Vintage Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
NASA or Vintage?

It is a serious looking hotrod, do you plan to race it in NASA, maybe AIX, or are you hoping to run with a Vintage group? It’ll take some work to get it back to Vintage legal, but you mentioned you planned on doing some safety work. I ran with NASA (Thunder Group) for a few years but found I much prefer Vintage and the added respect/concern for avoiding deliberate contact.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hard not to love this car!

@Chad-1stGen - I'm a track wanna-be, trying to get my car ready and safe. Have you pulled the trigger on the fuel cell yet? I'm considering this one from Shaun at SorT….

Early Mustang Complete Fuel Cell, Enduro Cell

Since I plan to track the car a few times a year I'm thinking I should go with a surge tank to keep from starving the engine of fuel in the corners. Other choices I'm thinking of are: Direct fill inside of trunk, "-8" supply and return lines, 16 gallon, and black powdercoat to keep it looking nice.

Curious as to what you plan to run for a fuel cell. Your car is very close to what I want mine to be. My motor, tranny, rear, suspension & brakes are done. Fuel cell and a cage to make it safe for the track, and updated gauges ( factory stuff is just awful at night ) and I think I'll be ready to do some HPDE days.

Thanks for any input your or others can provide!

Maybe I should start a new thread so I don't hijack this one...
That’s the right fuel cell, and if you run the Enduro’s a 16 gallon will probably not get you to the finish. I was good for about 40 minutes on the 16 gallon (I was thinking it was 15) the larger Enduro cell (22 gallon I think it is) will at least give you the option to run longer races and does not add any appreciable weight.

You can have the fuel pump installed in the tank (call fuel safe direct), makes installation easy and safe; the -8 is correct for feed and return.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Hard not to love this car!

@Chad-1stGen - I'm a track wanna-be, trying to get my car ready and safe. Have you pulled the trigger on the fuel cell yet? I'm considering this one from Shaun at SorT….

Early Mustang Complete Fuel Cell, Enduro Cell

Since I plan to track the car a few times a year I'm thinking I should go with a surge tank to keep from starving the engine of fuel in the corners. Other choices I'm thinking of are: Direct fill inside of trunk, "-8" supply and return lines, 16 gallon, and black powdercoat to keep it looking nice.

Curious as to what you plan to run for a fuel cell. Your car is very close to what I want mine to be. My motor, tranny, rear, suspension & brakes are done. Fuel cell and a cage to make it safe for the track, and updated gauges ( factory stuff is just awful at night ) and I think I'll be ready to do some HPDE days.

Thanks for any input your or others can provide!

Maybe I should start a new thread so I don't hijack this one...
The car currently has a JAZ fuel cell which is good enough to meet the rules for drag racing and time trials with NASA. Because I eventually plan to wheel to wheel the car I bought an FIA certified Fuel Safe cell. I already have a modified fuel cell structure so the Mustang specific ones wouldn't fit. I'm using a universal 15 gallon cell. I went with the holley hydramat to avoid fuel starvation. If carbed I'd recommend that and if fuel injected I'd work with Vaporworx to run a modern OEM pump with corner pickups. I have one of those in my Camaro and it's amazing!

It is a serious looking hotrod, do you plan to race it in NASA, maybe AIX, or are you hoping to run with a Vintage group? It’ll take some work to get it back to Vintage legal, but you mentioned you planned on doing some safety work. I ran with NASA (Thunder Group) for a few years but found I much prefer Vintage and the added respect/concern for avoiding deliberate contact.
Thanks. I have a list of series I'd like to run. Number 1 on the list is running with the Vintage Auto Racing Association (VARA) based here in SoCal. I like that they will let me run in their 80's GTO class as I have to many mods for true vintage classes. GTO has several modified 60's and 70's cars running in it and I like that we are on track at the same time as the vintage cars so I can still mix it up with them and benefit from the focus on no contact.

Second is NASA American Iron. AIX is dead on the west coast. The earlier Mustang's have more freedom to modify suspension in the rules so to be AI legal I just need to limit the power and run smaller tires. I can't make any races with NASA in 2019 but maybe 2020 I could start to earn my license with them. I've previously taken 3 racing schools and obtained my TT license with NASA in the past but it's been a while.

I also want to do some of the American Muscle Cup time trials series local to SoCal and some of the Shelby events.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I finally have an udpate. I've been working daily on the Mustang for the past month and have made a lot of progress. The 408w has been fully rebuilt. I've done picture based build threads on cars in the past but this time I'm experimenting with video and will focus more on that.

My first video covers the assembly from the short block to a complete engine again. It's a little heavy on the talking and light on assembly action but warms up more the second half. I have to do it myself to learn and I think the second video with installing into the car and trying to fire it up the first time will come out much better! You guys are going to get some groans and laughs at my expense as you watch this mostly GM guy make mistakes where Ford parts are different...

·
Spammer Hammer
11,308 Posts
Congrats...good luck with that rear main seal...I saw what I thought was mistake #3 before you even mentioned it in the video, but then I thought maybe you don’t need the plate with the T56 (assuming that’s what that trans is)...but I guess you do need it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Congrats...good luck with that rear main seal...I saw what I thought was mistake #3 before you even mentioned it in the video, but then I thought maybe you don’t need the plate with the T56 (assuming that’s what that trans is)...but I guess you do need it.
Thanks! Trans is a T3550, a precursor to the TKO series of trans. Stronger than a T-5 but not as strong as a T56. And now that I'm putting some miles on the car it probably needs to be rebuilt. There is a noticeable vibration in 5th.

Yeah I'm bummed I forgot the plate. Especially, since every time I saw it in the garage I would think to myself "don't forget to install that!" The car starts fine but there is a tiny bit of shininess to the flywheel teeth that makes me thing the starter isn't perfectly aligned. I plan to pull the transmission soon and probably have it rebuilt and can install the plate while I'm in there.

But first I'm hoping to get the car out on an autocross course this weekend to see what other issues I might need to tackle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I'm tying to get some break in miles on the engine and clutch so I drove my Racecar Mustang to work today. It's nice having a license plate :)

I'm also testing to see if my fix on an oil pan leak worked. As well as I had to change out the water temp guage. Guessing one of my friends got overzealous with the mechanical line during engine removal as it didn't work. Getting the sending unit snaked through the firewall wasn't easy!

Happy to see that the temps generally stayed between 170-180* (has a 180* thermostat in it). In two spots where I had to wait through multiple signal lights due to traffic it climbed as high as 195* Oil temps stayed between 180-200* But it was a nice relatively cool and sunny SoCal morning. This weekend at the autocross will be a better test assuming the car is ready. I got a whiff on tranny fluid twice on the drive so I'm guessing I have to trouble shoot a tranny leak now too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I finally got the Mustang to an autocross to shake it down! And boy am I glad I did it on an autocross and not a road course. Found lots of gremlins and broke the 3 link. I think this is my best episode yet so I hope you guys enjoy it!

Also, I'm giving away some free swag at the end of this episode in case you are interested in a free hat and t-shirt!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
In the video you mention addressing the stripe mismatch. While I was at it I would blacken the fake hood scoop opening. Yeah, its fake but it really stands out as fake with the stripes.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Wow, that roll cage failure looks bad. IMO, if the car will ever see open track racing, the whole cage should be cut out and replaced. The welds don't look great to begin with, and you can't trust the work of someone who would make such shoddy repairs. The main hoop is the foundation of the whole structure, and your foundation is rotten !

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
In the video you mention addressing the stripe mismatch. While I was at it I would blacken the fake hood scoop opening. Yeah, its fake but it really stands out as fake with the stripes.
I'll add that to the todo list. But it's a long list so that one might be a while :)

Wow, that roll cage failure looks bad. IMO, if the car will ever see open track racing, the whole cage should be cut out and replaced. The welds don't look great to begin with, and you can't trust the work of someone who would make such shoddy repairs. The main hoop is the foundation of the whole structure, and your foundation is rotten !
Yeah. I've been thinking about that a lot. I bought the car based on pictures and placed a lot of comfort on the car having been certified by NASA. I figured that meant the cage was in good shape. I was wrong :/

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I have the same hood sitting in a corner of the shop. Every time I look at it, I hate the way it looks. I'll probably try to open it up and finish the scoop opening, but underneath there is a hood brace in the way so I haven't quite figured out how to do it.

Reactions: Huntingky
41 - 60 of 99 Posts