Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
2,533 Posts
Congratulations. That looks like a quality car. A lot of people delete the side ornaments on '66s so I wouldn't stress. If you want them on there for a stock look I believe Scott Drake makes a stick-on version.

As for wheels, the wife needs to decide if she wants a more stock look or something more modern.

If going for a stockish look, you can't go wrong with styled steel wheels or magnum 500s. Both are available in multiple sizes. Just mind your backspacing or you might get tire rub.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Welcome and very nice looking ride. Styled Steel Wheels with dual red-lines would look great with that Tropical Turquoise color. As an example, my '66 - Tahoe Turquoise - with SSW and dual red-lines. Just one man's opinion.

John
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
1,542 Posts
I like the Styled wheels also. The wife is torn between the Styled wheel or the Torque Thrust II. It is her car so she can have what ever she wants on it.
And then comes the second question, what size wheels? The only thing my wife is decided on for her red '66 is the red line tires. 😋

·
Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,002 Posts
Yes, what size wheels and tires?

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I do not care for the polished TT II on a classic Mustang. Too much bling for me. The TT D is one of the all time classic wheels for a classic Mustang.
But it's her car and if she likes the TT II then.......
I showed her photos of different types of wheels and she settled on the Styled wheels.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Beautiful car and a great gift for your 50th. Now that you've decided on 15" styled wheels you need to find a tire that will match your driving. What temps will the car be driven in? What types of use - weekend cruiser only, exploring curvy roads, rain, road trips? That will help with tire suggestions for the wheels.

How about some pics under the hood and details? Engine/ trans, upgrades? What has been done to the suspension? We all get ideas from each other on what we'd like to do to our cars.

I don't see a location in your profile (if you float your mouse on the flag it will show you peoples locations if they are entered), this helps with things like tire suggestions, etc. as it will be different if you're in WA vs. FL. I'd also suggest adding the basics about your car (year/model/engine/trans) to your profile it will help immensely with future questions to be answered.

·
Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Beautiful car and a great gift for your 50th. Now that you've decided on 15" styled wheels you need to find a tire that will match your driving. What temps will the car be driven in? What types of use - weekend cruiser only, exploring curvy roads, rain, road trips? That will help with tire suggestions for the wheels.

How about some pics under the hood and details? Engine/ trans, upgrades? What has been done to the suspension? We all get ideas from each other on what we'd like to do to our cars.

I don't see a location in your profile (if you float your mouse on the flag it will show you peoples locations if they are entered), this helps with things like tire suggestions, etc. as it will be different if you're in WA vs. FL. I'd also suggest adding the basics about your car (year/model/engine/trans) to your profile it will help immensely with future questions to be answered.
We live near Turnersville, TX on a small ranch. This is about 50 miles northwest of Waco. Rural roads are pretty curvy and of course it is hot here during the summer months which is when most of the car shows are scheduled. It is an A/C car but the A/C was taken out by the previous owner. I plan to put a Vintage Air A/C unit in it early next year so the wife will not sweat. As you can see the engine area has had some upgrades. The 289 is stock and rebuilt in 1995. The interior is stock but as you can see it has a 5 speed manual Tremec installed. No floor modification made. It currently has 205/70/R14 tires with original stock wheels and hubcaps. The front end has coil overs with new tubular A arms and disc brakes. There are a lot of other subtle changes that are hard to see. One of the most significant is the electric power steering with a tilt steering wheel. The wife really likes that because she is 4' 10". It has seat extenders that I will have to take out when I get the new seat upholstery next week. Passenger side seat came apart at the seams.

We have invoices dating back to the original owner and the two previous owners before we bought it. It has been well taken care of from January 1965 to today. This is a Texas car that was bought in Houston. We have the original warranty card, window sticker and owner's manual.

Hope all this info helps in any advice you all may have.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Auto part
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am wondering if it had the pinstripe. The car was repainted in 1995 and the pinstripe may have been left off. It is a Texas car that has lived its whole life here. The door plate shows it to be 5 for Color which is Twilight Turquoise. I am not going install the panel ornaments. Just another place for moisture and dirt to get behind. The wife loves the color and likes the stock look even though under the hood is not stock and neither is the front suspension.
what month was your car made the vin tag on the door tells you what color, what motor, what trim, axle, and month of manufacture. 65 GT are more rare because GTwasn’t an option till about November of 65. As for the trim could of had oneand been removed for esthetic reasons(the trim does help keep rock chips off paint). As for rims I would do 14 or 15in a fatter tire looks better 7s all around as long as you are stock hight. I have 16in rims and 7s all around with 1 inch lowering springs but I have had a hell of a time keeping from my wheel wells scraping on tire. I have had to roll inner lip to accommodate still not a perfect solution. With 15s you will have much better clearance 14 even better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I am totally new to the Mustang world. I bought my wife the 65 Mustang she has wanted for a long time. 50th anniversary coming up in 6 months.

It is a C code car with several upgrades done by the fellow we bought it from. He owned it for 15 years and gave us a 3 ring binder with all the invoices of the upgrades.

I hope you all don't mind me asking questions to answers I couldn't find in the searches. She wants different wheels already because she saw a few she liked at this weekend's car show. Also, I had a fellow tell me that there are supposed to be quarter panel ornaments on this car. I told him I was fairly sure this is a fairly stock Mustang. I have noticed that some have them and some don't. Anyway glad to be here and hope to learn how to maintain the car.
View attachment 860339
Seeing as how you have the "hub caps" or wheel covers still on the car, I'm guessing you still have 14 inch tires. Personally, I think the absolute best looking wheels ever offered for the early Mustangs are the styled steel wheels. Go to a Mustang supply house like CJ Pony or NPD. I just looked on CJ Pony and searched "styled steel wheels" and you get a variety of different sizes. To avoid clearance or tire-rubbing problems, I would suggest staying with the 14 inch wheels, but lean towards the 6 inch width. CJ Pony has a wheel "kit" that gets you four Scott Drake styled steel wheels (exact reproductions, but better), lug nuts, center caps and tires all for about $800. You can't beat that with a stick.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Fastback 289-2V, 3-Speed M/T
648 Posts
I have always liked the styled wheels myself. I went with 14's only because a local person was selling them NIB for a very reasonable price. I can't argue that Torque Thrust would not look good as well. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I see all different pictures of other's cars on here, so I empathize with your dilemma. Decisions...Decisions.

Anyway...here's some eye candy for you. Good luck and post some pics when you get the new wheels and tires on the car!

Before
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

After
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

21 - 40 of 46 Posts