Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My life long love of Mustangs, hope you enjoy reading. I graduated HS in 1963 right in the middle of the muscle car era, 409s, 426s, 392 hemi, 327, 421s and on and on. When I saw my first Mustang in late 1964 it was love at first sight. Being in college and not having much money there wasn’t an opportunity to purchase one new or used. After college I joined the USMC and went to Vietnam in ‘68-69, while there many of my friends bought Mustangs at great prices to be delivered upon their return home. Being married I could not afford to do that so I waited, knowing that there would be a time for a Mustang. Upon returning home we needed another vehicle and a friend of mine, Richie Ahl, had a car lot in my home town , Huntington, Long Island, NY. My first Mustang was a ‘65 FB 6 cyl. Auto, dark green, with about 40K on it. I did a bunch of mechanical work on Richie’s vehicles so I got it for a good price. It was a nice car but slow. I was always into speed and kept looking for a HP Mustang. Richie knowing what I wanted kept looking at the auctions for me and one day he scored! A 1968 FB Cobra Jet 428 4 speed with custom interior, dark highland green/ black interior and all the bells and whistles with 20K miles, he got it off a fellow car lot owner who took it on trade, it had a blown rear. I paid 1200 for it in Feb. 1970. First thing I did was rebuild the rear with about 4.10 gears , then put G78-14 on the front and G70s on the rear, I was in hog heaven, I could pass almost everything except a gas station. I kept the car for 3 years and ran it hard and put it up wet many a day. With all that was going on trying to afford a family at that time, and with all the street racing I was doing, it was time for the Mustang to move on, I sold it for $875.00, The ‘65 FB got totaled by being hit in the rear in front of my apartment and was replaced in 1971 with a 1966 red 6 cyl auto convert. I paid 300 for it with the car needing a valve job. Fast forward to 1999, house almost paid for, kid almost out of HS with college money set aside, it was time to start looking again. Located a ‘67 FB 4 speed GT with factory air, in Hickory NC, an original owner 37,200 mile S code. Bought it for a fair price and hauled it home. There were some issues, it sat outside for 20 yrs and needed a restoration, and it was lime green with a green interior, but it had its pluses. Back in the 50s and 60s engines usually needed valve jobs at 40K and rings and bearings at 80K+. The owner decided to pull the engine and have it rebuilt by a machine shop he dealt with as a fit in for a fair price deal. With the engine out and no Mustang to drive he went and bought a new crate 289 and put it in. The night he got it running he had a heart attack and died. I bought the complete car with the 289 with 0 miles and the original engine wrapped up in grease from the machine shop. I had a future use for the 289 so I put the 390 back together and put it back home in the ‘67. In 2000 I started looking for a ‘65-66 FB for my 289 and found a project car with a donor vehicle up in Broadway VA. I retired in 2008 and built my dream garage , 40’ X 60’ with vaulted ceiling for half of it. I have two Bend Pack 4 post lifts a 9K and a 12K, lathes, welders, air compressors, spray guns, everything to do most anything. I started to do ground up restorations on both cars and except for paint they are both complete. I plan on painting them this spring/summer, the ‘67 will be Dark Highland Green , it now has a black interior. This is a personal vehicle and I am not concerned with collector value, it is as close as I will ever get to my ‘68 CJ and I do not expect to ever sell it. The ‘65 is going to be painted its original color of vintage burgundy, next to highland green, my other favorite color. My son and Grandbaby already have dibs on the ’65 & ’67. This spring I plan on ordering my first new Mustang a 2012 GT 6 speed manual, premium interior, 3.55 rear in Lava Red, which is suppose to be like a dark maroon/ black cherry color. There have been many Mustangs over the years in my garage, but the early ones are my favorites, although I believe the 2012 5.0 will blow the doors off my 390, which we’ll find out as soon as my son and I line up when I get some miles on the 2012.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/holdover/Jan30th2011009.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/holdover/Jan30th2011008.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/holdover/March2009snowstorm007.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/holdover/garageMarch22009006.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts