Vintage Mustang Forums banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I thought I had posted an update on this already but I just noticed I haven't. I've started down the path of continuing to rebuild this car in all areas. Given my experience and success with a torque arm suspension I decided to eliminate the leaf springs while adding torque arm rear suspension. As I've driven all of the top pro touring suspension brands and have had good success with TCI Engineering in my Camaro I've decided to add TCI Engineering suspension to the Mustang. Including adding their pro touring IFS. Not only will this result in improved geometry, increased room in the engine compartment but also the ability to run 315 front tires.

Here is a quick update article I wrote on my blog: AutoXandTrack 1967 Mustang v2.0

Here are a few pics from the article:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hey Chad-1stGen, I coincidentally have been watching your AutoXandTrack youtube channel for the last few weeks for inspiration to get my fastback done. I have a soft spot for Camaros too, so it's fun watching your Camaro on track as well. Prior to seeing this post, I had already been watching you tear out the suspension and shock towers. When I saw the pictures above, I thought it looked familiar lol. Nice to see you're a member on the forum! Can wait to see the finished result!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Hey Chad-1stGen, I coincidentally have been watching your AutoXandTrack youtube channel for the last few weeks for inspiration to get my fastback done. I have a soft spot for Camaros too, so it's fun watching your Camaro on track as well. Prior to seeing this post, I had already been watching you tear out the suspension and shock towers. When I saw the pictures above, I thought it looked familiar lol. Nice to see you're a member on the forum! Can wait to see the finished result!
Awesome, glad to help inspire others to get in the garage. YouTube shows also help me get motivated to get out in the garage and get work done! Glad to hear the Camaro isn't a black mark either lol

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Chad, I like your car ! i have been following it on protouring site. I am a fan of the torque arm suspension as well. i built my own torque arm about a foot and half longer than the tcp arm ( the old version) to get it closer to CG of the vehicle. On this site the torque arm is ignored like the red headed bastard child, but he is a badass and can kick the **** out of his siblings lol.

anyways i look forward to more updates on this car !

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I don’t really see torque arms bashed here. Mike Maier and Cortex also use torque arms. I am not sure if torque arm or upper three link is better myself....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I don’t really see torque arms bashed here. Mike Maier and Cortex also use torque arms. I am not sure if torque arm or upper three link is better myself....
My comment was an exageration, but non less its relatively some truth to it being in majority of suspension posts are dominated my SOT or Opentracker referrals.Maier does not offer a torque arm that i am aware of. Nothing taken away from those guys they do offer a nice product. My point is it is nice to see stangs getting built with something different than whats popular around here lol

To touch on Torque arm vs traditional 3-link.
A 3 link with a non adjustable upper link mount offers pinion angle adjustment, but limits Instant center adjustment. your only adjustment is with the lower bars if the axle brackets have additional mounting slots. And if the location of the upper bar does not intersect with the lower bars you will get 100% squat, or positive rear squat which results in very poor traction This is why 3 links are not commonly used in drag racing. 3 link offers good pinion control and articulation ( which is good for cornering) but they lack in forward momentum performance.

Torque arm is easy to adjust the instant center, by length of the torque arm & intersection of lower bars. They tackle positive and anti-squat issues while also allowing good articulation and pinion control. They give you the best control in forward and lateral motions combined.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
FWIW TCP makes a leaf spring torque arm setup. Mike Maiers mod 2 rear setup has a torque arm

Reactions: Chad-1stGen

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
FWIW TCP makes a leaf spring torque arm setup. Mike Maiers mod 2 rear setup has a torque arm
yes sir, i like the TCP arm only problem is it's very short at only 40'' long... If you look at my build thread i fabricated a improved version of the original tcp arm. Its pretty slick, 56'' length, has a ton of adjustment, both housing ends + the front pivot can be length adjustment, the pivot mount also has 3 locating holes. i made it the most versatile as i could think of.
i just looked up that mod2 setup, very nice cantilever deal wow ! his torque arm is similar to TCP new style & griggs arm... All nice stuff !

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
So are you going back with the Windsor?

61 - 80 of 99 Posts