Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just picked up this 1966 yesterday. It has a recent paint job, 70% new interior, 289 with 351 heads, 3-Speed manual, 9" rear, & disc brakes. I am planning on adding a power booster to the brakes, power steering, and who knows from there. The front frame rails have rust so that needs to be taken care of before I go any further. Its in need of a lot but a lot was already done already.

Ever since high school, I always wanted a 64 1/2 to 66 Mustang coupe V8 manual transmission. Instead I bought a 1980 Firebird Formula, which I also still own. 21 years later, I finally get my Mustang. A few years ago I had a 69 coupe drag car and a 69 fastback that was a wreck and sold both with a month of owning them. This one looks like a keeper.

My wife has a 1990 Mustang GT that she bought brand new so its neat to have the pair of them. This looked like the right place to questions and answers during my build and I will post pictures of the progress. Here are a couple pictures I took of it an hour ago:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Welcome aboard... looks like a great start you have there. This is a great forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the kind words. I know I will be asking a lot of questions but its all for a good cause. I found pictures of both 69 Mustangs and my wifes GT I'd like to share:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Three gauges on the cowl the of '69?! Must have been a rare option. :)

Congratulations on the recent purchase. Looks like a nice project :thumbsup:
Thanks for the :thumbsup:. That 69 Coupe was an old drag car. Ran 12.60's with the 351c and 12.0's with the shot of NOS. I am not a fan of laughing gas and never used it myself. That thing was a great sleeper. Looked like death but ran like a champ. I think I kept one of the time slips for giggles.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Congrats on the new toy, looks like a nice start....lots of info at this site, and welcome... :)
Tom

·
Registered
243 Posts
Always nice to see a coupe getting some love. Looks like a very good start. Hopefully the body was done right under the paint. Do you know who did the paint / body work? If you know the history it is obviously no big deal.
Ditch that 3 speed for a toploader or a 5 speed. You've got the nine inch and the previous owner was modifying the motor so I am sure it was on their plate as well. Previous owner gave up on it I guess???

Good luck and keep us posted with the progress. They oooz vintage mustang knowledge on here. Always ask before you guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A T-5 conversion has crossed my mind already. When I first went to look at the car, he said it was a 4-speed, then when I got there he said it was a 3-speed. I think this was his first old car and never tried to build something before. The reason he sold it was for an engagement ring.

I am a classic car broker so I have an advantage of being able to check out the Mustangs in inventory and see what I am missing and where things go. Right now we have a K-Code Fastback in the showroom that is super clean. I was rolling around that thing yesterday seeing how brake lines and fuel lines are run, as well as the parking brake cables. Here is a picture of that car:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got a little time after work today to really see what I got myself into. I emptied the car out so I can see everything there, see whats in the boxes, and get the backseat in place. From what I see, this used to be a Red on Red 200 inline (T-code) 6-cyl 3-speed manual transmission 'stang. When I first looked at the car, I thought it was a 4-speed then the kid said it was only a 3-speed. With all the crap that was inside the car, I really didn't bother checking the shift pattern since I figured the kid knew what he had. Well apparently he didn't because I found out shes a 4-speed Top Loader. That was a nice discovery. Now if I only knew the real gear ratio as he said its a 4.90 gear set and that just doesn't seem right.

I also found out that the drivers and passenger floor is going to need a lot of finish welding as they are just basically tacked in there. I wasn't able to see that well when I checked it out the first time but now its on my trailer, I was able to get a better look.

This is the list I came up with so far of needs, which will grow greatly as I get further along in this project:

• Repair from frame rails
  • Finish floor install
  • New brake Lines
  • Rebuild rear drums
  • Everything for parking brake (all missing)
  • Driveshaft (missing)
  • Everything for heater under the dash (all missing)
  • Front shocks and shock mounts (missing)
  • Shock tower to firewall bars (missing)
  • Radiator
  • Throttle linkage
  • Reinstall wiring in engine compartment and possible other wire issues
  • Front marker lights
  • Replace rear taillights and chrome
  • Front and rear bumpers
  • Door handles
  • Other assorted trim items
  • Complete lock set (door, trunk, ignition switch - missing)
  • Grill trim
  • Kick panels
  • Rear package shelf
  • Dash pad
  • Headliner
  • Driver seat back
  • Gauges and bezel (both beat up)
  • Glove box door and liner
  • Complete weatherstripping set
  • Who knows what else?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Just a heads up, if you have the shock tower braces laying around, you may want to install them. I have heard, not sure if it is true, that it is a royal pain in the butt to get them on there if the car has been sitting for a long time with them off.

Gonna be a great car! Weird that the previous owner painted the car BEFORE getting the frame welding done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whats even stranger is the PO to the PO was a VoTech teacher and was the one who did the body. Thats really scary. I wish I had the braces but I don't. The kid is supposed to find some more boxes of stuff for me by the weekend so I am hoping they are in there with the mounts for the shocks as well.

He has another set of doors and I hope they were the originals because the door tag on the car doesn't match the vin in the engine compartment.

I started to add up the prices for stuff I need for the car. I should stop now or else it might just go back up for sale - LOL. I heard the 351w heads on the 289's require a special header for these early Mustangs. Any advice on these?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
JT,

I wouldn't get too worried about some of the mechanical things until you have the body in order. Scary how quickly these things get expensive.

About the braces, the orignals suck anyway. :) Find a Scott Drake brand (important) "export brace". They come in chrome and black. They were used on Shelbys, much better than the stock ones. The non-Scott Drakes are not nearly as nice.

·
Registered
21,011 Posts
Welcome from another coupe owner! Great start, don't worry too much on the missing parts because you'd probably end up having to replace them anyway. The 351W heads have exactly the same exhaust port size and locations as a 289 head, the same header and exhaust manifolds work for either. It's the GT40P head has a different plug location that needs a specific header....that's probably what you've heard. Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice. My first priority was to get the body done first since there is nothing in the car, this is the time to do it. Once that is done, its time to get it running. I am talking with my body guy today about doing the work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
** 10 Month update **

I haven't done a whole lot to the car since I bought it. Other projects and obligations stopped me from getting anything done. Also the body guy I know put me off for 6 months to finish the floors. But, the floors are finally finished as well as the frame rail repaired. I figured that car should have been done by now. Argh...

This is why I tell my own customers buy one done and drive it. These projects never seem to get done and never within budget. I have contemplated selling it to someone who has the time and garage to finish it. I hate to give up but I am not sure I will finish it.

All is not lost though. Since its been a fairly mild winter, I started to work on the car since I moved it to my shop. When its slow I have been tinkering. Not a whole lot of work done, but progress never the less.

Here are a couple pictures I took at the end of november after the floors were repaired.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello,

It looks like a pretty good project. I don't think it will be bad to finish off. I really like the blue that the PO to the PO painted the car. Do you happen to know what the color is actually called, or the code for it, by any chance?

Thanks,

Shelbyfan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do have the paint name and code. I was lucky enough to have the cans and material he used to paint it. I will be back at my shop tomorrow and I'll post it then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
65 degrees today in nj in February gave me an excuse to work on the car at work. Between customers I took a bunch of parts that need to be painted, prepped them, painted them and ready for install. I also notice my hood latch was missing from my parts pile.

If this weather keeps up I'll actually get some work done this week. Tomorrow the driveshaft goes it.

Oh and I'll remember to post the paint tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I got a little time after work today to really see what I got myself into. I emptied the car out so I can see everything there, see whats in the boxes, and get the backseat in place. From what I see, this used to be a Red on Red 200 inline (T-code) 6-cyl 3-speed manual transmission 'stang. When I first looked at the car, I thought it was a 4-speed then the kid said it was only a 3-speed. With all the crap that was inside the car, I really didn't bother checking the shift pattern since I figured the kid knew what he had. Well apparently he didn't because I found out shes a 4-speed Top Loader. That was a nice discovery. Now if I only knew the real gear ratio as he said its a 4.90 gear set and that just doesn't seem right.

I also found out that the drivers and passenger floor is going to need a lot of finish welding as they are just basically tacked in there. I wasn't able to see that well when I checked it out the first time but now its on my trailer, I was able to get a better look.

This is the list I came up with so far of needs, which will grow greatly as I get further along in this project:

• Repair from frame rails
  • Finish floor install
  • New brake Lines
  • Rebuild rear drums
  • Everything for parking brake (all missing)
  • Driveshaft (missing)
  • Everything for heater under the dash (all missing)
  • Front shocks and shock mounts (missing)
  • Shock tower to firewall bars (missing)
  • Radiator
  • Throttle linkage
  • Reinstall wiring in engine compartment and possible other wire issues
  • Front marker lights
  • Replace rear taillights and chrome
  • Front and rear bumpers
  • Door handles
  • Other assorted trim items
  • Complete lock set (door, trunk, ignition switch - missing)
  • Grill trim
  • Kick panels
  • Rear package shelf
  • Dash pad
  • Headliner
  • Driver seat back
  • Gauges and bezel (both beat up)
  • Glove box door and liner
  • Complete weatherstripping set
  • Who knows what else?
Well, if you want to come a couple hours up I-95, I've got some old parts off my '66 on your list. I'm not really looking to get anything out of them - heck, a case of beer might do it. I've got the parking brake parts, most of the heater parts, & most of the front suspension. I think I've also got a radiator & possibly a driveshaft - probably at least 25% of the stuff on your list. I'm not going to reuse it and I don't want to just throw it away. Depending on how "perfect" you want things to look, I've got the bumpers, but they have a few scratches and chips. Once you know what you need, let me know & you can come get what you want.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts