Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done installing my del-alum shackle kit in my car rear leaf springs and thought I would post some tips for those wanting to tackle the job.

It is entirely possible to do without a hydraulic/pneumatic press.

What we did was used a screw driver and a chisel to split apart the eyes just far enough to get the alum bushing lined up then flipped it over and put it on top of a piece of wood and hit the spring down over the bushing.

This pushed it in far enough and we made sure it was lined up.

Next we used a big strong bolt and nut and used the strut rod washers (big f'ers and thick) and pulled the bushing the rest of the way into the spring by tightening the nut on the bolt.

Its a 2-man job but one guy just needs to hold a wrench while the other tightens the nut (with a big break bar).

Doesn't take long and can get frustrating at times but is possible.

just be extremely careful using the hammer and don't hammer it without expanding the eyes of the springs.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just be sure to use grade 8 bolts and nuts. Any old nut and bolt you find laying around will most likely strip the thread or break.

Southern Engineering at its best!

·
I won a special award
7,411 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have a set that I'll be installing soon.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no problem, just fyi those washers were only used on the rear eyes, the fronts go in a lot easier (bigger eye - easier to separate).

will take some pictures of my 'rig' when i finish the last rear eye.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts