Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the history: 351, stroked to 377, had an AOD in it. Now there is a T-5 world class, Lakewood bellhousing, 164 tooth flywheel.
Well, upon starting is, seems the starter stays engaged. So, I dropped it out. Did some measuring, and, seems I need a starter wwhere the gear sits 3/8" less towards the flywheel when it is not engaged. Yes, the teeth of the flywheel are a lot closer to the opening than with the AOD's flex plate.
No, I am not going to drop out the trans, and flywheel to cut the flywheel teeth deeper.
More facts: It is a mid-90's Ranger mini starter. And, more measuring, seems it meausure the same as any other Fomoco starter from the 60's.
Ok, is there some kind of starter spacer out there. I think I need about 1/4". Or, is it time to visit a machine shop to cut some off that gear?

Any ideas? Let's hear them. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
Summit Racing sells shims made for shimming out starters. Take a look.

·
Registered
159 Posts
you need a Ford mini starter for a manual transmission. The pinion gear sits flush with the starter opening because as you mentioned, the flywheel is closer to the rear of the block than the auto flexplate was.

see here for example and part numbers:
Manual starter

Automatic starter

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
JP68GTCS said:
you need a Ford mini starter for a manual transmission. The pinion gear sits flush with the starter opening because as you mentioned, the flywheel is closer to the rear of the block than the auto flexplate was.

see here for example and part numbers:
Manual starter

Automatic starter

+1 Manual starters are different than automatics.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I was using the automatic starter, even after switching to the stick shift.
So, I'm running down to the parts store....now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts