Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop finally got my system finished. I had to go get it and "modify" my tri-y headers to clear the power steering cylinder. Now the system's installed, and it's really quiet. Quieter than the single muffler setup it had before. I'm sure it flows better, but it sounds more like a sedan than a muscle car.

I'm sad. Once I get the carpeting and sound deadener in, I won't even be able to hear my idle.

-Matt

·
Registered
571 Posts
Which system did you get? I was looking at a magnaflo too, I don't want it to be too quiet.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
quiet

What mufflers does the new system have ? Can the muffs be swapped for something different ? Like flows or something ? LSG

·
Registered
571 Posts
That's the same kit I was looking at for my car, sorry to hear you don't like it. If it was for a 351, I'd offer to buy it off you. Any chance you could post a sound clip so we could hear what it sounds like.

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear that you aren't pleased with your exhaust, most of us have been there before. I had a set of Dynomaxes on a 5.0 Mustang that were too quiet, but still annoyed me on the highway :(

I may try the magnaflows though, now that you've said they are too quiet. I was thinking about stock for my '65 Convert. My friend has 50 series flows on his 57 Chevy convert and can't stand it with the top up (its great top down)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Are we talking about a stock 8.5:1 compression engine? Yeah, that will be pretty quiet if you have the x-pipe.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Are we talking about a stock 8.5:1 compression engine? Yeah, that will be pretty quiet if you have the x-pipe.
X2, if that exhaust is too quiet, you need more motor! :pirate:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mufflers

I have a 351W with stock exhaust manifolds. Engine has Edelbrock aluminum heads and 9.6:1 compression. I used 2.5" aluminized pipe with Flo-Pro FP-212 mufflers. I like these much better than FloMax because they provide a much "throatier" sound. Fords have a tendency to have a high pitched "rap" to them, but I prefer the lower tone sound.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had dual chamber flow masters with 3" straight pipe, that dumped straight off the mufflers, on my 70'. Talk about loud, i remember pulling up to the supermarket and watching all the windows on the front of the store vibrate. You could forget about trying to have any kind of conversation in it, the drone was so bad it rattled your fillings, lol.

Everyone else thought it sounded cool as hell though. Good thing, because i was too poor to replace it.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
I listened to a bunch of different Mustangs with different systems before I spent my money. I have flowmaster 40's and I love them.
Stan

·
Registered
10 Posts
What engine do you have? Could you post a soundclip? :content:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I listened to a bunch of different Mustangs with different systems before I spent my money. I have flowmaster 40's and I love them.
Stan
+1 on this. I have these mufflers on my Stroked Windsor and its a nice sound. Not to quiet and not to loud.

Edit: My bad, I checked my notes since I am not around the car to check and I am running Magnaflows Ovals not Flowmasters

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
The shop finally got my system finished. I had to go get it and "modify" my tri-y headers to clear the power steering cylinder. Now the system's installed, and it's really quiet. Quieter than the single muffler setup it had before. I'm sure it flows better, but it sounds more like a sedan than a muscle car.

I'm sad. Once I get the carpeting and sound deadener in, I won't even be able to hear my idle.

-Matt

Matt, please post the part numbers or system number/specs of the system on your Stang. I plan to install duals on my stock C code 68 vert. I'd love it to be discustingly quiet!

·
Registered
345 Posts
As already has been pointed out, lot depends on the engine. I've got the same 2.5" Magnaflow system behind a 450ish HP 11:1 compression 347 with Hooker longtubes. It's noisy as hell!
If it wasn't for the overdrive on my 4R70W trans, conversation at highway speeds would be useless. I've been warned about the noise at one race track day, and send off another.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,660 Posts
I've got Flowmaster Super 40's on mine and let me tell you, they are LOUD. I just consider it as extra insurance against auto theft though. There's no way someone could take off in it without me knowing from an acre away :lol:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a good point. I've got a 4100 and an edelbrock performer intake going on soon. That should increase the volumetric efficiency, just a little. But short of lengthening the stroke, I'm not too sure how to increase the compression ratio.

-Matt

·
Registered
921 Posts
could always change out the pistons or have the heads milled.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts