Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready to go out earlier and warming up the Mach. After about 3-4 minutes it just died. It started right back up for about 1-2 minutes and then nothing. It cracks but no sign of firing. I drove it to work today without any sign of a problem.

I took off the coil wire from the distributor and put it near the fender while cranking and no spark. Where do I start testing?

Here's what I have: Mallory dist., Mallory coil (old one), MSD Ign. module (old one), everything else is stock, new battery, new alternator. I've got a couple manuals, but don't know if having the electric ignition changes the way you do some of the testing.

I'm mechanically inclined, not electrically.

Thanks for any guidance...

G

·
0 Posts
Maybe it's that photo sensor flashy thingy in the mallory distributor that I hear always goes out? If the mallory your running is a dual point , then undo the electric ignition stuff and try that. Check all the grounds from the 6al. Use a voltage meter on the positive wire running to the coil and make sure that it has power. Make sure distributor to - wire is very secure. Ive had problems with that. If you mean there is no spark comming from the coil, then try a new coil. Im sure you have got one laying around?? I dunno. Somebody should find your problem though. Im hoping the module didn't crap out. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
first off, on an MSD box, you don't test for spark that way. Take the coil wire off, set it a few inches from a ground. If you have the MSD hooked up with the white wire, then take the green and violet connector, and bride them together with another wire, once you un bridge them, a spark should jump from the coil wire. If you have it hooked up with the magnetic pickup (violet and green) then take the white wire and touch it to a ground. A spark should jump from the coil wire. Also, make sure the key is "ON". If you can't get spark, then the MSD box is to blame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts