Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right. Im sitting home and thinking to the future, and my mind stumbles onto this "plan" if you will. In a few months I'll be turning seventeen and in my family thats around the time you get a car (As long as you have $1,000 of backup money that is). im about $200 away from that so get the $1,000, get the loan and get a first car. I would love it to be a stang but it WONT happen. Parents ruled hard on that one. So instead with some more thinking to the future, I (with the help of the VMF) have the thought to get a Truck or something "heavy duty" to serve as a daily driver.
Then I work my ass off at school, at continue to work at my part time job at the grocery store. This would go on for the remainder of my schooling (2 years) After that I go and get a job at the local newspaper in the mailroom. (putting inserts in the paper ect.) this is where my brother works and makes damn good money. So the saving continues untill its time to move away from the Family unit. Perhaps get a small house with a two 1/2 car garage. (Or something else that is not an apartment, so I can have some space.) Then I get the mustang, work on it during the days off and weekends. and bring it up to a good Driver status. This will take I dont know how long but will be worth it. Of course that is very loose and not planning for emergincies. Sorry about the ramble, I just need to put this down, and opinions are welcome.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
college is nothing Ive ever felt I needed to do, so no

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
With 3 years of college, dumbest thing I ever did was to not finish. That was almost 50 years ago. I am reasonably bright and did OK without the degree, but it was always an uphill battle.

Think again about getting a degree. Look at the numbers as to what you earn over time with and without. Think how many Mustangs that will buy you later on. Best investment you will ever make. IMHO.( One who didn't and regreted it) Good Luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, just my $.02, but you ought to rethink the no college thing. Even if it's only night school at the local community college, a class or two at a time.

Your plan sounds workable, and that's good (when I was your age, I didn't even have a plan, much less a workable one). But without college, you will find the ceiling to be low and you will hit it far too soon. No offense to your brother, but stuffing inserts into newspapers doesn't sound like a lifetime career position.

And while the money may sound good now, it won't be enough to buy that house and garage anytime soon. You'll need more than $1,000 starter money for that.

·
Registered
923 Posts
You need to go to college.
Its a little investment in your future. I know 4 years may seem like a long time but it will go by quicker then you think. You don't have to change the would or be a Rhodes Scholar. Having a degree will open doors that a high school diploma can't open.
I wasn't a very happy college student, I wanted to be out there doing something. It was a stepping stone for me, so why I picked a difficult degree like Meteorology, I'll never know. that degree got me my commission in the Air Force and the ability to fly, which is what I always wanted to do.
Consider a technical degree from a 2 year college. Those degrees are usually more focused on the actual application of a field, not the theoretical ideas. After the 2 years you may have found your niche in a particular field and go on to a 4 year degree. If not you would at least have a degree and that will open some doors for you.
Having the degree will alow you to purchase more Mustangs and Mustang parts. These cars require money and the better your job the more you will have.
Good luck in your decision. Don't let your frustration prevent you from doing whats right in the long run. Sometimes you have to make a small sacrifice so that in the long run things work out better.
Dave

·
Registered
967 Posts
I applaud you for having a plan. I'm 29 and when I was your age I felt the same way. Then I got a summer job tarring roofs. Image august 90% humidity no wind on 105 degree days. It was at that point I decided there had to be a better way to make a living. I went to a junior college just to get my feet wet. I ended up with a BS degree in marketing. In marketing especially the BS doesn't stand for Bachelor of Science./forums/images/icons/smile.gif I am now a software developer and a database admin. I would have never thought I would make what I make for the amount of work I do. Was the degree worth it for me? I do not use my degree on a daily or even monthly basis. However the doors that the degree have opened are endless. Not to mention I meet the wonderful beautiful love of my life SWMBO at college. It is your decision to make but my advice is do not rule anything out at this point because you are still too young. Good luck

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I didn't do college either and my salary is pretty good by almost anyone's standards. But, I got lucky and happened to latch onto the computer industry in 1980 when everyone involved was still something of a pioneer. Being bright made the rest of the difference, but there is a level above which I can't go without the degree and I'm pretty much at that level now. So I'm likely to spend the rest of my career (another 10-15 years) watching others go by me, unless I go back to school. And trust me, going back is a lot harder than going in the first place. At the moment, I'm OK with that because the career rat race is not something I feel a need to run. I like the work I do and have risen far enough to have some control over my work. But I wouldn't want to be coming into the field now without a degree. I'd have very few opportunities for advancement.

However, the job market is in the process of splintering into two classes of workers for the most part. There are the professional positions that require a degree and the service industry positions that don't but which also don't pay much above minimum wage. If you want to have a home and family plus enough disposable income to support a Mustang other than as your daily driver, you better get yourself qualified to hold one of those professional positions.

There is a very narrow middle ground in which the only other ways to make a decent living will usually involve physical labor that's not too bad at 18 but can be a killer at 45. Some of these are mechanic, truck driver, body repair, union laborer, construction, etc.

So, if you have the option, get your college plan together and let it make the life plan a bit easier to achieve.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'll give you a thumbs up for thinking about the future and trying to put a plan together. I'd also suggest you think carefully regarding college. Why? 1999 US census shows that you got a pretty good chance of making almost twice as much with a 4 year college degree as a High School diploma. IMHO, you'll also find its easier to switch jobs (most people do several times in their life) and its easier to hang on to a job.

My Dad is the greatest guy in the world. If it runs he can tear it down and rebuild it. He started out as an auto mechanic, then moved on to diesel engines, and then became a supervisor with the shipping company he worked for. His greatest frustration was that he was smarter than most of the guys he worked for but couldn't advance beyond a certain point because he didn't have a college degree.

So while we were working on the mustang one night, I casually mentioned that I didn't see a need to go to college since he didn't go. He explained that I was going to college because he had lived it the other way and wanted better for his kids. (Ok, so he didn't say it just like that, but the torque wrench he was waving at me when he said "You're going!" implied it./forums/images/icons/wink.gif). That was almost 20 years ago and he wasn't wrong.

Think about it. PM me if you want to discuss.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I made a mid life change when I was pretty much forced (by Ford Tractor Operations) to close my dealership or invest in a new facility located on the new bypass highway. Even having owned and managed my own business for many years I faced a bleak prospect for employment in anything other than a reduced salary field without the college degree. At that time I started college, and it was a major change being a student again where I was older than many of the instructors.

My advice is to GET THE DEGREE! It will make a major difference in the jobs you will be prospect for. While at Chicago I managed a contract for the EPA. One thing I did there was to look over volumes of resumes daily. Those without a college degree were 13 filed. Fair? I don't always think so, but that was upper managements decision. If we were paying premium, we looked for someone who had the commitment to education to finish a college degree of some sort.

If you want the bigger salary invest in your education. It will pay for the time you put in it.

Just My Opinion Only!

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
I know every one has been harping on the college thing. College is not for everyone, but it is a lot easier to get a better paying job faster.

I am not trying to brag, but here is a real life situation. I graduated last year from high school with one year of college (I took all of my senior year classes at the local community college) and am now at a major university working on my Business degree - then on to Law School. I work as an accounting assistant and make good money for an 18 yr old kid - $14/hour with paid time off etc etc. One of my best friends said he never wanted to go to college, he barely received his HS. diploma. He is now working 60 hrs a week, @ $6.71/hour and trying to make ends meet - paying for rent, insurance, food, etc. He has an old bronco that he can barely keep running, while I have 3 mustangs that I can tinker with when work and school allow. I have had no help from my parents when it comes to buying my cars or parts for them. $1,000 doesn't go far when it comes to buying a mustang or doing any substantial work on one, let alone buying a house. My advice for you would be to take at least one class at the local community college, if you like it continue on...if not then look for some other type of training or craft. In today's world it is extremly hard to get by with just a high school diploma.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I spent way too much time working for bozo's with less smarts than I had because I didn't have the degree. At 50, I bought a failing company and saved it from Chapter 7. Then I was the boss and SWMBO controlled the $$$$. Most people thought I was a college grad with a degree, but I wasn't. Don't blow it. Go to school and let the chicks and cars wait. Just my HO. A 67.45 year old grandfather.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I say go to college. It's fun and you can met many new people; especially more mustang enthusiasts. I'm in college now, going on my third year. I work in the summer time and save money for my 69 mustang parts. I say go get a degree in something or at least get certified in something.
--- Here's a great idea, go to school to be a certified mechanic. That way you can learn more about cars and, hopefully, you'll get more time to work on your mustang. If not more time on yours, maybe you can work on other people's mustangs instead and still learn more about yours so you don't have to get fustrated working on your car. You can get paid and get fustarted, while learning about other mustangs. Then.. you can work on your mustang with no problem, right? But, that's just my opinion since you don't want to go to college.
PS: you can easily maketriple the money being a certified mechanic than working at that newspaper place. Plus, if you become a mechanic, then you have more chances to start your own business, letting you set your own hours, thus giving you the time frame you want so you can work on your mustang. Hope, this info helps!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not to detract from what the others have said (and I whole heartedly agree with getting a degree.. I'm still slowly finishing up mine as I work), but have you ever thought about the military? A short 2 to 4 year commitment (goes by faster than you think), money for college, good signing bonuses, travel and if you get sent overseas... it's all tax free money in the bank. On top of that, you get to serve your country, do and see things your friends can only see in movies or TV, and learn some new and interesting things or even a trade.

Okay, enough recruiting poster stuff. It's just another option. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It's good that you have a plan, but I don't think you'd want to spend the rest of your days stuffing papers. Think about becoming the guy that supervises the person that stuffs papers.. or even owns the company that employs the guy that supervises the person that stuffs the papers... it's a big big world out there.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Has anyone mentioned college yet? No kidding! Do it!

When a lot of resumes get trashed because because there is no degree on them you will be glad you did! It opens doors!

It will open your eyes to things you never thought possible! New ideas! New friends! Maybe a wife! (That's where I found mine!) Things you can do! All my life I have been working behind people who opened my eyes to new possibilites! "That guy is an idiot! I can do that!" I let the folks in front of me show me the possibilities! The things I would be able to do! But you can't without a degree! That will not happen in the mailroom.

