Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new repop 70 decklid does not have the holes in it for the MUSTANG pin letters...

Would you attempt to drill each hole - 14 or so ? I can create a template based on my old rusty decklid and transpose the hole locations. Or would you go with a set of stick-on MUSTANG letters ? I am worried about the drill walking on me and getting a hole off. I would be leary of counter punching each hole prior to drilling to, as I would be afraid that punching it may cause a dent also - which after counter sinking 14 or so holes, I would think that back decklid face would be wavier than the ocean.

What do you think ?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I would not try to drill them without centerpunching each hole. The drill WILL slip at least once. Now, since you have to paint the lid anyway, why not do it right and lay out the templet you can make, lightly punch each spot, and drill using a drill press that you can get accuracy with. Another way to get better accuracy might be to make a steel template to clamp to the lid and drill using it as a guide. May not need to centerpunch this way. I just never have cared for the stick on ones.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would run tape along the area where the letters will go and the layout the hole locations on the tape. Find the smallest drill bit possible 1/16 or smaller (use a new bit that is sharp), and drill through as needed.Once the tiny holes are drilled the larger drill will follow the small hole. Take your time getting the tiny drill started and everything will work out fine. I have used this method and it works well. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I would take all the letters and put them on a really and fat gold rope chain and hang them around your neck. Then I would get a second set and make a ring out of each one with fake diamonds adorning them. :winkgrin: :rofl:

take a pic of you in that outfit and use THAT as your signature and you would really be scary. Unlike that tough guy picture you have now. :joker:

( seriously, do it right and drill the holes.)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I would take all the letters and put them on a really and fat gold rope chain and hang them around your neck. Then I would get a second set and make a ring out of each one with fake diamonds adorning them. :winkgrin: :rofl:

take a pic of you in that outfit and use THAT as your signature and you would really be scary. Unlike that tough guy picture you have now. :joker:

( seriously, do it right and drill the holes.)
:rofl: :rofl: NoLookingBack, you crack me :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Jeremy, here's another option. Leave them off all together! Nice clean line without the wax traps!!!! I had planned to do that with mine, but the intermediate PO had them put in when he had it done.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea - I have thought about that option also Ed. But I'm torn. But I have not thought about them being wax traps though.... hmmmm.. decisions, decisions...

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
don't they sell the trunk letters that stick on instead of having to need holes drilled?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I am an advocate of using the stick on letters, but use 3M emblem glue to supplement the "stick" supplied on the backside of each letter. The emblem glue is clear which makes it easier to hide any junk seeping from the edges when the letter is applied. Yes, these letter are a PIA in holding wax. They are also a PIA to install evenly and correctly spaced. Even with a template and most of the factory holes not blocked by body filler, I got the A crooked. If I recall, the MachOne did not have these letters and simply had the striping. Am I right? If so, this gives you a Ford factory reason for selected a bare rear (humm, that did not come out the way I intended. :naive:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I am pleased with the way my '66 came out with all emblems left off. Go tired of cleaning around them. I had to drill if I wanted to mount them so that was another reason not to put on emblems. Makes people think to figure out the little things.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
With a 65 GT, needed all new letters. Using the old fender as a template was a loss. Seems as thought the pins on the repop letters DID NOT line up well. Would have had very crooked, no fit letters at best. Cut all the pins off, got a good brand of contact glue at HD. framed the letter area with 3M masking tape, made verical pencil marks to get the centers of each letter for even spacing as per original fender. Using a straight line of masking tape as a guide, glued them on. 5 years later, they are still on and no one would ever know. The new owner uses a very soft brush to clean around them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts