Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My misrepresented EBAY '68 Bullitt built by owner Bryan Edson came with intermittent brake failure, brake lines routed wrong interfering on full front tire turns, more discovered later. Car had 50 miles by builder. 2018- car went for repair to Bruno's Classic Muscle in MD-Installed new brake lines, saw exhaust systen had been heated crushed by builder for clearance around clutch linkage/frame rails.Tail pipe hangars improperly mounted/ broken. Compromised pipe was removed. Custom 2.5" exhaust fabricated for proper fit/ clearance with New hangars. Starter motor interfering with header getting heat soaked for hard start. Starter wiring improper gauge-heat damaged. Replaced starter for high torque mini-starter,rewired starter circuit. Driveshaft 1" too short causing transmission yoke to not fully engage transmission splines. Installed new driveshaft. MSD distributor with an incorrect drive gear. Ride height too low. Adjusted front coil over suspension. Oil pan-engine up against cross member to be corrected; header has to be bent for spacing clutch linkage. Edson also built me a '67 GT500 restomod before I knew all the bad on the Bullitt, he said GT car was debugged but it wasn't. Bruno's disassembled cars interior to fix gauges, correct bare loose hot wires, poorly grounded incorrect gauge wiring to sensors, wires not grometed but cut/chaffed exposed to metal frame holes.E-Brake not working incorrect for rear disc brakes replaced by an electronic brake. Magnaflow exhaust installed existing Borla defective. Car had to be torqued properly in all areas and the cheap bent wheel stops were modified to stop front wheels hitting car's sub frame on tight turns. Incorrect cheap generic grommet to secure hose providing coolant to the supercharger was over tightened,cracked,leaked. Brunos completed all repairs on Nov.1, 2019 and the $6,008.82 invoice describes the bad corrected on the car in detail.
The builder charged me twice for the gas tank and fuel pump and he owes $1000 back the higher of the two amounts noted on the cost spreadsheet. The builder was requested to return all the component manuals, warranties and EFI software and plug harness but has also failed to comply.
On 9/3/2019 I offered the builder to repair the GT500 resto mod and for him to cover shipping the GT500 resto mod both ways. He failed to respond.
In addition I spent approx $4500 to correct the bad so far on the Bullitt which needs more repairs. Builder said he would work with me and cover costs in part but he did not. Builder did not honor implied warranty of merchantability. Builder breached contract by being 2yrs late. Case now with BBB & MO ATTY. General. Posted to voice my opinion and keep members safe. See another project from Edson advertised while he was building my GT500 https://www.vintage-mustang.com/for...e/1156106-1967-mustang-gt-s-code-4-speed.html

·
Registered
246 Posts
doesnt sound like anything major - seems like you got taken advantage of more by the second shop - you should probably stick to late model muscle if your expectations are perfection with an old car

·
Registered
508 Posts
Your are not alone. One of my friends (before I knew him) bought a 66 convert from a well know classic car shop outside of Atlanta GA that they "100%" restored. The first 2 years he spent over $6000 with another shop on fixing poorly or incorrectly installed or wrong parts. So when dealing with an outside shop, it truly is Buyer Be Ware...!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doesnt sound like anything major - seems like you got taken advantage of more by the second shop - you should probably stick to late model muscle if your expectations are perfection with an old car
'67 GT 500 resto mod was built new from ground up -140,000 cost- all components new of the highest quality. Chip Davis from Expert Auto Appraisals said it was virtually a new car. The car is similar to those produced by Revology/Classic Recreations -Brand-New Reproduction Classic Mustang. The '68 Bullitt was rotisserie restored ground up with all new suspension, rebuilt 390, and many other new components.

The new repair shop I used is run by members of the National Capital Region Mustang Club that I belong to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your are not alone. One of my friends (before I knew him) bought a 66 convert from a well know classic car shop outside of Atlanta GA that they "100%" restored. The first 2 years he spent over $6000 with another shop on fixing poorly or incorrectly installed or wrong parts. So when dealing with an outside shop, it truly is Buyer Be Ware...!
Agreed. The builder befriended me, got the project and I misjudged him.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Never -- EVER -- buy on reputation, and never -- EVER -- let a friendship influence what you pay for a vehicle. Especially a new "friendship". Nobody can get you to like them quicker than a sociopath or con artist. You really have to treat every single deal as if it were someone you've never met or heard of, take nothing at face value, and always inspect, inspect, inspect. If you don't know enough to do the in-depth inspection justified by the big pile of money you're about to hand over, then either educate yourself or find someone who does and who you know for certain is on your side, and yours alone.

As this and countless other experiences by countless other buyers should make crystal clear, nothing the seller says is of the slightest value once the deal is done. Even a written contract is only worth the seller's willingness to back it up after he has your money (hint: almost always zero). They're nice in theory, but in practice nearly worthless.

Just remember, the ONLY reason you're able to buy a car is because someone else doesn't want it. There's probably a good reason for that, you just have to figure out what it is and deal accordingly.

Are there honest, reputable restorers and dealers out there? Sure. Do you want to bet five or six figures that your new best friend is one of them? I'd take slot machine odds first.

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
mgmihala is counting on some sort of goodwill but has now taken at least three actions that burn that possibility. After all my years in the car biz I've seen this sort of thing many times. At this stage the seller cannot be expected to respond at all unless forced by legal action to do so, and then will just waltz in and hang their hat on the language in the signed purchase agreement. Buyer beware indeed, and an expensive lesson in it. The whole thing stinks, but that's the deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Before I took any actions I posted and e mailed a demand letter extending an olive branch to settle the matter with a reasonable offer from him. The builder ignored those correspondences and other friendly e mails by me for us to settle the matter w/o outside intervention. Ahead of all the aforementioned he mentioned in e mails to me that he would assist and work with me on my costs because he did not want us on bad terms even telling the repair shop that he would cover me to some extent. He did not walk the talk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never -- EVER -- buy on reputation, and never -- EVER -- let a friendship influence what you pay for a vehicle. Especially a new "friendship". Nobody can get you to like them quicker than a sociopath or con artist. You really have to treat every single deal as if it were someone you've never met or heard of, take nothing at face value, and always inspect, inspect, inspect. If you don't know enough to do the in-depth inspection justified by the big pile of money you're about to hand over, then either educate yourself or find someone who does and who you know for certain is on your side, and yours alone.

As this and countless other experiences by countless other buyers should make crystal clear, nothing the seller says is of the slightest value once the deal is done. Even a written contract is only worth the seller's willingness to back it up after he has your money (hint: almost always zero). They're nice in theory, but in practice nearly worthless.

Just remember, the ONLY reason you're able to buy a car is because someone else doesn't want it. There's probably a good reason for that, you just have to figure out what it is and deal accordingly.

Are there honest, reputable restorers and dealers out there? Sure. Do you want to bet five or six figures that your new best friend is one of them? I'd take slot machine odds first.
The car was inspected by Chip Davis Expert Auto Appraisals a few months before it was completed but after I saw the wiring mistakes mentioned in my write up under the sills, seat carpeting, dash etc there was no way the inspector was going to see that. Brunos took the car apart. Chip Davis made a list of corrections to be made but the builder failed to complete them. I live out of state.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mgmihala is counting on some sort of goodwill but has now taken at least three actions that burn that possibility. After all my years in the car biz I've seen this sort of thing many times. At this stage the seller cannot be expected to respond at all unless forced by legal action to do so, and then will just waltz in and hang their hat on the language in the signed purchase agreement. Buyer beware indeed, and an expensive lesson in it. The whole thing stinks, but that's the deal.
Before I took any actions I posted and e mailed a demand letter extending an olive branch to settle the matter with a reasonable offer from him. The builder ignored those correspondences and other friendly e mails by me for us to settle the matter w/o outside intervention. Ahead of all the aforementioned he mentioned in e mails to me that he would assist and work with me on my costs because he did not want us on bad terms even telling the repair shop that he would cover me to some extent. He did not walk the talk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am closing this thread in a positive stance. In my opinion and by all our opinionated correspondences, I believe the builder may do right by me in the end by mediation with the BBB and Consumer Protection Agency involved. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts