Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swung by today after work to check out the 302 I just won on Ehay for $300. As I feared, it's missing some stuff, like pistons and connecting rods. I had the opportunity to back out, but I didn't. He had receipts for fresh boring, honing, milling, magnafluxing, new valves, complete head machining etc. that came out to WAY more than $300, so I stuck with the deal. Now I just have to figure out how to explain the new pile of iron to SWMBO!

Can anybody recommend a good book on building up a 302? Just the basics, I'm not interested in getting 1200 HP out of this thing! Thanks

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You don't need no stinkin' book! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I say buy one of the many twin turbo kits on the market for 302's! That would make for a REALLY COOL little Spitfire. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Congrats on the new engine. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines
By Tom Monroe
ISBN 0-912656-89-1

Ford Windsor Small-block Performance
Isaac Martin
ISBN 1-55788-323-8

The second one is the better of the two for performance. If you only need pistons and rods and everything else machine shop wise is done, your doing real good so far. If this is your first engine build, you should look to get someone to look over your shoulder while you pick your parts and build your motor.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Is this for the spitfire, Dan? What happened to the 215 Buick idea? I put a 302 in a Austin 3000 last year, it wasn't challenging eniough! *G*

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congrats on the score. I treat my Monroe book on SBF rebuilds like the family Bible. I haven't read the other book mentioned, but the Tom Monroe book is great.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I think I 've got 5000 or so buddies to look over my shoulder while I'm picking parts and building this thing. I'm counting on VMF!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like you need to check out one of the suppliers for a kit.....You might look at PAW. They have all you need in a kit. Also, Summit or Jegs....Do some calling around. The stuff you need to finish the motor is not all that expensive, and you have a NEW engine....
Good Luck....this may be the easiest part of your project....

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've researched the Buick 215's, and even talked to a bunch of people who did that conversion at the british car show last weekend. Sounds like a much more expensive way to go with far less options and potential for power. Granted, I'll have to beef the front end for the extra weight (I'm thinking chopped Mustang II front end), but, there's a couple real good reasons to go with a 302:

1. I plan on spending some money and time on this engine. If I totally botch up the Spitfire, I can drop the choo choo into my Stang.

2. There's a few thousand VMFers who know these engines intimately just waiting to answer all my stupid questions.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny thing is, I did some major garage cleaning last week and threw out all my old Summit, PAWs, JEGs etc. catalogs ... DOH!! Ah well, a couple quick phone calls and I'll be re-armed with ways to spend money!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yes I know you 5000 virtual buddies, but there is nothing like having a real live one there with you to point out the little things that can make or break a good engine build. It's the little details that can cost you more than you might ever guess or even ruin a good motor.

I'm sure you'll do fine,

G

·
I'm glad you're happy, as I was following your thread yesterday. It's just too bad that some people on that action site aren't totally honest. Letting you know that there are no pistons or rods is a pretty big deal if you ask me.

But not to worry. Certainly the work you describe would cost more than $300.00.

I would be excited about this deal. It forces you into paying attention to the most important area of a SB Ford. Rods and pistons. Often these are ignored for the more glamorous speed gadgets. If this were mine, I would look at some good after market rods and pistons. Have them dialed in real nice with the crank. While you won't ever get to the 1200 HP, paying attention to this area can get you to a reliable 300.

Just my thoughts, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Hmmm... No pistons or connecting rods? Sounds like a 331 or 347 kit is in order./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts