Vintage Mustang Forums banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You can put banjo fittings on the rack for more clearance if you have to.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Engine oil leak is most likely the end seal on the intake. Don't use the cork or rubber end seals just use RTV.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Engine oil leak is most likely the end seal on the intake. Don't use the cork or rubber end seals just use RTV.
I wish it was just the intake. its totally dry behind the intake. I too am a fan of RTV instead of the end seals and have always done it that way since my first intake swap almost 30 years ago.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
What, no 335s?

·
Registered
191 Posts
This episode explains that happens to many of us when you run into a slew of problems. It can kill the motivation and momentum.
Speaking only for myself, I know full well of what you speak. Usually I'm only down/dejected/frustrated/depressed for a few weeks, maybe a month or three. I have to say in one case it was about 6 years, but that is an anomaly. REALLY!
:-D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Glad to hear things are getting better.
16” of vacuum? What cam do you have? It seems pretty small with that much vacuum.
How do you spec a cam for autocross?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Glad to hear things are getting better.
16” of vacuum? What cam do you have? It seems pretty small with that much vacuum.
How do you spec a cam for autocross?
I'd spec a good midrange cam for autocross as that is where the engine spends a majority of it's time. I was surprised about that much vacuum too. I don't know if the RPM makes a difference by having it idle around 1,200 rpm. I just reused the cam that came in this car. It's 246/254 @.50 and .579/.598 lift with 108* lobe separation. It's a dog down low and I probably should change it out.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Ok, it’s the 1200 rpm That helps the vacuum.
If it’s strictly a road race car, then I would try that cam at least one time.
if you are auto crossing it, you might need a smaller cam for more low end. You would know better than most. My 372 Cleveland currently has a 230/230 @.050 cam on 110 LDA and it pulls pretty good from around 2500 up. I think I could stand more cam for open track days. Never autocrossed it though.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
BTW what cam are you running in the Camero? Something similar should work in the 408

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
BTW what cam are you running in the Camero? Something similar should work in the 408
I believe it’s 238/254 606 629 114

The Mustang engine is a bit of a mess. It has 185 AFRs which are too small for a 408 and a 650 carb on a dual plane but this high rpm cam. It’s all over the place. But I want to get the car running and fix the problems before “upgrading”.

·
Registered
51 Posts
New video! This is still from before my shoulder accident and is the last one before taking the car to the race track! I had to take care of some gremlins with the tire to fender clearance, alternator and a few miscellaneous other items.

Watched the other (two?) you've put out since as well. Hope your recovery goes well and congrats on the new house! We're in-progress of looking for a new one as well and outbuilding and/or 3-car is on the list.

On a car related note, and idea why there seemed to be a systemic oversteer issue with the car? I mean....live axle and all I get that but I'm curious if you've had time to adjust anything to help.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I enjoy your videos. Even when you are trying to brainwash young impressionable girls to believe in the dark side….

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Watched the other (two?) you've put out since as well. Hope your recovery goes well and congrats on the new house! We're in-progress of looking for a new one as well and outbuilding and/or 3-car is on the list.

On a car related note, and idea why there seemed to be a systemic oversteer issue with the car? I mean....live axle and all I get that but I'm curious if you've had time to adjust anything to help.
I assume you are referring to the Mustang spinning out for all 3 drivers when I finally got it on track. Except for that sudden snap oversteer the feedback is that the car was very balanced. I'm 99% positive that the snap oversteer is the clutch pressure plate being over extended. I recently converted from a cable clutch to a hydraulic clutch and because I like making my life difficult I failed to install a pedal stop. After driving the car back on the trailer and maneuvering it around the driveway garage I realized that about 10-20% of the time when you push the clutch pedal all the way it would overextend the PP fingers which would cause them to stick for a second. The few times it happened to me was just parking lot / driveway speeds and it was like side stepping the clutch when it would unstick. I went back and watched the videos of my friends on track and sure enough the spins were right after they tried to downshift.

Thanks for watching.

I enjoy your videos. Even when you are trying to brainwash young impressionable girls to believe in the dark side….
Ha ha. Thanks. If you've watched some of my Mustang vs Camaro videos, I do kind of enjoy stoking the Ford vs Chevy rivalry. At least I try to do it in a fun way. As someone that loves both brands and modifications I'm not very loyal to one thing myself. That said, for myself, I like an LS motor better than the older small block Ford and Chevy. Ditching my small block Chevy motors for LS was the best thing I ever did for power, oil leaks and fuel economy. But, nothing is cooler than a high compression small block or big block race motor. I day dream about rebuilding the 408w into a 13-13.5:1 e85 motor all the time. Maybe it will happen? Thanks for watching the channel!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I assume you are referring to the Mustang spinning out for all 3 drivers when I finally got it on track. Except for that sudden snap oversteer the feedback is that the car was very balanced. I'm 99% positive that the snap oversteer is the clutch pressure plate being over extended. I recently converted from a cable clutch to a hydraulic clutch and because I like making my life difficult I failed to install a pedal stop. After driving the car back on the trailer and maneuvering it around the driveway garage I realized that about 10-20% of the time when you push the clutch pedal all the way it would overextend the PP fingers which would cause them to stick for a second. The few times it happened to me was just parking lot / driveway speeds and it was like side stepping the clutch when it would unstick. I went back and watched the videos of my friends on track and sure enough the spins were right after they tried to downshift.

Thanks for watching.
Huh, that's real interesting! I was perplexed watching, the car looked real well sorted and all the drivers seemed to be more than comfortable on the track so it was just surprising. What you are describing would definitely be cause for the surprise (for the drivers) and the oversteer lol. I need to make the stops for my clutch and throttle yet so that's something I'll keep in mind. Thanks for making great content on our cars, there's not a whole lot out there.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts