Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am totally new to the Mustang world. I bought my wife the 65 Mustang she has wanted for a long time. 50th anniversary coming up in 6 months.

It is a C code car with several upgrades done by the fellow we bought it from. He owned it for 15 years and gave us a 3 ring binder with all the invoices of the upgrades.

I hope you all don't mind me asking questions to answers I couldn't find in the searches. She wants different wheels already because she saw a few she liked at this weekend's car show. Also, I had a fellow tell me that there are supposed to be quarter panel ornaments on this car. I told him I was fairly sure this is a fairly stock Mustang. I have noticed that some have them and some don't. Anyway glad to be here and hope to learn how to maintain the car.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

· Dimples
7,816 Posts
Howdy and welcome! I’d love to know the color. Twilight Turquoise (my favorite) or Guardsman Blue?

On the quarter panel ornaments, they were deleted if the car was a GT or had a Tiffany Stripe, a small (1/8th in?) pinstripe around the C-shaped body line.

I would consider the ornament delete as a very desirable option. I keep welding up those holes, lol.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
If you change the wheels, hang onto those wheels and hubcaps. Very cool. Stick em in the atic or something. May not have the hot rod vibe but ...... most you see have replacement wheels..

· Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Howdy and welcome! I’d love to know the color. Twilight Turquoise (my favorite) or Guardsman Blue?

On the quarter panel ornaments, they were deleted if the car was a GT or had a Tiffany Stripe, a small (1/8th in?) pinstripe around the C-shaped body line.

I would consider the ornament delete as a very desirable option. I keep welding up those holes, lol.
I am wondering if it had the pinstripe. The car was repainted in 1995 and the pinstripe may have been left off. It is a Texas car that has lived its whole life here. The door plate shows it to be 5 for Color which is Twilight Turquoise. I am not going install the panel ornaments. Just another place for moisture and dirt to get behind. The wife loves the color and likes the stock look even though under the hood is not stock and neither is the front suspension.

· Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you change the wheels, hang onto those wheels and hubcaps. Very cool. Stick em in the atic or something. May not have the hot rod vibe but ...... most you see have replacement wheels..
I plan to keep the wheels and hub caps in storage. The previous owner had all the original parts he took off to do upgrades. I have a Conex to keep the parts that will not deteriorate with heat.

· Premium Member
10,549 Posts
I love the way the car looks as-is, but Styled Steel wheels are a winner. Welcome to VMF !!

Reactions: Crew Chief

· Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
1,681 Posts
Welcome, very nice car and the wife looks very happy!

· Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,040 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. Car is a beauty. Would love to see more pictures of it.

· Super Moderator
8,613 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on making it to 50 years.

I kind of like the side ornaments and they are available if you want to add them at some point. I'm 20 years behind you in the marriage thing...but 20+ years past you in owning a '65 Mustang. As noted above, anything you take of that car that's original, it would be worth your while to hang onto it (like wheels).

As you do need parts for it, I've used various vendors over the years as one has gotten better or one has gone out of business...and in 2022 you won't find much better for your standard parts needs than NPD. National Parts Depot | Restoring American History | Mustang Parts | Camaro Parts | Chevelle Parts | Ford Truck Parts | T-Bird Parts | Firebird Parts | Chevy Truck Parts

Now...if you want to upgrade something...I might have different advice...but for replacement parts and such they typically have what you need and can get it out pretty quickly. In some cases they have various options, so call them or ask back here in those cases.

On the wheels for instance, you could just order 14X5 and be done with it...but many of us have gone with larger wheels. BEST thing to do would be to find a car that has the wheels you like and talk to the owner about what they are, what the specs are, and ESPECIALLY what tires (diameter and aspect ratio) and what he had to do to get them to fit.

Again...welcome.

Phil

· Registered
13,242 Posts
Very spiffy pony!

Since your wheels are 5-lug, your choices are infinite. As a data point, check out Legendary Wheel Company. I have their Magnum 500s on my Mach 1 and I really like them.

· Registered
2,832 Posts
She - both of them - look great. Welcome and congrats on both the 50 yrs and the car.
Don't be hesitate to ask questions. We love to give advice (and even love spending other people's money more so! Haha). We will give you as many options for solving your inquires as there are members of this forum. It's a great place.

Reactions: Crew Chief
1 - 20 of 46 Posts