Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved my report in the mail today. I found out my 68 was a special paint color! Except it says it is unknown :(
Would there be any way to find it? It was one of 293 painted in this color code. I checked the paint layers, but I believe it has been stripped once already. It had a Special order #0059. Just check the image of my report below.

And also... What is a Sport-Deck rear seat? Would this be the nonfold down version? Because this car had a fold down seat when I purchased it. Thanks:

My Marti Report

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

-Nate

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
You'll have to look in special areas for remnants of the original paint. One of the best places is under the padded dash. I'd also look in the trunk area, although that can easily be repainted.

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
The Sport Deck is the folddown seat.

·
Registered
721 Posts
In my experience you might be able to learn from Kevin Marti was the paint colour is... a few years ago I had a few questions about my report and he/they answered them free of charge.

Congratulations, those Marti reports are awesome to get!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Midlife:

I pulled up my old cruddy dashpad and found an emeraldly green paint? Was this the St. Patty's day special color?
This car was build on Feb27th... so would be painted for st. pattys?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hey Midlife:

I pulled up my old cruddy dashpad and found an emeraldly green paint? Was this the St. Patty's day special color?
If I'm not mistaken, in Mustang Monthly's features of Marti data, they said that the single most popular colour in 1968 was green. So, every day was St. Patty's apparently. ::

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah... but Like I said in the post, this is a special color car. Its one of 293 with that special color option. Check the Marti image in my first post.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
calypso_coral is correct.... 1/293 with both that paint (whatever it is) AND interior code 2A.

Marti reports are fun. I have one for my Cat, and I wish it were possible for Shari, but alas.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Was it built in the last half of production? That's my guess and if so its likely part of the "Color or the Month" or "Color of the rainbow" promotion that year.

I have the paint codes and names in my database if so.

I've had about 6 special order exterior color cars ... maybe I can help.

There was (not sure and I have not heard from them in a while) a registry for special order exterior paint cars

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Does the car have a buck tag? The paint code might be on it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nate,
Although Ford did not record the color of special paint cars in the Ford database, we have the original Special Paint Chip book. If you can remove a piece of paint about the size of your pinkie fingernail and mail it to us, we will analyze it to determine what color it was and rerun the report no charge with that information included in the report.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suppose that would be very easy to do. But like I said before... the paint was found under the dashpad on the passengers side... just above the glovebox and towards the door. It was a green color. Would this be the color... or just a random color that made it into the mix somehow? ::

I am trying my best to find the original color... In the trunk area, high up in the wheel wells and etc. Anywhere I see different paint.

If this color is indeed the real color... I would love to send a sample to you.

-Nate

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
I thought of another possible area, under the door striker plate. Most repaints probably would just tape that off.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good... I will look there also! thanks!

I did a good onceover on the whole car. The car's body itself is covered with coats of stuff. It has a brown reddish primer underneath, which would make me think the car was stripped once before. It is a metallic blue on the outside. With a darker solid blue under the door sill plates. the inside of the rear quarter vents are a dark solid blue and there is a green overspray of somesort on the dash... It looks metallic but I cant be sure. there is also red paint around some of the light assemblies and red overspray on the front valence. Most of the interior metal is primered reddish/surface rust and the floors are silver. It is a ton of colors!
I looked under the striker plates in the door jam and found bare metal underneath. No color at all.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Kevin You found one.... I'm a little jealous ;)

Kick myself for not buying one in Portland years ago.

At least someone has one we can access

On this subject. Can you tell in your database if this was an order with a single car or multiples?

Until later... hope everyone is doing well

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
One thing I've found on a couple of Special order paint car is multiple colors making the job of finding which is the right one difficult.

Sorry to muddy the water.

The red oxide (muddy red) is likely the original primer if your describing body panels not the lower floor pans

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I was under the impression that, the special paint codes used a Ford color. Meaning, any other color in the Ford paint line.
For instance, a Thunderbird color, a Galaxie color. As long as it was not available in the standard Mustang color chart. then you got the special paint code.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just wish I could find the broadcast sheet. I believe they are long gone. My buck tag (if it had one) is also long gone.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The special paint code is listed on the build sheet and the buck tag. You might want to read my website page on special paint cars. I also have the specialpaint book, but "green" will narrow it down to about 50 different shades. What plant was your car built at?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Didn't see the report, Dearborn cars are harder to find build sheets for.....Your best bet is matching the color to the book or finding another car with that color

1 - 20 of 21 Posts