Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just crawled under my Mustang this morning to change the oil and I thought I'd try to find the clunking I have been hearing while going over speed bumps. Turns out the big nuts holding the strut rod to the front of the frame rail are loose! I remember rapping on those things with an impact gun when I put them on, so maybe they just compressed a little then the nut was able to wiggle loose, I don't know.

How tight should I tighten those nuts? 60ft/lbs? 80ft/lbs? More?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Use some locktite type grease on the threading to avoid the nut backing off......do slightly snug until the bushing is slightly loaded.

Saw you down town yesterday, car sounds good too

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I just installed my strut rods yesterday. You have just a bit over one inch of thread on the ends. You normally bottom the thread out, if I'm not mistaken. Use a locking nut also. I reefed on mine to get them tight, so you probably can't overtighten them. Good thing it didn't come loose and mess up the lower control arm.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I figured out why it came loose, the threads are all buggered up, otherwise known as being stripped.

I am taking the car on a trip this weekend, so there is no way I will be able to get parts in soon enough. The nut tightens some, it compresses the rubber down enough, but then it reaches the part where the threads are all messed up and won't tighten further. So I welded it put /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. It will be fine for now, but I just need to get new strut rods now.

I will have to start conjuring up ideas on how to make ones with rod ends. I will have all weekend to think about it, especially when I am not catching any fish.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you see me? Does my Mustang seem loud to you? I personally think it is fairly quiet for a muscle car, especially compared to some of the things driving around our town. But what do you think? I have never heard somebody else driving it around town or driving by me, I have always been in it. I am curious if it attracts looks by the sound or not.

G

·
For no explainable reason, my pass side lower control arm came loose at the frame side. It had been 9 months since and alignment and I had driven it every day. Could not figure out what the weird problem was. Put it up in the air and the damn thing could be moved by hand!

G

·
Im not sure whether the 67 is the same as 65/66, but the torque specs for these years is 40 - 55 ft/lbs. Atleast you found it before it totally backed of and possibly caused some damage.

SCOTT
65CONV, C-CODE, T10, 4BBL
ITS ALMOST DRIVEABLE, WOOO-HOOOO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts