Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, much to my amazement, I got kickpanels and Infinity 6.5" speakers for my birthday. They were exactly the ones I bought, painted, assembled, and gave to my wife for wrapping. Check them out.

I used aluminum tape to fake the chrome strip my two-tone pony interior is supposed to have, and painted the lower half instead of carpet.

I have them installed, and they sound great. I'm not thrilled with the 1 inch spacers I installed, and may try to install them without the spacers.

Just about ready for the GN show. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
They look really sharp Mark! Too bad you had to use spacers; I've heard that complaint several times. It's not really very noticable to anyone else though, is it?

That's actually the main reason I'm building my own kickpanels. I've started with thin plywood for the panels themselves, and am attaching the bottoms of plastic sand pales to them. (So far, my daughter hasn't missed them!) They should house a 6.5" speaker perfectly; have a better bass response because of the additional depth; and require no shimming on their backside.

Now let's just see if I can keep from kicking the faceplates off with my size 12s!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Lookin' good....

What an amazing coincidence ! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Back in my single days, when I had both time and discretionary income, every Christmas I'd buy myself something I really wanted but would never ask for or expect to receive, and wrap it up with a tag "To Dickson From Uncle Bob" - Of course I have no Uncle Bob, but I enjoyed the fun of it.....Now that I have a wife and kids I just ask for ties and socks /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm having a he#$ of a time trying to find a location for speakers in my vert. I heard that the kick panel speakers are ok.but not if you have feet and a 4 speed. Where else have ya'll put them?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm having a he#$ of a time trying to find a location for speakers in my vert. I heard that the kick panel speakers are ok.but not if you have feet and a 4 speed. Where else have ya'll put them?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 3.5" Infinity's in the dash were quite good all by themselves until I got the kickpanels speakers. I agree, if you have a clutch, the kickpanels speaks would be in the way. Especially with the spacers.

Could also put a powered sub in the trunk. That might be my next audio upgrade.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
There's always the "stock" location...if you don't mind cutting into your perfectly good doors. Or you could always upgrade your radio speaker(s) in the dash location. But if you do, please stay away from the ready-made dual speaker setup you can buy from parts houses. I was foolish enough to buy a set of these twice - blew both of them in no time (with relatively low wattage systems). Just fabricate your own. Not much separation; but completely hidden.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Cut the spacers down to 1/2 inch......and paint the texured spacer
the same color as the panel. SOmetimes the grilles that the speakers came with can be used to make "stock looking" grilles
by upholstering them and painting the black vinyl to match the rest of the assembly.

I wish someone would make a vent/speaker combo for 69-70 stangs.

I am still working on making mine...using carbboard I built a rough
assemlby and started using fiberglass and bodyfiller to mold a set.

The 6.5 inch will be below and to the front of the vent....and the tweeters will be in the AC side vent holes for better imaging.

regards

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have them in the tunk now, The whole world gets blown out but me. I was even thinking of cutting the metal side panels in the back seat, but haven't quite gotten that desperate. I may just have to start experimentiing......

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have the same speakers with a similar spacer. I do have a stickshift, it's not as bad as you might think. Those Infinity are
amazing speakers, I have a large amp powering the fronts and it sound awesome.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I was able to fit 2" of back spacing with a little help from a large hammer. You did a real nice job on blending in a good set of speakers to the vintage delux interior. This is where resto-mod makes life a bit easier.

http://www.alltel.net/~motorhead/IMG_1088.JPG

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've got less than an inch clearance between my kick panels and the clutch pedal, and don't have any problems at all while driving. I suppose with size 12's you may rub a little, but my 10.5's are fine. I'd think just about anyone can use the kick panels with spacers without much trouble.
http://jr.stangnet.com/images/Stang171.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts