Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post up my build story here. I'm sure I'll plenty of questions to ask as I go.

I guess this story began about 3 years ago.... My wife and I were going to an afternoon matinee at our local movie theater and there in the parking lot sat a old Mustang for sale. We got the number and went watch the movie. After the show we looked at it again and left. On the way home we talked about the car and decided to call about it. I put the paper with the number in my console of my truck and promptly forgot about it.

4 or 5 days later my wife asked me if I'd called.
. Oops. Sorry babe. I went got the number and called right then. The guy who answered told me, "sorry but it's sold." Dang! Well so much for that I told her. A few days later we went to a friends house for dinner and there it was parked in their driveway. Come to find out the wife had bought it! Let's just say I heard it that night. Every time my wife saw her driving that car I heard it again.

Fast forward a year and the couple is going through a divorce and we see the car parked at her Mom's house. A few months later and it's still parked there. I saw her husband at his job and asked him about it. He told me something was wrong with it and she couldn't get it fixed. I asked him what was wrong and he didn't know. I asked if she wanted to sell, he didn't know so I called her. Well it just so happen she was. So I made a offer and she accepted. That's how I came to be the owner of this beautiful piece of Machinery.

Here it is in her moms driveway.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after I bought it I figured I better get it running. It turned over so the battery and starter where good. The engine was the original I6 and all the fluids where good. Pull the distributor cap and what do you think I saw.... Points! Unbelievable. I ordered a Petronics kit installed it and Vrooom!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I drove it home send handed my wife the keys.
To say she was happy was an understatement.

Then she started driving it. My wife is 40 years old and has never driven an original classic car. It didn't take many drives before it started sitting in the garage. I noticed she wasn't driving it much and added her what was wrong? She started on the list. Brakes suck. The three speed transmission was weird, the AC was broken and it was gutless! No power at all. She is used to driving a modern luxury car lol. To be honest I expected this from the beginning. So I started driving the car some and found if to be a blast. It felt like I was driving a go cart. It got attention everywhere I went. It was really really fun.
. But...... I started reading up on '66 Mustangs and decided I wanted to change things up some. My original plans was to hop up the original engine, add a T5 take card of some of the rust sneaking through the paint and drive it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a Weber carb, performance ignition and SS headers from Classic Inlines. Installed all that along with an electric fuel pump and 40 series mufflers out the back. The power went way up and the rear end and tranny became my bottled neck. So next on my plan was upgrade to a T5 tranny. I also thought about installing disc brakes and converting to 5 lugs. The cost of things I wanted to do started to add up..... Awww heck. I just decided to do it all. I sold the engine and tranny to an employee and drug the car to Fisher Collision in Gonzales Louisiana.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to make this understood upfront. As you can tell by my user ID I work in the oil industry. It so happens I work in Africa which requires me to spend lots of time away from home. I love to spend time with my family and hunt and fish. The car is something I enjoy researching about, dreamin, planing for, shopping for, owning and driving. My fabrication skills are ok but would limit the quality of what can turn out. A mans got to know his limitations. I know I could eventually get the car where I want it but at what cost? My time at home is to valuable to me to spend it in the shop building this car. I hope that does not lower my stock amoungst the other members but that's just how it is. My plans might go against the grain for many Mustang purists but to be honest the only person I have to please is myself. It is my car and my money after all. That said I'll continue to share my build!

Corey and the guys tore the car down some to see what was what....

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of the things we found lurking under the skin concerned me. After all the car is 50 years old and I am building this car to last. In order to find all of the hidden problems we decided to send it off for soda blasting.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the car back from soda blasting and found lots of old body work along with rot. The car had been hit in the rear and the drivers side door in the past.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Corey and crew found the frame to be bent from the rear hit. They put it on the frame straightener and fixed it up. If you look closely at the pictures you can see the frame pull backwards about 1.5''. This will go along way towards the panels matching up. Due to the damage on every panel I decided to just replace all of the bad sheet metal with new. I ordered every panel and both doors. I'm thinking about a Fiberglass hood with a 67 Shelby scoop.

Before the straightening the frame none of the rear Qtr panels fit right after the straightening they just fell in place like they should. I hear lots of times people talking about poor fit of aftermarket panels maybe the problem isn't so much the panels as the condition of the frame? These cars go through a lot in 50 years. It's difficult to imagine they are anywhere near the specs they where when new.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the dirty ugly work is now behind us. This is where it really starts to get fun for me. I want my car to be fun to drive, comfortable, turn heads and really perform. Something that I really like is fat tires on classic Mustangs. I mean really fat tires. 315's fat. That's difficult to do and I've rarely seen it on them so that's a priority for me. I don't like to see fat back tires overwhelm the fronts so the fronts will also be wide. I'm going with a 4 link suspension on the rear with shock waves and a TCI MII on the front with Wilwood brakes and Shockwaves. For the engine I've changed my mind a few times. Originally I was going with a 5.0 out of an 96 Explorer I bought for parts. Then I decided to go with a Coyote crate motor. But looking at other builds I decided I didn't like the way the engine looked in the car. What to do? Well my builder Corey contacted me and told me he found a great deal on a 351 W. We talked about it and I bought it. The engine once put together should put out in excess of 450hp. That's plenty for this car. Now I'm in the air about what transmission to go with. My rear will be a shortened 8.8 out of the explorer. For the transmission I'm going with a HIPO T5. I considered a T56 but don't want to cut up my cars floor to make it fit.

Here are some pictures of the DSE mini tubs going in.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the new engine getting ready to go together. I'm at work right now posting from my Ipad. I'll post up more pics as the car goes along and more details as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My tires came in. Nice and FAT! :burnout:

I'm going with 10.5'' X 17 Bullits on the back with 235 35 17 tires on the rear and 8'' X 17 Bullits on the front with 255 45 17 tires on the front. I don't know how the front's will fit yet I'm hoping the MII front end will help them fit. If not I'll go to a smaller size.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the rear tires mocked up under the car. Now it's time to cut down the 8.8 rear and begin on the 4 link. Once that's all in place We will move up to the front. I'm holding off ordering the Shockwaves for the rear until the 4 link is in and I know what length to order.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New floors are installed and both rear Qtrs, doors and the tail light panel are all now in place. We will be cutting out the cowl vents. I had thought about shaving the rain gutter but decided against it. I love the look of a '66 Mustang and want it to keep the classic look. I will be doing a few small things but nothing major. I think it will be pretty unique with huge meats on the back slammed down to the ground.

Thats pretty much how she sits right now. We are moving along pretty well. I'm trying to keep the momentum going I'd like to have the car finished before Crusing the Coast in October if not then I certainly want it finished before Christmas.

Any opinions on the car and my plans?

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not there yet. Will post when we get there. Today I ordered my TCI Mustang II front suspension. It will have 2'' drop spindles, Power Rack and pinion steering, Wilwood brakes, SBF mounts for the 351W and single adjustable Shockwaves. I ordered from Stang-Aholics. I spoke with Ryan Peter there he was super helpful. This was my first order with them but will certainly not be my last. Ryan was more helpful than anyone I've spoke with at a vendor since I began this project. I'd also like to put a good word in for Josh Gladish at Ridetech. He gave me lots of good information and helped me in making my decision to go with the shockwaves. Good vendor support is important for me and is a big factor in where I buy my stuff.

I also got in my Wilwood master cylinder today. It gets me excited to see things coming together. I'll post up more pics as things move along.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Very cool man. Following this build with much interest!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still waiting on the TCI suspension. Ordered my Ididit steering column, cruise control and linkage for connecting to the front power steering. Looking at the G-force T5 transmission from Jegs. That's how I will go most likely. Also looking for a serpentine kit. I'm leaning towards the March style system right now. Any opinions? No new pics to share yet. Still doing body work. Should have something next week.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,880 Posts
Some pretty nice progress, great story. I work in oil industry too, in commissioning and startup. My philosophy pretty much echo's yours. Looking forward to seeing your car progress.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts