Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the longest time i have always had one lifter that clicks and taps , and if i was to go on the freeway for a long time , and then get off it would make the car run rough and everything else. we put so many adjustments on it , all to no avail. the motor has always had oil pressure. around 25psi at my 700 rpm idle, and 40+ or so when cruising .

so i decided to pick up a new set of lifters as a last resort. we installed them the other day, everything went well. and all my old lifters looked very good. there was no unusual wear of any kind, things overall looked great. however after installing the new set the clicking is STILL there, and now its actually worse . before it actually wasnt bad in normal driving and was oNLY a problem if i had to go on the freeway so i just avoided it. but now its so bad i can hardly stand driving the car its very annoying. its coming from cylinder number one. its the very front valve. we have put numerous adjustments on it. trying 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn. you name it , we have tried it. we even put a new push rod in just for the hell of it. the mother still clacks. at this point i am so frustrated, and my dad is too. we cant seem to figure out what the problem might be. is it possible the new lifter is no good?

i placed a straight edge across my studs, it all lined up, nothing seems to be pulling out. all the rockers look like they are getting oil, the motor has oil pressure. i figured the new lifters might cure whatever thew problem is.

what do you guys think it could be? we are at a bit of a loss right now until i can find some time to take it into my dads shop and take maybe a more in depth look into it.

any help would be appreciated. bc this is driving me nuts !!

PS, i know little or nothing about oil galley plugs. but if one were to have fallen out, could this cause some kind of oil starvation to that lifter(s) etc ?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
sounds like you need to pull the head and check the valve seal and/or springs on the #1 exhaust. Only other thing that it could be that would save you from pulling the head is maybe check the pushrod alignment, if you have guideplates make sure its aligned so the rocker arm is over the center of the valve head.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I second checking the valve spring. However, you don't have to pull the head to remove the spring. You can use an air adapter to keep the valve closed and a simple bar type retainer remover to release the keepers. This is provided you have or can borrow a decent air compressor.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You can always use the old "rope trick" if you need to remove a spring and don't have a compressed air setup.

I'll explain if need be. ;)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, when i take it in today to the shop we will check that out .

i just think its weird bc #1 never made any noises before or had any trouble. it was always 3 or 4. since the new lifters were installed 3 and 4 are now quiet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts