Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you can see from my joint date on this forum, I've wanted a Mustang for a long time. Well I finally got one!

This car was turned into a time trials racer about 12 years ago and I'm planning to update and upgrade a few key safety items to take it wheel to wheel racing. I'm looking forward to sharing progress update and after action reports with you guys!

I did an intro write up with more detail on my site AutoXandTrack here: AutoXandTrack Mustang.

As mentioned in the article, immediate plans include a new fuel cell, adding second door bar to the passenger side, updating the belts and window net and doing some driver ergonomic changes.

Here is a quick walk around video too.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Chad what wheels and tires are on your Mustang?
What offset and did you have to use spacers?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
As you can see from my joint date on this forum, I've wanted a Mustang for a long time. Well I finally got one!

This car was turned into a time trials racer about 12 years ago and I'm planning to update and upgrade a few key safety items to take it wheel to wheel racing. I'm looking forward to sharing progress update and after action reports with you guys!

I did an intro write up with more detail on my site AutoXandTrack here: AutoXandTrack Mustang.

As mentioned in the article, immediate plans include a new fuel cell, adding second door bar to the passenger side, updating the belts and window net and doing some driver ergonomic changes.

Here is a quick walk around video too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DffP9j7rJJs
Any plans on opening up the hood scoop? I have the same hood and wondering on how to do it without it looking like a hack job.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Any plans on opening up the hood scoop? I have the same hood and wondering on how to do it without it looking like a hack job.[/QUOTE

I did mine it's easy. This is the second hood I have done myself. Just take your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Any plans on opening up the hood scoop? I have the same hood and wondering on how to do it without it looking like a hack job.[/QUOTE

I did mine it's easy. This is the second hood I have done myself. Just take your time.
Did you extend the hood surface beyond the opening? My hood has the metal bracing underneath. I would like to have it finished on the bottom as well as the top.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Did you extend the hood surface beyond the opening? My hood has the metal bracing underneath. I would like to have it finished on the bottom as well as the top.
My hood is fiberglass with no metal bracing near the opening. I just cut it so it looks clean. You will see how much to cut it back once you have the opening cut flush with the hood surface.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My hood is fiberglass with no metal bracing near the opening. I just cut it so it looks clean. You will see how much to cut it back once you have the opening cut flush with the hood surface.
Yeah, cutting the openings was not hard at all, I used a dremel for the last 1/8th or so. Just go slow and step back frequently to check. I think the holes are easier to see on a non-black car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You can post up your camaro too... that thing was sweet as well!

Congrats on the new ride!
Thanks! For those not alergic to Camaros, here is my other car. Which I just won the SCCA Solo Nationals CAM-T class with and the Super Chevy Muscle Car Challenge with :)

Full write up on it here: Pro Touring Camaro

We'll expect to see some autox videos
Hopefully, this weekend! If all goes well this weekend will be my first chance to shake down the car. If that goes well then the road course is two weeks later!

Chad what wheels and tires are on your Mustang?
What offset and did you have to use spacers?

Thanks
Currently on the car are 17x9" wheels with 5.75" backspace. I don't know what the normal size of the rear axle is on a 67 Mustang but this had a full floater and I have no idea if it's stock width. There are spacers on the car currently. The front wheels probably wouldn't clear the upper ball joint without them. I plan to add 18x9.5 wheels in a few months.

Wow, came here to say congratulations expecting to see some cancer patient had been picked up by someone who didn;t know what they were getting into.

Could not be further off!

That car is badass, all it needs is a functional hood :-D
Thanks! I might add some Trackspec hood vents to it at some point. But I won't be opening up the forward facing Shelby scoop. The air cleaner is a custom setup to get cold air from the cowl and the hood scoop does the opposite of what I'd want. Aka let air out of the hood instead of trying to force more of it in.

Nice! You should post some track dash cam footage.
Hopefully soon. If the autocross testing this weekend goes well then the first track testing will be two weeks after.

Any plans on opening up the hood scoop? I have the same hood and wondering on how to do it without it looking like a hack job.
Nope. As I mentioned above to Edbert it would be aerodynamically a mistake to open it up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks! I might add some Trackspec hood vents to it at some point. But I won't be opening up the forward facing Shelby scoop. The air cleaner is a custom setup to get cold air from the cowl and the hood scoop does the opposite of what I'd want.
I know you're right, reverse facing cowl openings at base of windshield where air pressure is highest, 1970s vs 1960s, I've an emotional response to forward-facing scoops.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts