Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as though my 65 coupe wants to drift and float around the road while driving. I re-built the front suspension while I had the engine out last winter. Now I'm wishing I had replaced the steering components at that time also. It is manual steering so my question is: Would you recomend that I replace the steering components or just the bushings/ball joints. If you say to replace the steering components what components exactly and how hard is it to do with the engine in place? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
check for too much free play in the steering box. Move the steering wheel back and forth while someone checks the steering linkage for movement. There should be only an inch or so of steering wheel movement before the linkage starts to move. You can try to tighten the adjuster on the top of the box to reduce the amount of free play.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is there noticable play in the steering wheel? It sounds like the steering box needs to be rebuilt. Take a look at Stanger's site before you attempt to adjust it.

http://www.stangerssite.com/steering_box.html

I sent mine to him last week and got it back yesterday. I've got to say, it looks excellent and the price was right too!

Gerald

·
Registered
781 Posts
My 73 had the same problem. I replaced all of my tie-rod ends(inner and outer), pitman arm, and idler arm. No more play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts