Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up in the Delaware area, and stopped in to see DodgeStang. He has the 65 with the 351C in it, and he's fixed it up real nice. It's a beautiful car, but it still don't run. He's had all sorts of problems, all due to a PO. The issue now is that it won't crank over beyond one or two turns, even with a jumpered battery. I believe the connection to the starter is corroded, and he's missing the engine-to-firewall grounding strap. Unfortunately, he has nasty headers on it, so removing the starter to replace it is no easy task!

He also doesn't have the battery negative cable attached to the block in the right place, as there appears to be a plug bolt instead of a hex-head there. Very strange indeed. I did learn something new: the cleveland rotates backwards relative to "normal" engines. I never knew that!

Anyway, we had a grand time bullshitting, and troubleshooting. He has a great house waaay out in the country, and I'm very envious. I just wished I could have helped him out a bit more...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Midlife,
Can you please explain what you mean by:
"I did learn something new: the cleveland rotates backwards relative to "normal" engines. I never knew that!"
This sounds very suspect. The only gasoline engines that I have heard that rotate "backwards" are for boats. And they have required special crankshafts. If all clevelands rotated in the opposite direction, then they would require unique transmissions and rear axles...
Please clarify? Or are you soothing us with sarcasm?

Glenn

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's either the dizzy rotation, or the fan rotation. IIRC, 289's rotate CCW when looking front to back. The Cleveland rotates CW. Is my memory bad?

Edited: We consulted a Haynes manual, and it said the dizzy rotates CW on the 351's, and CCW on all other V8's. I must have the engine rotation backwards. You're right: it would require different tranny's or rear ends!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks, you had me going there for a minute. I could see the distributor rotation changing. Learn something new everyday.

Glenn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts