Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a friend tell me that my rear end is low/sagging.
I noticed the car was low in the rear?

I was told that is because the springs have sagged.

I want to get this fixed in the near future.
I called a place yesterday and they have a couple of used rear's out of some 289 stangs. Mine is the 71/2 on the I6.
I want to swap out this rear for one of the heavier duty ones. As I am working on getting parts for a front rebuild.
But maybe I should go to the rear first.
I was also told it is cheaper and easier to do the rear.

My question is, if I get one of the used rear ends, what size should I look for 8" or 9", I assume I will have to take this in and have a machine shop restore it. It is used.

What else would I need to replce with this, I have the I6 and a 3 speed auto trans? I know I'll need wheels and tires.

Anything else?

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If your keeping your I6, I'd suggest looking for an 8 inch!! The 8-inch can hold up to 400 horsepower if built correctly!! So I don't see you needing more than that!! Hope this helps!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well,

Maybe not. I would like to do this with the intention of replacing the I6 down the road. I am doing the front this way. Just in case I decide to go that route.

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if ur rear is sagging why dont u just get new leaf springs¿ is a rear end upgrade in ur plans also¿ if ur just trying to get rid of the sag then get some leaf springs. that should take car of the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, the 8-inch will hold up to most V-8's even!! Unless your going full out racing!! People always underestimate the 8-inch.

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim,

My SWMBO said "This is a problem that I have, what can I do"?

I said, I'll get a younger SWMBO, without a sagging rear...!!!!!

Just a thought.....

Larry........... (hope she doesn't read this)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hey ,
How do you get "?" upside down?

And "why" do you ?

If in doubt give it a clout
If at first you don't succeed , find a bigger hammer
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=43600042.jpg

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Larry.
You sure do live on the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!
We need a photo of you ,SWMBO,and your car(s)
before you go on hols.

Deal?

If in doubt give it a clout
If at first you don't succeed , find a bigger hammer
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=43600042.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by AussieMustang on 03/29/01 05:43 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John.... living on the edge is a daily occurrence here....!!!!!
I have been married 4 times ...so far...!!! The question is, will I make it to 5.? We tied the knot in Las Vegas august '99..(lots of fun...LOL...) SHMBO and all of my family advise me it is about time I retired..! Seriously though we are very happy, I just have a very demented sense of humour..must have been my catholic upbringing..!! A photo ?.. I will try.. I have taken notice of the posts so far but have not tried to follow through.
SWMBO is the computer genius here- I'am just the house boy..!! I was going to put up a picture of my '70 falcon ute to show our american VMF'ers what they look like...good idea you think ?
Thank you for the invitation..........Larry

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The cheapest change would be to just put in new springs. It's about a half-day job. If you are undecided about the V8 swap, just do the springs. You can build a lot of power out of the 200 I6. And the 6 cyl. car is better balanced than the V8 car because the weight is more evenly distributed. So, if I were you, I'd do the springs and then build up the 6 a little bit. Induction, ignition, exhaust. Drop it an inch or two, add front and rear sway bars and it'll surprise you.

...modified '65 convertible...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts