't get off work in time to make it to one of their meets.

I will try to make it to Cars and Coffee though with Ken aka 67T/ACOUPE, soon.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I think the 6 and 6 are two seperate numbers for the axle and tranny.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
kurt- said:
As far as the best/worst thing I've ever done comment, I don't have much experience working on cars at all. I now have to sell my perfectly good daily driver to put some money back in my bank account all so I can drive a car that I don't know the history of and that I might not be able to work on, at least the light duty stuff like electrics and interior stuff.
Unless you have accessible mass transit to fall back on for work and shopping it is not a good idea to depend on a 41 year old car with problems as your only source of transportation. Even a good running classic with all the basic systems rebuilt will crap out on you from time to time. Let alone the times you can't finish that weekend project in time for Monday morning. I've been daily driving these old heaps for about ten years now and my experience is they'll have good spells, lasting years sometimes, and bad spells where every 500 miles there's some totally or semi-disabling problem that needs a fix.

Also, a thin wallet and turning your car over to "pros" for repairs and upgrades is not a good mix. You need to get used to the idea that you can do this work yourself, and with the advice you'll get on this forum it's true, you can.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts