Vintage Mustang Forums banner

My trip to the collector car showroom.

1K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  gordon 
#1 ·
I went to the local wwwaaaayyy overpriced vintage dealer (Fraser-Dante) this morning to see if I could get them to participate in our charity golf tournament with a Hole-in-one car (you buy insurance and if someone gets a hole-in-one, the insurance pays for a car.) I was hoping for a Shelby or even a Kit Cobra would have been cool. The more$$$'s the car, the higher the premium.

Well, bleached blondie-about 60, showing way to much cleavage proceeded to tell me that there is no way they could do that so but that they would be happy to sell us one so we could raffle it off. I said "might as well look at some cars while I'm here." So, 67 GT500-$108k, 70gt350 $49k, 69 Mach 1 $44k, a couple of Vettes, and a some others, she said the specialize in Mustangs but hmm, not a one in sight cept the ones above. I never let on that I know anything about cars-sort of true-so she starts telling me about the Mustang market Quote: "Nice driver coupes go for about $18k, verts in the high 20's." Wow, I said. I guess I should kept my 68 vert that your husband offered me $7500 for about 6 monts ago, but I sold myself for $15K.

What a racket.

J. Boggs

#3 ·
69 Mach 1 $44k
Two weeks ago at Hot August Nights in Reno, I'm hangin' out by SacBill's '68 coupe. A '70 Mach I pulls in a couple spaces down with the exact paint scheme that I want to do on my sportsroof, so I start walking over to it to get some pictures. The owner, sticks a For Sale sign in the windshield as he gets out of the car. A guy walking past asks, "how much are you asking?" The owner just "matter of factly" states "45 thousand". The other guy just kept walking without saying a word. It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud. it was a nice car, but with a 351w, there's no way it was worth half that.

#4 ·
With the way prices are going, you can't pay too much, you can just pay it too soon. ::

#6 ·
So, are they actually selling cars for those prices?

I bet they get a lot of traffic with people that don't know what they should be paying, having lots of disposable income and pay close to the prices they are asking. This in turn inflates normal "prices/values"

just my 2.5 cents

#7 ·
I bet they get a lot of traffic with people that don't know what they should be paying, having lots of disposable income and pay close to the prices they are asking. This in turn inflates normal "prices/values"

I'm confident you're very right.......yuppie morons who want to try to live the GISS thing.

#9 ·
I've been there a few times as I used to live not too far from there. One time I went in there and they had a nice 72 454 Vette convertible in steel cities gray and I asked him about it. I got a big old line about the car and how original it was and where it came from. Funny thing was it was MY old car that I owed for years, bought from the original owner, restored myself and used to show. So I think I know a little about that car. About 40% of what they told me was true.

#10 ·
I see them on the collector car trader all the time and their prices do seem way out of whack. How long have they been in business and do they really sell many cars at the prices they are asking? Anyone know? Just curious.

#11 ·
We have a shop here in southwest Denver that tries to do that sort of thing, sales and service-wise.

#13 ·
It's smarter to start with an outrageous price and come down, if nec, then start low and try to move up! You never know, if you throw your hook in the water with no bait, you may catch a sucker (fish)! :: Frazer, Volo Museum?,KAR, and others do just that. At the end of the day, they apparently have caught a sucker or two. :: If you throw enough **** on the wall, some is bound to stick! ::

Am reminded of the guy who came into the Ford Dealer (true!) and saw a loaded LTD. Looking at the factory sticker on the window, he asked if that was the price. Salesman said yes, and the guy said he'd take it. After that, they "stole" his trade in, put him on the highest interest chart, sold him credit life, A&H insurance, undercoat and all the extras, and the man left, probably happy-for the moment! The salesman got an additional bonus for getting a "Grand Slam" He took all the tricks in that hand!

All in a day's work! Frazer, KAR, Volo, and others, write good ads painting a picture of that car as they write. Have been reading their ads in Hemmings, Trader, etc., for years. Would imagine that Frazer and KAR start with decent mdse that merit a story. Believe they call it mdsing. :)

Ebay is the new kid on the block and it is the place. Every now and then, a "sucker" puts his car on too low and the savvy buyer sets his hook and reels it in! Most of the time, it's the other way around! :: ::

#14 ·
There's a place here in Houston called "Forristall's" that has been doing the same thing for years.

There are people out there with plenty of $$$ who want a classic car and want to just go into a store and pick one out (just like they were buying a TV or a laptop). The "dealers" like Volo cater to these people. You bet that they sell cars for what you and I would consider to be inflated prices. The customer is paying for convenience (if you want to call it that.

#17 ·
Hey - that GT 500 was on ebay a couple weeks ago with a buy-it-now of $8,750 from some guy in nigeria who just lost his brother in a high speed bicycle accident. The auction ended early with an 'Invalid Item' message. Fraser must have acted quickly to snap that one up. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.