No kidding. When you see what "good money" really is you should be motivated!

Beebz! You are a bright kid! So listen up and write this down. Here are the secrets to a good and happy life.

1) ALWAYS do the right thing. You may get it stuck to you on occasion and you wont bat 1000 but .900 isn't bad! This means do right by everyone and treat them as you would want to be treated. You will be trusted and treated well.

2) Life is a LONG TERM endevor. Live it as if you will live a long time. Skip the short term instant gratification and go for the longterm even if it hurts. There is always a payback. It may make short term sense to get a job right out of High School and skip college. Long term remember???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreaciate all the replies, and to tell you the truth they have weighd heavily on my thought process. Perhaps a two year tech school, perhaps not. I will keep you posted on what happens. but right now I do want to get through H.S. and after that is up (not so far anymore)in the air. Again thanks for your input

·
Registered
392 Posts
College sucks in my opinion. To me it is just a business where you pay them lots of money to get a piece of paper but no guarantee that you will get work.

If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, teacher, etc it's great. You need to go to college to do those things. I have 16 credits left until I get my BA in history. I do not plan to use my degree (I was going to go to law school.) Meanwhile I owe several thousand dollars to the government because of student loans, and some money to Capital One for my schoolbooks.

I dropped out of college (I stopped going to classes so they kicked me out - I was burnt out) a year and a half ago. In that time I've started my own business and am doing well. It's funny because a lot of people I know that have gotten their degrees are unemployed and are in big time debt. I still haven't ever written a resume.

If you think you have what it takes to make it without a degree, then you'll be fine. I only like being my own boss - I dislike working for other people. However if you enjoy working for someone else by all means go get a degree. You will need the degree to get ahead. You will also meet a lot of girls in college.

If you do go to college, be sure to major in something you really like: don't just major in something because you want to make money.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Bet you didn't expect to get this many go to college lectures, did you? hehehe well, heres another one /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I just want to mention my situation, because it is very close to your "plan"

I got my car when I was 16. A beautiful 70 sportsroof. It took way too much of my time/money then... and it continues to take too much of my time/money now. I am now 22 years old, and do not have a degree yet. I have gone to community college off and on for four years. I can tell you firsthand that watching all your friends get degrees, landing good jobs, and having those awesome college experiences, while your life is your lousy job and car... sucks. I wish I would've transferred to a major university after a year or year and a half of community college and gotten started at the big leagues, instead of screwing around.

I'm finally going to transfer this semester.. probably to UofA in Tucson. It's tough to admit, but I needed to grow up and wake up to reality. I feel I've done that now, and I can't wait to give it my all at the university (but guess what, I'll be a mechanical engineering major) Dearborn, here I come!!!

Anyway... your priorities will change, and if you're anything like me, you'll get sick of the grunt work, and want to work with professionals and make bank. Right now I live in an apartment among many people who are poor or unfortunate, or just not very bright... and thats a big part of what makes me want to strive for more.

Good luck to you... I'm sure you'll do fine, whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Here is a view into the demographics of Fond du Lac, WI. Seems like most of the stats are close to the national average. I did a quick real estate search in Fond du Lac, and found that home prices varied from $75k to $500k, making the average $250-$300k. You typically need 20% down, which means having $50-$60k IN THE BANK, unless you want to live in some run-down armpit.

Rentals seem to go from $400-$1k. This is money that you could be putting towards an education, while living at home. Assuming your parents allow you to live there rent-free. Did you catch that "keyword"?? FREE!!!

When you're on your own, most of your money will go towards housing, food, utilities, insurance, etc. This will easily top $3k/mo. So, if you want to be able to build up some savings, you'll have to be making at least $4k/mo. That's $25/hr.

Say you get a girlfriend. That's another $500/mo. Oops, got her pregnant? That's 25% of your income. So you get hitched. And to pay the bills she has to get a job. Now you have to pay daycare. At $75/day, that's $3k/mo. That's life.

Here is my suggestion:

Stay at home as long as you and your parents can stand each other, live there for FREE. Get a job that is flexible with your schedule. Grocery stores are typically not flexible. They're always calling you in, wanting to close the store, etc. And on a school night, closing is no fun with four hours of homework... Take a few classes at your local junior college, some GE courses, and some courses that interest you. Keep working your part-time job (auto parts store??), living at home, and get your AS degree. If you've then found a field that interests you, transfer to a four year college, and consider a different part-time job, more closely related to your CAREER GOALS. Once you graduate, you can find a job that you would never been able to get from stuffing junkmail into newspapers. Work for six months or a year, living at home. Save a few thousand, and get that Mustang you want. Not a beater that you have to bring back from the dead, but one that you could never afford before. When you are financially stable, you've paid off any student loans, etc, you move into an apartment / small house. With a roomate to save some money. A buddy from college maybe. Oh, he's got a cute sister? With cute friends? Now you can warm up the hot tub you just paid cash for. ...hehe... had to throw that in there...

There are success stories about people doing well without an education. Hey, Afghanistan is still on the map, and they don't have education...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts