Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at a '65 a code coupe with pony interior this week and he states that it is a true gt. It was hit in the front and the fenders, hood and other metals have been replaced.

Since the radiator sections was replaced, what other items needs to be checked to make sure it is a true GT? I thought that the exhaust needed something but can't remember what exactly.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Here's what I got after googlizing:

"The first Mustang GT was introduced in April of 1965. They were available in all three body styles. Two optional V-8 engines were offered with the GT with either 225 or 271 hp and a choice of a three- or four-speed manual, or a Cruise-O-Matic transmission. The '65 GT also included a special dashboard instrument cluster that became standard in 1966. The GT had stripes on the lower body sides, fog lamps in the grille, dual exhaust tips, and GT badges on the front fenders."

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Daniel
My 65 GT I picked up also had a few other sign.
The rear floor pans have a sheet metal plate in place for the dual exhuast hangers.
This is supposively the tell tale sigh between a true GT and a dealer GT.
Also the Dash panel and the glove box are similiar to the 66 but the GT has a different design. Refer to the many Mustang parts catalogs for a better look.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Take some pics and post them. Now I dunno much about coupes but the fastbacks lower rear seat pops right out without tools. Kinda backing up Blistic on the rear floor pan, if you can pop the seat out and look you "sould" see a re-inforcement plate welded to where the pan makes the 90 ish degree angle over the rear end hump, one on each side. I have heard that the Dealer GT's might not have these. Either way a dealer GT with documentation is still a GT. Water starts to get alittle muddy...Good luck

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
"I have heard that the Dealer GT's might not have these." They don't have them.

"Either way a dealer GT with documentation is still a GT." Depends on your definition of "GT". :) Most people I know personally would say it isn't a GT unless it was made that way at the factory.

JMO

John Harvey

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
For the record I agree with John.
Kinda like the dealership installing scoops and stripes on 05-07 cars. This just makes the car a dealer optioned special.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Charles Turner told me that only factory GTs with "A" codes will have the dual exhaust hanger supports. Factory Non-GT "A" codes DO NOT have dual exhaust & will not have the hanger supports. Charles said he has judged many factory GTs & this holds true.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
whoa whoa whoa whoa.....

my 65 A code fastback has the dip in the dash where the speedometer goes, it also has the hanger for the dual exhaust...

of course it has disc brakes on the front, blah blah blah, but i never considered it to be a GT. the car was hit in the front at some point, so the radiator support may have been replaced...
also, where the fog light switch should be, somebody installed an alarm system at some point and there was a button there for that, when i bought the car....

so NOW, how do i know if my car is factory GT???

more clearly.... how can you tell the difference between:
-a factory dual exhaust, disc brake, A code car
-and a factory GT????

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I will repeat myself -- only factory GTs w/ "A" code came with dual exhaust. A factory NON-GT "A" code will have single exhaust. Also, check the fog light hole in dash -- should be "D" shaped, not a round hole.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
True , but a customer could *order* a NON-GT "A" code with the factory dual exhaust option checked.

Likewise you could get a "pony" interior in 65 and get a 5 dial instrument cluster without ordering the GT package as well.

The same goes for disc brakes.

All of those items were available separately.

The only *absolutely* definitive proof of a 65/66 factory GT is the build sheet, or if your car is from a factory that installed them a buck tag (I know San Jose did not install them).

That said, if somebody reconstructs a GT with *all* of the correct pieces there isn't a judge in the world that could tell.

P.S. there are probably *more* 65/66 "GT cars" today than Ford ever built! (Or at least as a percentage of surviving cars there are way more.)

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
my point exactly.
this is why my car will remain a non-GT...
even though it's got some of the "sypmtoms"
...because the last thing in the world i want to do is make ANOTHER GT clone.

hahaha

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The "digital exam" of the rear crossmember for the bracket that keeps the frame from being smooshed by overtightening the two bolts that hold the GT exhaust braclet oon each side. A finger exam will reveal the support brace and everyone have ever felt had a 5/16"(I believe) hole, for whatever reason don't know. Have had two, a 65 and a 66 and they both had that. Both also had the reinforcement plates that were shaped to fit flush to the panel behind seat.

An article in MMonthly several years ago stated that the above mentioned dual exhaust things did not denote a true GT but all true GT's have them.

Chas. Turner makes mention of a rear spring shackle being different.

The 65 wiring had been cut and recut for radios an alarm, etc. It was so bad that I replaced all the wiring from a 66 donor. So the lites and the rallypac(same one in each car) plugged right in.!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
JSHarvey said:
True , but a customer could *order* a NON-GT "A" code with the factory dual exhaust option checked.

John Harvey
I claim to not know it all, but I've never heard of being able to order dual exhaust w/ a NON-GT "A" code. I'd like to see proof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts