Vintage Mustang Forums banner

My wife's 65 Mustang.

2066 45
Hi,
I am totally new to the Mustang world. I bought my wife the 65 Mustang she has wanted for a long time. 50th anniversary coming up in 6 months.

It is a C code car with several upgrades done by the fellow we bought it from. He owned it for 15 years and gave us a 3 ring binder with all the invoices of the upgrades.

I hope you all don't mind me asking questions to answers I couldn't find in the searches. She wants different wheels already because she saw a few she liked at this weekend's car show. Also, I had a fellow tell me that there are supposed to be quarter panel ornaments on this car. I told him I was fairly sure this is a fairly stock Mustang. I have noticed that some have them and some don't. Anyway glad to be here and hope to learn how to maintain the car.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's what one (very famous) person thought about "hub caps" on his cars. At a point in time when the details of the 1967 Shelby Mustangs were being finalized, Carroll Shelby was in Europe. Some bean counter back at Shelby American in Los Angeles thought it would be a great idea to offer hub caps on the cars that carried Shelby's name. When Carroll returned from Europe and learned of this development, he found the employee responsible for that decision and fired him on the spot. Of course, as irony would have it, the following year Shelby Mustang production was moved from Los Angeles to the A.O. Smith plant in Michigan, and ALL the 1968 Shelbys came off the line with hub caps. Ford was running the show at that point, and Carroll had little say in what was offered on "his" cars.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have always liked the styled wheels myself. I went with 14's only because a local person was selling them NIB for a very reasonable price. I can't argue that Torque Thrust would not look good as well. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I see all different pictures of other's cars on here, so I empathize with your dilemma. Decisions...Decisions.

Anyway...here's some eye candy for you. Good luck and post some pics when you get the new wheels and tires on the car!

Before
View attachment 860931

After
View attachment 860932
Very nice! I have TT II's on my Wimbledon White 65fb and I really don't like the polished aluminum with the white. Hoping to be back on the road next season and looking for a set of Legendary wheel LW-70's

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Rim

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Kind of reminiscent of the Shelby 5 spokes, I liked the Cragar Eliminator 500's but they've been discontinued for years. Nice thing is the TT II's are very popular so I won't be stuck with them :geek: kip

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
what month was your car made the vin tag on the door tells you what color, what motor, what trim, axle, and month of manufacture. 65 GT are more rare because GTwasn’t an option till about November of 65. As for the trim could of had oneand been removed for esthetic reasons(the trim does help keep rock chips off paint). As for rims I would do 14 or 15in a fatter tire looks better 7s all around as long as you are stock hight. I have 16in rims and 7s all around with 1 inch lowering springs but I have had a hell of a time keeping from my wheel wells scraping on tire. I have had to roll inner lip to accommodate still not a perfect solution. With 15s you will have much better clearance 14 even better.
The car was built December 65. It is the right color according to the trim code.

·
Premium Member
10,501 Posts
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

I found a set of five 1966 originals in 14", spent a while restoring the charcoal argent inserts, polishing the chrome wheel and stainless rings, new center caps and correct lug nuts from NPD. LOVE 'em.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts