Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Don't know if any of you guys or gals have ever thought about selling one of your prized possessions, but I thought about selling my all original K code to pay down some bills. It's not like I need to but I hate bills.

I brought it up to my wife and she told me NO! It wasn't even an option to her. I guess I will have to keep the car, but I was surprised that she felt that way. She does know I love the car even if I'm not driving it yet.

I have to think I'm very fortunate to have a wife like her:)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Same thing here, funny thing is when the subject came up the car looked like my avatar (minus the new trunk floor). I was ready to give up on it, and part it out. Glad I married her :p Right now I'm waiting for it to come back from paint.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I wouldn't even bring up selling my (our) Mustang! It's like a member of our family!
I had the Mustang when we met, it was our honeymoon car. I have often joked with her
"was it me or my Mustang...". It's great to have a wife who's as enthused about my
hobby as I am!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I know the feeling. I am divorced and remarried. My first wife sold my 69 coupe with a 428 in it for $750 when I went active in the Army in 1983. I came home from Ranger school to find it GONE! She said we needed to pay some bills. (She'd shopped too much) I had more then that in the tires alone!

Fast forward 24 years. The new SWMBO has listened to me for years about "My Mustang" and when I saw the one I own now, she asked me to take it for a test drive. When we got back from the ride, I was in love, but felt it was a "Want", not a "Need". I've always taught the kids to handle the Needs, and seldom do the wants.

Well, she pulled out the checkbook, and said I could negotiate, or she would, but I was buying the car! I insisted that I didn't need it, but she insisted... (did mention I love this wife??) and we bought it. On the way home, I kept asking if she wanted to drive, but she said no, that cars were my thing, not hers, and seemed kinda aloof about the car.

Since then, I've offered her a few rides, and she usually accepts, referring to the car as "The 'Stang" Over the past few weeks, I fell prey to the "While I'm at it" bug, and have ripped out the dash, steering column, and will be pulling the engine and rear diff soon. She came in the other night, looking very upset, so I asked what was wrong. She said "Why didn't you tell me you were going to take the car apart? How long before we can go for a ride again?" and when I told her it would probably be next summer in my most optomistic tone, she told me that that stunk, and I better get out there and get busy, as I had better have it ready for spring cruising!

I think we've got a convert!

·
Registered
524 Posts
To Dave72,

Man, obviously she wasn't TOO aloof about it! ;-)
She must really like those "few" rides. Maybe she was really wanting MORE rides all along

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I was going to sell my Mach 1 for the same reason and my wife talked me out of it also. She said we could always sell it later and get more for it, and that the bills are getting paid. She's GREAT!

·
Registered
915 Posts
My wife would say no also, Only because It has to be replaced and that might not be in the same price range. :lol:

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's nice to hear that there are other wifes like mine out there. The car would be very hard to replace and the wife even harder. I agree she is a keeper. We just celebrated out twentieth last month:)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Congrads on 20! I know I just got married- this July. She always wanted a '05 or newer Vista blue GT. Dealer called just traded in 3300 mile 06- sold in October of 05. Car has 4800 miles now and is two years old! She loves my old one too and says hunny whatever it takes to fix it- Its your baby-take care of it. I paused right then teared up and hugged her and said thank you. Not very often just starting will your wife allow you to spend money for a "hobby". Looks like the Mustang community is going to be known for picking out the best women!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Stevea said:
I brought it up to my wife and she told me NO!
Yep, I brought the same thing up to my wife not too long ago, with the same result. Can't beat a wife like that!

·
Registered
382 Posts
i'm humbled now, lol. i'm graduating high school this year XD

·
Banned
647 Posts
You guys are lucky. We flew to Colorado and picked my car up and drove it home. It was hot and the AC was not working so the windows stayed down the whole 1300 mile trip home. My wife and daughter were not impressed by the time we got back to Houston. In fact my daugther told her mom not to park her truck too close to my car for fear that the truck would start running badly and leave us on the side of the road. She did not understand that when the gas sending unit was bad you have to guess at your level in your tank. I had a gas can with me but I had to stop to refill the tank. To my spoiled 7 year old this was the end of the world. She had never been on the side of the road and she had never been in a car without AC. So now I have a new sending unit and the AC is working so she does not like the car because it does not have front speakers yet. Oh well at least my wife does not hate it.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
Mine threatened me with a very unfortunate end if I ever sold my '71.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Four years ago I told my wife someone is coming to look at buying my 65 2+2. I haden't been enjoying my cars for awhile and thought of selling it to pay some bills. She informed me "THAT car is not for sale. It was the car you were driving the day we meet and will belong to our son some day." Since then I have fixed afew things that were wroung with the car and have been enjoying it ever since. Now that the value of my 66 is more than the pay-off of my house, I don't talk about selling anything.

Larry

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Congratulations on your 20th anniversry last month. We celebrated our 28th
last month, 29 years for my/our Mustang!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Want to trade???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts