Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son who is 24, is wanting to move down to the Phoenix area this summer and is looking for any good leads on jobs. He graduated from the University of Hawaii with his business degree, but is having a hard time finding a good job in the Portland, OR area. Housing is also to expensive in the Portland area.

He is looking for any leads for a job down there that could utilize his degree, or something that he could work up the ladder in.

He is smart kid! Any leads would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Sorry to say this, but the Phoenix area flat out sucks for jobs and living expenses.
Housing is NOT cheap. Jobs are pretty scarce and have hundreds or even thousands of people applying.
And did I mention the heat?
Traffic sucks too.
There are like 3 major universities and many smaller type schools putting out tons of new grads every year.

If he really wants to move here he needs to start doing a job search, Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com is probably the best. along with CL. Just to get an idea of what is here. And do searches on cost of living for here.

Russ

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think getting with a company that has a lot of locations, like a Home Depot or Lowes would be a good place to start, if he doesn't mind the retail business. Those places hire assistant managers in the mid 40's and up. They are eligible for bonus and have tons of opportunities for advancement. There are so many stores that you can bounce around from store to store when you get a promotion and not have to move.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Don't rule out Boise, ID. I bet he could find a decent job here and housing costs aren't horrible.

LJ

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly, the Phoenix area is better for cost of living and jobs than the Portland area. Housing cost is huge.

Cost of Living Comparison: compare Portland, Oregon to Phoenix, Arizona

He has worked at both Homedepo and Low's. He liked Low's much better. Not a huge fan of retail. He liked Marketing or business annalist. He has a lead from a friend for a company that his dad owns. He just wants to get down there and can look for a better job with time.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Use something like this to help. Scary to think about what i would do if i had to start again. My kids are in the same place!

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-cities-to-start-a-career/3626/

btw, #2 and #3 were on my list without even reading this as i have been to both Austin and Denver and both are experiencing crazy growth for different reasons. Austin has become a Technology hub and the legalization of Marijuana has made Denver a destination for people who need pain relief and other reasons bringing in lots of growth.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will pass on the information on the Old Castle. He is moved down there as of two days ago. He is looking hard now.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If you know PHX I can guarantee you they're scary as hell at that price.

Even in MI and IA where cost of living is about 5% below the national average, a $450 apartment is going to be a POS and/or in the ghetto. Just ask me how I know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He and a friend of ours got a nice two bed two bath apartment for $1,000 a month. It has two workout rooms, three pools and serves breakfast M-F for free. We drove his stuff down there and looked at it with him and it's very nice! A place like that would be $1700-$2000 in Portland.

There are three very good job's he is looking at. He should know more this next week.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
He and a friend of ours got a nice two bed two bath apartment for $1,000 a month. It has two workout rooms, three pools and serves breakfast M-F for free. We drove his stuff down there and looked at it with him and it's very nice! A place like that would be $1700-$2000 in Portland.

There are three very good job's he is looking at. He should know more this next week.

It does sound nice. But that's still more than my mortgage payment for my 11 acre acreage!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
You guys do not even want to start into what taxes cost around here!!! Your mortgages and rent do not even cover the 16K annual tax bill! Its tough for the not so young as well depending on where you live!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys do not even want to start into what taxes cost around here!!! Your mortgages and rent do not even cover the 16K annual tax bill! Its tough for the not so young as well depending on where you live!
That's just crazy. Many of the Californians are moving up here for that reason alone. It's just pushing housing costs up here, but I can't blame them for wanting out of California with the cost of living down there!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well after three weeks of living in Phoenix, my son got only one response from all of his applications (around 40 different applications). It was a guy who does recruiting for larger companies. He submitted my son's application to American Express for the fraud department. This seemed like a long shot, but he got a reply back. He had to go in and do a 3 hour test looking at people's finances, and then write up a paper on each situation. He didn't think it went well, but it must have gone better than he had expected, because they called him and 15 other people back for another interview. He was one of two people there who DID NOT have a law degree, so he was thinking this was the end of the line. At about 7 this morning they called him and offered him a job! It will be a temp position for 6 months and he gets paid $25 an hour.

He is pretty dang excited!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well after three weeks of living in Phoenix, my son got only one response from all of his applications (around 40 different applications). It was a guy who does recruiting for larger companies. He submitted my son's application to American Express for the fraud department. This seemed like a long shot, but he got a reply back. He had to go in and do a 3 hour test looking at people's finances, and then write up a paper on each situation. He didn't think it went well, but it must have gone better than he had expected, because they called him and 15 other people back for another interview. He was one of two people there who DID NOT have a law degree, so he was thinking this was the end of the line. At about 7 this morning they called him and offered him a job! It will be a temp position for 6 months and he gets paid $25 an hour.

He is pretty dang excited!
CONGRATS to him!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts